What is business turnaround and restructure finance?
Looking to get your business back on track? Find out what’s involved with business turnaround and restructure finance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Trying to rescue a struggling business can be a harrowing experience, with the threat of insolvency lurking behind every business decision. Financial troubles in your company are often caused by external factors that may be beyond the control of directors or shareholders. Whatever the reason, when problems begin it is important that the company acts calmly and quickly.
If you are trying to turn your business around, there are financing options available. Learn more about them, and if it could be an option for your business, in this guide.
What is business turnaround finance?
Some lenders in Australia specialise in restructure and turnaround finance. These services can provide you with the necessary funds to keep yourself trading, and also help you identify the changes that will need to be made to recover. Restructure finance can also help you finalise trading while minimising further loss to the business.
- Borrow up to $250,000
- Flexible lending criteria
- No hidden fees
100% confidential application
Moula Business Loan
An unsecured business loan with online application and no upfront or early repayment fees.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Interest rate: from 8.3% p.a. to 29.22% p.a.
- Comparison rate: from 15.64% p.a. to 52.14% p.a.
- Establishment Fee: 2% Establishment fee
- Minimum loan amount: $5,000
- Maximum loan amount: $250,000
Business lenders you can compare
What are my options?
Depending on the lender you opt for, restructure finance can provide you with a selection of potential routes to go down:
A restructuring company works with you to analyse all aspects of your business, identify areas for improvement and find where profitability can be increased. It can also provide support and advice for stakeholders who may be unsure of what to do next.
- By acting early, you can potentially save the company from taking more drastic action later on.
- In the wrong hands, restructuring can be a frustrating, expensive and an ultimately unsuccessful pursuit.
If you are consistently falling behind with your payments, you can opt for debt restructuring to have the company help you negotiate with creditors to give you more time to pay or find alternative funds and payment plans.
- Companies that maintain regular communications with their creditors can be optimistic about the chance of successful negotiations, especially with the backing of an experienced restructuring service.
- Ultimately the fate of your company lies in the hands of creditors who will want guarantees of repayments as soon as possible.
For a business feeling the effects of a sudden drop in sales, a short period of assisted cash management can help ease the minds of stakeholders and creditors. This will often include methods such as improving the company’s forecasting models and reviewing its cash requirements and management options.
- This option provides an efficient means of highlighting problems within your company and identifying solutions.
- Cash management will do little to confront existing debt problems or deal with larger issues created by falling revenue.
An independent administrator will be appointed by the director to assess the likelihood of the company being able to continue trading. This will usually involve meeting with creditors and attempting to come to an agreement regarding missed or overdue payments.
- This is easy and inexpensive to carry out
- It provides a comprehensive review of the company that can be used to identify problems and strengthen for the future.
- Attempts at voluntary administration are often misguided and requires expert guidance to have any chance of success, with only a fraction of businesses saved.
This involves the bank or another influential creditor appointing a receiver with the sole objective of recouping funds to settle the company’s debts. This can sometimes be achieved by selling assets, but may require the sale of the entire company.
- The bank can go a long way to steadying the ship and taking back control of a chaotic business.
- Liquidation is rarely avoided, with little incentive for the receiver to do more than reclaim creditors’ money as quickly as they can.
What to know before you apply
The avenue you choose will depend on the current status of your business and what you need out of the loan. Whatever you decide to do, there are a few issues that should be kept in mind:
- Ask your accountant for their thoughts but always back yourself up with a second opinion. It’s a good idea to do some additional research before you make a decision.
- There are many companies offering restructuring services online. Your best chance of success will be with an experienced and recommended firm.
- Watch out for upfront costs and always agree on a set price for the company’s services before you start.
Need to manage cash flow?
If outstanding invoices can help turn your business around, then you may want to consider invoice financing. It's a type of business loan that comes with reduced risk, no asset requirements or interest payments.
Compare the invoice financing products below.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Enjoy 60% off the Healthy Choice Air Fryer, 25% off Dyson's Pure Hot+Cool Link Air Purifier and 21% off Dell's G7 17 Gaming Laptop.
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single Zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or 4WDing, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Ask an Expert