After accidental death cover? Check out Bupa's Accidental Death Insurance policy and receive up to $1 million in cover.
When a loved one dies, it is always a tragic and emotionally stressful time, immediately afterwards, and as you adjust to your new life without that person in it. However, a sudden accidental death brings with it even more stress and emotional turmoil, because of its unexpectedness, and the unpreparedness of close family and friends.
Bupa Accidental Death Insurance is designed to provide financial help for your loved ones if you die unexpectedly. Fast and easy to apply for, this cover offers you the security and confidence you need to simply get on with your life.
Policyholders can choose their benefit amount, from $50,000 up to $1 million, and the benefit is paid as a lump sum when your family needs it the most. Premium discounts and benefit bonuses are other attractive features, while automatic indexation means you’ll have adequate cover in place well into the future.
What dos it cover?
Accidental death insurance will pay a lump sum benefit to your family if you die as the result of an accident. Bupa protects you with accidental death insurance that follows you wherever you travel around the world, and also makes it easy and affordable to apply for an manage your cover.
Bupa Accidental Death Insurance protects you and your family with:
- Your choice of benefit amount. With Bupa accidental death cover you can choose a benefit amount from $50,000 up to $1 million and if you are 56 years or older, you can choose a cover level up to $500,000. The higher the benefit amount you choose, the more expensive your premiums will be, however, when choosing a benefit amount, think about your family’s future, their everyday expenses when you’re not there and how much money they will need to maintain their financial stability if you were to die unexpectedly.
- A benefit paid as a lump sum. Bupa pays the benefit of your accidental death cover to your family as a lump sum amount, allowing them to use the money exactly as they need it, rather than rationing it out over an extended period of time. This allows your family to use the death benefit to pay for immediate costs such as the bills from the funeral, medical bills or fees from lawyers or accountants, and then spend the money to plan their future as they choose. This could mean paying off the mortgage to secure the family home, or making investments or savings plans for future education costs.
- Premium discounts. If you also have your health insurance policy with Bupa, you will receive a 10% discount off of your premiums. This means you are able to secure all of your insurance needs in one place, feel secure knowing that your health and your family’s future are looked after no matter what, and be rewarded for your foresight too. You can also be eligible for discounts if you choose a higher level of cover benefit.
- Benefit bonus. If a claim is made where accidental death is not the result of a motor vehicle accident, an additional 20% will be paid on top of your benefit amount. Or if you do die as the result of a motor vehicle accident, your family can claim for the Motor Vehicle Accident Benefit which is an additional 20% on top of your chosen benefit, up to the value of $50,000.
- Guaranteed acceptance. If you are an Australian resident between 16 and 69 years old, you are guaranteed to be approved for accidental death insurance with Bupa. You aren’t required to take a medical test, and your cover remains guaranteed renewable each year, as long as you keep your premiums current, Bupa will keep you covered even as your health and lifestyle factors change.
- Automatic indexation. Bupa will automatically increase your benefit amount by a minimum of 5% each year, to keep in line with inflation. This means you can feel secure in the knowledge that your chosen benefit amount will be relevant to the costs of the day, no matter when your family make a claim on your accidental death insurance.
- Level premiums. Your premiums will not increase as you get older, and are calculated based only on the level of cover you choose. You also won’t be charged any extra if you choose to pay your premiums annually or monthly.
When will this policy not pay any benefits?
A benefit will not be paid for the accidental death policy if death is caused by or related to;
- Suicide or any deliberate act. This is regardless of the policyholders mental health
- War or act of war or civil unrest
- The policyholder engaging in illegal activities
A benefit will not be paid for the additional motor vehicle accident cover if the motor vehicle that the policyholder was travelling in was:
- Being driven unlawfully
- Being used in a race, trial or contest for illegal purposes
- Driven by someone who was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This excludes drugs that were prescribed by a medical practitioner
- Being driven by someone that was in an unsafe condition as determined by a Bupa expert
If the death benefit is not in paid, the additional Motor Vehicle Accidental Death benefit will not be paid.
How do I make a claim with Bupa?
If you wish to make a claim under your Bupa Accidental Death Insurance policy, you’ll need to do so within 90 days of the insured event occurring, or as soon as is reasonably possible thereafter. With a commitment to fast claims processing, Bupa aims to resolve claims within 48 hours of receiving all information relevant to a claim.
With this in mind, it’s vital that you prepare and submit any information requested by Bupa as soon as possible. You’ll need to send Bupa:
- a completed claim form
- the policy certificate
- proof of your age (if you haven’t already provided this to Bupa)
- any other information the insurer requires to fully establish the circumstances of your claim.
If your claim is successful, Bupa will then make a benefit payment to:
- your nominated beneficiary, if you have one in place
- the policy owner, if he or she is different to the life insured and if there is no nominated beneficiary
- your estate, in cases where you are both the life insured and the policy owner and there is no nominated beneficiary.