The Boxing Day travel deals we’re expecting to bag in 2019
Discounted flights, hotels, tours and experiences are just around the corner.
Not just a public holiday (though that is something to celebrate), Boxing Day is renowned for being one of the biggest sales dates on the calendar.
It's a day when all the best post-Christmas deals come out of the woodwork. And we're not just talking cheap tinsel and Christmas cards. Everything from flights and cruises to hotels and holiday packages go on sale.
So if you're thinking of booking that 2020 getaway today, think again, because it might be better to hold out until Boxing Day when the real deals get released.
While travel brands don't tend to release their deals until the day, we've put on our sleuthing hats and sussed out a few hot sales that are coming our way on 26 December.
We've also looked to previous Boxing Day deals to see who's notorious for being involved. Judging from past performance we're putting big bets that Jetstar, Contiki, Qatar, Carnival Cruises and Expedia will be offering sales on the day.
Here's the goss:
Travel companies that are definitely having Boxing Day sales this year
- G Adventures: 25% off select tours. On sale from 25 December 2019 - 31 January 2020.
- Flight Centre: This one is anyone's guess but Flight Centre has already set up a teaser on the site for its sale so it's definitely on. Last year the online travel agent had Europe flights from $638 return on Scoot or $884 return on China Southern.
- Contiki: 25% off select trips worldwide. On sale from 26 December - 6 January.
- Trip.com: Up to 35% off tours and tickets worldwide. On sale until 31 December.
- Qatar: Europe flights from $1,109. Ends 31 December.
- Uniworld: Up to 30% off cruises. Ends 3 January.
- P&O Cruises: $1 deposits. This sale started over Black Friday but runs until 25 February so we're calling it a Boxing Day sale, too.
- Topdeck: Up to 20% off last minute travel deals.
- Accor: Up to 25% off. On sale from 26-31 December.
- Klook: We may or may not know that Klook is having a Boxing Day sale.
Top Boxing Day deals from last year (that could be repeated again this year)
- Qatar Airways: Europe flights from $1,079 return
- Emirates: International flights from $969 return
- Jetstar: Flights from $37
- Air New Zealand: Flights to New Zealand from $189
- Trafalgar: 10% off Europe and Britain train trips
- Cebu Pacific: Flights to the Philippines from $119
- RedBalloon: 50% off experiences
- P&O Cruises: $249 cruises
- G Adventures: 25% off tours worldwide
- Uniworld: 30% off select cruises
Our top 5 predictions for Boxing Day travel sales
- Domestic flights for under $40: Jetstar have been competitively selling flights for $40 or under throughout the year. With Boxing Day as the perfect excuse there's a good chance one, or both, will offer flights in the $30s.
- Europe flights for under $1,000: We saw this happen in 2018 and we've got a hunch Qatar and Emirates will come through again with European flights in the $900s.
- Up to 30% off hotels: We have an inkling big name brands like Accor, Hamilton Island and Travelodge might come up with these goods. If nothing else, online booking sites like Hotels.com and Expedia are likely to come through for us.
- Up to 65% off tours. TourRadar almost always discounts this heavily over sales events like Black Friday.
- $1 deposit cruises. P&O is already doing this but Princess Cruises and Azamara have a tendency to offer super low deposits during sales. Only time will tell.
Most Boxing Day travel deals start at midnight 26 December 2019 though some do launch earlier. Stay on top of them all on our Boxing Day travel deals page. Updated daily.
- WA travel vouchers: Who qualifies for the $1 million in free travel?
- Virgin Australia becomes the first Australian airline to offer flexible bookings until 2021
- Tasmanians to receive $150 in vouchers to boost local tourism
- New DiDi rideshare service shaves 20% more off Sydney rides
- Queensland’s NSW and ACT travel ban: Everything you need to know