Yes, you CAN buy booze on Good Friday. We tell you where.
It's a question that pops up at least once every time Easter comes around: "Can you buy alcohol on Good Friday." The simple answer is yes... but not from your booze shop.
NSW law states that no takeaway alcohol can be sold on Christmas Day and Good Friday. This means that you can bet your bottom dollar your local will be shut and your liquid gold denied to you. If you, like many of us, have forgotten to stock up on the booze in the lead-up to the four-day long weekend, you do have a few options.
Feature image: 4 Pines
Restaurants, bars and other licensed venues can serve you booze
All licensed venues will be allowed to serve it to you on Good Friday between midday and 10pm, providing they're open. If you're thinking, "Great! I can head to my local pub and take home some bottles for my house party", think again. As per the law, you can't take-away on Good Friday so all booze bought must be drunk on the premises.
So what are your options for getting take home booze on Good Friday?
Buy from the producer / cellar door
To the Hunter Valley!
Failing that, with so many microbreweries in Sydney and other major cities, you won't have to travel too far to get a takeaway. While the law states that no takeaway alcohol may be sold on Good Friday, there's a loophole. Producers and cellar doors are exempt and will be able to sell you booze. For anyone in Sydney looking to buy a few beers who forgot to stock up in time, the answer is to head to your local brewery.
Here's a list of the ones that'll be open on Good Friday:
- Young Henrys, Newtown: Open 10am-7pm, food from Waterman's Lobster Co. available from midday. Beer, cider and gin available.
- Archie Rose Distilling, Rosebery: Open from midday to 10pm. Vodka, gin and white rye available.
- 4 Pines, Brookvale: Open 4pm-10pm. Beer available.
- Willie The Boatman, Tempe: Open 3pm-7pm. Beer available.
- Modus Operandi, Mona Vale: Open midday-10pm. Beer available.
- Rocks Brewing Company, Alexandria: Open midday-10pm. Beer available.
- The Grifter Brewing Company, Marrickville: Open midday-9pm. Beer available.
- Nomad Brewing Company, Brookvale: Open midday-6pm.
Deals for ordering alcohol online
Not quite Good Friday? Then you've still got time to order you alcohol online and have it delivered for the long weekend! These online stores can deliver alcohol quick-smart or let you Click and Collect on Thursday.
Click and collect within 2 hours
Order online and pick up your order in as little as 2 hours from your local Dan Murphy's
Weekly Dan Murphy's offers
Check out the advertised offers, bargain bin and clearance racks of Dan Murphy's