We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Blue Apron Holdings, Inc (APRN) is a leading internet retail business with stocks listed in the US. It opened the day at US$8.92 after a previous close of US$8.99. During the day the price has varied from a low of USD8.255 to a high of USD9.18. The latest price was USD8.83 (25 minute delay). Blue Apron is listed on the NYSE. All prices are listed in US Dollars.
How to buy shares in Blue Apron
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Blue Apron. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: APRN. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Blue Apron reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$9.01, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Blue Apron, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Blue Apron. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
What's in this guide?
- Blue Apron key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Blue Apron stock a buy or sell?
- Blue Apron performance over time
- Can I short Blue Apron shares?
- Blue Apron's financials
- How volatile are Blue Apron shares?
- Does Blue Apron pay a dividend?
- Have Blue Apron shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Blue Apron share priceUse our graph to track the performance of APRN stocks over time.
Blue Apron shares at a glance
|52-week range||US$2.01 - US$15|
|50-day moving average||US$8.7447|
|200-day moving average||US$7.3056|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||US$-5.454|
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Blue Apron stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Blue Apron price performance over time
|1 week (2021-02-18)||-0.11%|
|1 month (2021-01-27)||-20.59%|
|3 months (2020-11-27)||15.88%|
|6 months (2020-08-27)||26.69%|
|1 year (2020-02-27)||217.63%|
|2 years (2019-02-27)||733.02%|
|3 years (2018-02-27)||217.63%|
|5 years (2016-02-24)||N/A|
Blue Apron financials
|Revenue TTM||US$460.6 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$177.7 million|
|Return on assets TTM||-8.04%|
|Return on equity TTM||-69.94%|
|Market capitalisation||US$150.1 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Blue Apron shares
There are currently 2.1 million Blue Apron shares held short by investors – that's known as Blue Apron's "short interest". This figure is 23.9% down from 2.8 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Blue Apron shares can be evaluated.
Blue Apron's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Blue Apron's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Blue Apron shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Blue Apron shares traded daily (recently around 1.2 million). Blue Apron's SIR currently stands at 1.82. In other words for every 100,000 Blue Apron shares traded daily on the market, roughly 1820 shares are currently held short.
However Blue Apron's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Blue Apron shares, or, against the total number of tradable Blue Apron shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Blue Apron's short interest could be expressed as 0.12% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Blue Apron shares in existence, roughly 120 shares are currently held short) or 0.1531% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Blue Apron shares, roughly 153 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Blue Apron.
Find out more about how you can short Blue Apron stock.
Blue Apron share dividends
We're not expecting Blue Apron to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Blue Apron's shares ever split?
Blue Apron's shares were split on a 1:15 basis on 17 June 2019. So if you had owned 15 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Blue Apron shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 1400% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Blue Apron shares which in turn could have impacted Blue Apron's share price.
Blue Apron share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Blue Apron's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$2.01 up to US$15. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NYSE average) beta is 1, while Blue Apron's is -3.3914. This would suggest that Blue Apron's shares have been inversely-correlated to the average (for this exchange) – so when the broader market trended up or down, Blue Apron has bucked the trend.
Blue Apron overview
Blue Apron Holdings, Inc. operates direct-to-consumer platform that delivers original recipes, and fresh and seasonal ingredients. It also operates Blue Apron Market, an e-commerce market that provides cooking tools, utensils, pantry items, and other products. In addition, the company offers Blue Apron Wine, a direct-to-consumer wine delivery service that sells wines, which can be paired with its meals; and supplies poultry, beef, and lamb. It serves college graduates, young couples, families, singles, and empty nesters. The company offers its services through order selections on Website or mobile application primarily in the United States. Blue Apron Holdings, Inc. was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in New York, New York.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert