BUSSQ super review: Performance and fees
BUSSQ is an industry super funds for building, construction and civil industries. It offers a default MySuper product as well as several pre-mixed investment options.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
BUSSQ investment options
You'll be invested in the Balanced Growth option when you join BUSSQ. After joining the fund, you can switch to one of the following ready-made or sector-specific investment options if you'd like to.
What are the key features of BUSSQ?
- Industry super fund. BUSSQ is an industry super fund. It began as a fund for the Queensland building and construction sector; however, anyone is now free to join.
- Investment choices. Choose between some pre-mixed investment portfolios, individual asset class options or the default MySuper portfolio.
- MySuper investment option. The Balanced Growth option is the default MySuper option for members who don't wish to choose their own investment option. It's designed to suit most members.
- Default insurance cover. Eligible members receive automatic death and total permanent disablement (TPD) cover.
- Consolidate your super online. You can opt to consolidate your existing super into your new account when joining or any time after you've joined by logging into your online portal.
BUSSQ investment options explained
BUSSQ offers three types of investment options for you to choose from: MySuper, pre-mixed portfolios and asset class options. If you don't want to choose an option, your super will be invested in the Balanced Growth investment option which is a MySuper-authorised fund.
Pre-mixed investment options
The pre-mixed portfolios each invest in a range of different asset classes. Some have a higher allocation towards growth assets (like shares and property) and therefore a higher risk level.
|Pre-mixed investment option||Risk level||Asset allocation (rough estimate)|
This option is the highest risk level of all the pre-made options, with around 90% allocation to growth assets including local and international shares. It's designed for higher growth over the long term, and is suited for investors with a longer investment timeframe of at least 10 years.
|Balanced Growth (MySuper option)|
This is the default investment option which all members will be placed in if you don't choose a different option after joining. It's designed for growth over the medium to long term, and designed for members with an investment timeframe of at least 5 years. It has a bit less exposure to growth assets compared to the High Growth option.
This option has the lowest risk level of all the pre-made options, with much less allocation to growth assets and higher exposure to defensive assets including fixed interest and cash. It's designed for investors with a shorter investment timeframe of around 3 years (e.g.: if you're closer to retirement) or those with a low risk tolerance.
*Asset allocation between growth and defensive assets are a rough guide as of September 2021, and may shift slightly from time to time.
Single-sector investment options
These options are single asset class portfolios. You decide how much you want to invest in each of the options listed below.
- All Shares
- Australian Shares
- Australian Shares (Small companies)
- Diversified Fixed Interest
- International Shares
- International Shares (Emerging Markets)
What insurance does BUSSQ Super offer?
Members can access the following types of insurance cover automatically when joining:
- Total and permanent disablement cover. This type of cover provides a lump sum payment if you become totally and permanently disabled and can no longer work.
- Death cover. This policy provides a lump sum payment when you die, allowing you to provide for your loved ones and help them repay debts.
You can cancel, increase or adjust your insurance cover at any time.
How do I join BUSSQ Super?
You can complete an online application in around 15 minutes. You'll need to provide:
- Your personal details, including your name, address, date of birth and contact information
- Your Tax File Number (you do not have to give your super fund your TFN but if your fund doesn't have your TFN it won't be able to accept certain types of contributions from you and your benefit payments may be taxed at a higher rate than would otherwise apply)
- Details of your employer (if you'd like you'd like your super guarantee payments to be added to you new account).
Once you've completed the application you will receive your member number and a confirmation email with the details of your account.DISCLAIMER: This article may contain general advice. You should consider your own personal circumstances before deciding if a superannuation product is right for you. Superannuation is a long term investment and past performance is not indicative of future performance.
More guides on Finder
New report reveals best and worst super funds
Stockspot's 2021 super fund report lists UniSuper, AustralianSuper among it's best funds for fees & returns - but which are the worst?
“I was losing money”: How Ben escaped a poor performing super fund
After being charged hundreds of dollars in fees and getting poor returns, here's how Ben switched super funds.
Superhero Super: How to invest your super with Superhero
Superhero Super offers two different investment options which both give members more control over how their super is invested. Here's how the super account works.
New superannuation product by Superhero allows members to buy individual shares
Superhero, the app known for $0 brokerage trades and fractional share trading, has launched a super product. Here's how it differs from a standard super fund.
10 top-performing super funds for 2021 announced
The top-performing growth super fund returned 22% for the year, while the bottom-performing fund returned 13%.
What is superannuation?
Superannuation is the main way of saving for your retirement in Australia. Your superannuation is one big investment portfolio in your name that's managed for you by your super fund.
YourSuper tool: What to know before comparing your super fund
The ATO's new YourSuper tool ranks MySuper funds on their annual fees and performance, and allows you to compare 4 funds side-by-side.
Picking your first super fund this year? 6 things you should know
SPONSORED: Instead of taking the first one that's offered to you, why not figure out which super fund is actually best for you? You'll thank yourself later.
Finder Super Fund Awards 2021
The Finder Super Fund Awards 2021 recognise Australia's best super funds.
Top superannuation funds named for 2021: Is yours one of them?
Leading super research and ratings agency Chant West has revealed its 2021 super fund winners.
Ask an Expert