Altimmune, Inc is a biotechnology business with stocks listed in the US. Altimmune shares (ALT) are listed on the NASDAQ and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Its last market close was US$12.92 – a decrease of 4.79% over the previous week.
How to buy shares in Altimmune
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Altimmune. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: ALT. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Altimmune reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$12.92, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Altimmune, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Altimmune. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Altimmune key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Altimmune stock a buy or sell?
- Altimmune performance over time
- Can I short Altimmune shares?
- Are Altimmune shares over-valued?
- Altimmune's financials
- How volatile are Altimmune shares?
- Does Altimmune pay a dividend?
- Have Altimmune shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Altimmune share priceUse our graph to track the performance of ALT stocks over time.
Altimmune shares at a glance
|Latest market close||USD$12.92|
|52-week range||USD$1.51 - USD$35.1|
|50-day moving average||USD$18.299|
|200-day moving average||USD$11.612|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$-4.161|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Altimmune stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Altimmune price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-21)||-4.79%|
|1 month (2020-08-28)||-26.67%|
|3 months (2020-06-26)||21.89%|
|6 months (2020-03-27)||353.33%|
|1 year (2019-09-27)||562.56%|
|2 years (2018-09-28)||193.64%|
|3 years (2017-09-28)||456.87%|
|5 years (2015-09-28)||893.85%|
Is Altimmune under- or over-valued?
Valuing Altimmune stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Altimmune's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Altimmune's P/E ratio
Altimmune's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 2x. In other words, Altimmune shares trade at around 2x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the trailing 12-month P/E ratio for the NASDAQ 100 at the end of 2019 (27.29). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
|Revenue TTM||US$4.2 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$-11,284,062|
|Return on assets TTM||-19.75%|
|Return on equity TTM||-52.58%|
|Market capitalisation||US$395.9 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Altimmune shares
There are currently 1.0 million Altimmune shares held short by investors – that's known as Altimmune's "short interest". This figure is 14.8% up from 892,601 last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Altimmune shares can be evaluated.
Altimmune's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Altimmune's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Altimmune shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Altimmune shares traded daily (recently around 1.6 million). Altimmune's SIR currently stands at 0.64. In other words for every 100,000 Altimmune shares traded daily on the market, roughly 640 shares are currently held short.
However Altimmune's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Altimmune shares, or, against the total number of tradable Altimmune shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Altimmune's short interest could be expressed as 0.03% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Altimmune shares in existence, roughly 30 shares are currently held short) or 0.0365% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Altimmune shares, roughly 37 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Altimmune.
Find out more about how you can short Altimmune stock.
Altimmune share dividends
We're not expecting Altimmune to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Altimmune's shares ever split?
Altimmune's shares were split on a 1:30 basis on 13 September 2018. So if you had owned 30 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Altimmune shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 2900% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Altimmune shares which in turn could have impacted Altimmune's share price.
Altimmune share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Altimmune's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$1.51 up to US$35.1. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Altimmune's is 1.4228. This would suggest that Altimmune's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Altimmune, Inc., a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company, focused developing treatments for liver disease, immune modulating therapies, and vaccines. The company develops HepTcell, an immunotherapeutic product candidate that has completed Phase I clinical trial for patients chronically infected with the hepatitis B virus; NasoShield, an anthrax vaccine to provide for protection after a single intranasal administration; NasoVAX, a recombinant intranasal vaccine product candidate; and AdCOVID, a single-dose intranasal vaccine to protect against COVID-19 Its preclinical stage products include ALT-801, a novel peptide-based dual GLP-1/Glucagon receptor agonist for the treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis; and ALT-702, an investigational tumor immunostimulant for treating cancer. The company also develops veterinary product candidates. It has a collaboration with the University of Alabama at Birmingham for the development of AdCOVID. Altimmune, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert