We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Other deals available on finder.com.au
Find out more about Budget Direct Travel Insurance Coupons and Discount Codes
How do I use my Budget Direct discount code?
Step 1 – Getting a Quote
If you've left the finder.com.au and landed on the Budget Direct Travel Insurance website, the code should automatically appear on the right hand side. If it hasn't enter the valid Budget Direct Travel Insurance coupon code into the Promo Code section. While on this page, you'll also need to add in your:
- Departure Date
- Return Date
- Age of Adult Travellers
Once you've entered these details and you're ready to proceed with Budget Direct Travel Insurance quote, click the "Get a Quote" button.
Step 2 – Choosing your policy
On the right had side of the page, you should be able to see your Budget Direct Travel Insurance promo code displayed. Note: Make sure it is displayed, otherwise you may not be getting the discount you're entitled to. If it's not there, reenter the Budget Direct Travel Insurance coupon code.
This page gives you a great chance to review your cover options side-by-side. The table displays benefits such as:
- Overseas medical
- Rental Excess
- Additional Expenses
- Personal Liability
ON this page you'll also be able to choose your excess. You have three choices: $200, $100 and $0. You Can also select any additional Winter Sports cover you'll need.
Once you've decided on the Budget Direct Travel Insurance policy you want, click "Select".
Step 3 – Entering your policy details
During this step, you'll need to enter your:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Adult Traveller
- Dependant Children
In this section you can choose special Cover Options including extra cover for expensive items and cover for a pre-existing condition.
Once you're happy with you're Budget Direct cover, click "Continue".
Step 4 – Choosing your payment method & paying
One of the great things about Budget Direct Travel Insurance is that you can choose to pay with either Credit Card or with PayPal.
- PayPal. If you're choosing to pay with PayPal, you'll need to select PayPal in the drop-down menu and click "Proceed & Pay". Once you've done so, you'll be redirected to PayPal to complete the payment process.
- Credit Card. If you're paying with Credit Card, you'll need to enter the Card Holder's details, Credit Card number, CCV, and Expiry Date. Once you're done entering your details, click "Proceed & Pay".
Now you're done. Remember, if you have any changes you need to make, you've got a 14 day cooling off period where you can make changes. Congratulations on saving with your Budget Direct Travel Insurance coupon.
What policies are available from Budget Direct?
Budget Direct Travel Insurance offers the following policy options:
- Last Minute – worldwide cover that can be bought directly from your mobile phone. Includes unlimited overseas medical and hospital expenses, additional expenses, luggage and personal effects and personal liability cover.
- Essential – middle tier worldwide cover. Includes cancellation and amendment fees, unlimited overseas medical and hospital expenses, hospital cash allowance, trip curtailment, additional expenses, travel delay expenses, luggage and personal effects, delayed luggage, travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques, theft of cash, some personal accident cover, personal liability, rental car excess and alternative transport expenses.
- Comprehensive – the most comprehensive worldwide cover. Includes everything covered by Essential cover with higher benefit amounts in most cases, plus cover for resumption of journey, Events 1 – 4 of personal accident cover, loss of income, hijack and pet care.
- Annual Multi-Trip – worldwide cover for multiple trips per year. Includes everything covered by Comprehensive, with equivalent benefit amounts.
- Domestic – Australia-only cover. Includes everything covered by Comprehensive with mostly lower benefit amounts. Excludes overseas medical and hospital expenses, hospital cash allowance, resumption of journey, travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques, loss of income, hijack and pet care; all of which are not covered.
Budget Direct also offers the following optional policy upgrades and amendments:
- Reduce or waive your excess
- Upgrade to snow sports cover
- Increase your cover for additional specified luggage.
Who underwrites Budget Direct?
Budget Direct Travel Insurance is part of the international Budget Insurance Group, which covers millions of people worldwide. Budget Direct Travel Insurance is arranged by Auto & General Services Pty Ltd on behalf of the insurer, Auto & General Insurance Company Limited, which underwrites the policies. Auto & General Insurance Company Limited is an Australian insurance company regulated by APRA and a member of the Insurance Council of Australia.
Pros and Cons of Budget Direct
Insuring your trip with Budget Direct gives you access to a range of great benefits including:
- Reduce or remove your excess
- Buy insurance at the last minute with their Last Minute policy
- Rental car excess cover included in most policies
- Up to $5 million personal liability cover
- Save with a multi trip policy
How do I apply for Budget Direct Travel Insurance?
Getting a quote for Budget Direct Travel Insurance is fast and easy. Either call 1800 444 424 or if you have a query, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The fastest way of all is to click on the Get a Quote button on their website and fill in the required fields including:
- Destination country
- Departure and return dates
- Ages of travellers.
Then simply click on the Get a Quote button to see your estimated premium. NOTE: You should always read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) before buying travel insurance, to ensure you have cover for everything you need.
How do I make a claim with Budget Direct?
If you need to make a claim on your Budget Direct Travel Insurance policy, it’s important that you notify them as soon as possible. You will also need to provide all information they ask for, such as police reports, valuations, medical reports, receipts or proof of ownership, so the claim can be processed correctly.
Your claim must be submitted within 30 days of your return to Australia to ensure you are paid the full benefit amount. Some excesses may apply, depending on the policy and if you are a business traveller entitled to claim an input tax credit, the amount to be paid will be reduced by that amount.
Budget Direct F.A.Qs
Q: When should I buy my Budget Direct Travel Insurance policy?
- A: You should purchase it as soon as you have paid for your trip. That way you are covered for cancellations and lost deposits for the period before you leave on your trip.
Q: How can I pay for my Budget Direct Travel Insurance?
- A: You can choose from a range of payment options. Budget Direct accepts payment via PayPal or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
Q: What happens if I need to extend my policy?
- A: You can extend your policy, as long as you notify Budget Direct as soon as possible and at least two days before your cover expires. You can only extend it once and an additional premium may be charged.
Q: Are pre-existing medical conditions covered?
- A: Only those listed as being covered in the PDS and only if you have not been hospitalised for any of those conditions in the last two years. Conditions not on the list are not covered.
Q: What activities are covered in Budget Direct’s snow sports upgrade?
- A: Big foot skiing, cat skiing, cross-country skiing, glacier skiing, heli-skiing, ice hockey, lugging, mono skiing, off-piste skiing, off-piste snowboarding, recreational ski or snowboard racing, skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling and tobogganing.
Q: Am I covered for motorcycling overseas?
- A: Provided you are wearing a helmet and have a driver’s licence appropriate for the country you are in and the class of motorcycle you are riding.
Can I cancel my Budget Direct policy if I’m not happy with it?
If the cover you take is not suitable for your needs and you decide to cancel your policy, you may return it to Budget Direct within 14 days of purchase for a full refund. This is providing no claim has arisen, you have not commenced your journey and you have not exercised any other rights under your policy. If you decide to cancel your policy after the 14 day cooling off period, you may do so, but no refund will be paid on your premium.
Compare quotes from our travel insurance brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
More guides on Finder
Tasmania electricity prices drop 1 July. How much will you save?
Households in Tasmania frustrated with high electricity bills will welcome the upcoming price drop which could save them up to $145 per year.
10 knitwear trends we’re rocking this winter
Look hot while you’re staying warm: Here are 60+ knits to shop no matter what budget or aesthetic you're rocking.
5 tax tips every Australian property investor needs to know this financial year
As we reach the end of the financial year, Australian property investors need to work out what they can claim and organise their records.
Virgin Australia announces free flights competition for vaccinated Aussies
Roll up your sleeves because COVID-19 vaccine incentives are on their way.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best deals in Australia today
Today's best Prime Day deals include: 50% off Oodie winter hoodies, 45% off Bose 700 headphones, cheap TEAC 4K UHD smart TVs.
Best Australian EOFY sales 2021: Dyson, eBay + heaps more
Score big this end of financial year with 85% off homewares, 80% off fashion and 60% off tech.
Madison Beer and Vanessa Hudgens launch skincare brand Know Beauty
Know Beauty includes cleansers, moisturisers and serums rooted in DNA personalisation. Here's how you can get your hands on it.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
Amazon Prime Day: Best global store deals to shop before time runs out
Samsung, Hasbro, KitchenAid, Lenovo, Nautica – take advantage of these Prime Day deals before they disappear.
Ask an Expert