How to buy Aurora Cannabis shares
Own Aurora Cannabis shares in just a few minutes.
Aurora Cannabis Inc is a drug manufacturers—specialty & generic business with stocks listed in the US. Aurora Cannabis shares (ACB) are listed on the NYSE and all prices are listed in US Dollars.
How to buy shares in Aurora Cannabis
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Aurora Cannabis. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: ACB. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Aurora Cannabis reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Aurora Cannabis, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Aurora Cannabis. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Aurora Cannabis key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Aurora Cannabis stock a buy or sell?
- Aurora Cannabis performance over time
- Can I short Aurora Cannabis shares?
- Are Aurora Cannabis shares over-valued?
- Aurora Cannabis's financials
- How volatile are Aurora Cannabis shares?
- Does Aurora Cannabis pay a dividend?
- Have Aurora Cannabis shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Aurora Cannabis share priceUse our graph to track the performance of ACB stocks over time.
Aurora Cannabis shares at a glance
|52-week range||USD$0.6 - USD$19.68|
|50-day moving average||USD$8.6314|
|200-day moving average||USD$10.4887|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$0.216|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Aurora Cannabis stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Is Aurora Cannabis under- or over-valued?
Valuing Aurora Cannabis stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Aurora Cannabis's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Aurora Cannabis's P/E ratio
Aurora Cannabis's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 3x. In other words, Aurora Cannabis shares trade at around 3x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the trailing 12-month P/E ratio for the NASDAQ 100 at the end of 2019 (27.29). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
Aurora Cannabis financials
|Gross profit TTM||US$-33,539,000|
|Return on assets TTM||-7.31%|
|Return on equity TTM||-101.3%|
|Market capitalisation||US$587.5 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Aurora Cannabis shares
There are currently 19.7 million Aurora Cannabis shares held short by investors – that's known as Aurora Cannabis's "short interest". This figure is 12.5% up from 17.5 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Aurora Cannabis shares can be evaluated.
Aurora Cannabis's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Aurora Cannabis's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Aurora Cannabis shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Aurora Cannabis shares traded daily (recently around 2.6 million). Aurora Cannabis's SIR currently stands at 7.54. In other words for every 100,000 Aurora Cannabis shares traded daily on the market, roughly 7540 shares are currently held short.
However Aurora Cannabis's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Aurora Cannabis shares, or, against the total number of tradable Aurora Cannabis shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Aurora Cannabis's short interest could be expressed as 0.18% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Aurora Cannabis shares in existence, roughly 180 shares are currently held short) or 0% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Aurora Cannabis shares, roughly 0 shares are currently held short).
A SIR below 10% would generally be considered to indicate a fairly optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Aurora Cannabis.
Find out more about how you can short Aurora Cannabis stock.
Aurora Cannabis share dividends
We're not expecting Aurora Cannabis to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Aurora Cannabis's shares ever split?
Aurora Cannabis's shares were split on a 1:12 basis on 10 May 2020. So if you had owned 12 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Aurora Cannabis shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 1100% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Aurora Cannabis shares which in turn could have impacted Aurora Cannabis's share price.
Aurora Cannabis share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Aurora Cannabis's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$0.6 up to US$19.68. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NYSE average) beta is 1, while Aurora Cannabis's is 1.3317. This would suggest that Aurora Cannabis's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Aurora Cannabis overview
Aurora Cannabis Inc. produces and distributes medical cannabis products worldwide. It is vertically integrated and horizontally diversified across various segments of the cannabis value chain, including facility engineering and design, cannabis breeding, genetics research, production, derivatives, high value-add product development, home cultivation, wholesale, and retail distribution. The company produces various strains of dried cannabis, cannabis oil and capsules, and topicals kits for medical patients. It also sells vaporizers; consumable vaporizer accessories, including valves, screens, etc.; and herb mills for using CanniMed herbal cannabis products, as well as grinders and vaporizer lockable containers. In addition, the company engages in the development of medical cannabis products at various stages of development, including oral, topical, edible, and inhalable products; and operation of CanvasRX, a network of cannabis counseling and outreach centers. Further, it provides patient counselling services; design and construction services; and cannabis analytical product testing services. The company's brand portfolio includes Aurora, Aurora Drift, San Rafael '71, Daily Special, AltaVie, MedReleaf, CanniMed, Whistler, and ROAR Sports. Aurora Cannabis Inc. is headquartered in Edmonton, Canada.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert