In the market for a new computer? Been waiting a while to upgrade your laptop? Well, now is the perfect time to invest.
You probably already know that Boxing Day is one of the main shopping days in Australia. But, why is Boxing Day such a massive shopping event? Well, unlike pre-Christmas sales, the Boxing Day sales extend to include discounts on big-ticket technology items, including cameras, TVs and computers. That's right, Boxing Day means loads of discounts on tech. So, if you’re in the market for a new laptop, now is the time to buy!
To give you an idea of exactly how many great sales and discounts there are, Aussies spent over $2 billion on Boxing Day in 2014. For the Boxing Day sales period, which runs from 26 December to 15 January, everyone over the age of 14 spent $850 on average – an absolutely enormous figure given the median full-time weekly salary is roughly $883 after tax*.
Best places to shop for laptops in Boxing Day sales:
Best computer deals
Which retailers had sales last year and what were the savings?
Out of the retailers who stock laptop computers, here are some that had a great Boxing Day deal:
Savings varied greatly between different retailers. Retailers like Catch of the Day already have heavily discounted prices on laptops and desktop computers, so customers typically saved between $20-$100. On the other hand, stores like Dick Smith, whose prices sit much closer to the recommended retail price, offered significant savings. In fact, Dick Smith had a range of laptops on sale for under $500.
Here are a few of the discounts and sales from previous years.
- Dick Smith: Computers under $500 sale – Toshiba Satellite 15.6" Notebook for $349.
- Microsoft store: Up to $110 off Surface Pro 3 devices.
- Lenovo: Up to $1200 off ThinkPad tablets, laptops, ThinkCentre desktops, ThinkStation workstations and ThinkServer services.
- Harvey Norman: Up to 50% off – Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz i5 for $1188, was $1349.
Which laptops and computers will be be on sale?
Which retailers should you shop at and which retailers have the best guarantees?
There are many factors at play when deciding where to shop. To help decide, we've outlined which retailers offer free shipping and returns. We've also outlined the guarantees and return policies for major retailers.
- oo.com.au: Only on selected small items. Larger items have a calculated shipping cost depending on where you live.
- Catch of the Day: Free shipping when you register with Club Catch.
- Appliances Online: Free shipping to selected metropolitan areas.
- Lenovo: Shipping is free of charge in Australia.
- Microsoft - Content: Free shipping throughout December 2015.
- Microsoft - Content: All products must be returned with reasonable care having been taken. All boxed software and video games must be returned with their seal intact. Proof of purchase is required.
- Lenovo: Return your product as you received it, in its original packaging, within 14 days of delivery.
- oo.com.au: If you purchase virtually anything from oo.com.au, you can return it for your money back. Returns must be initiated within 30 days, and the product must be unused and in original condition.
- Appliances Online: You can arrange for your appliance to be exchanged for a similar product within 14 days of delivery, or return it for a credit towards your next appliance purchase.
- JB Hi-Fi: Returns are accepted if the product is unused with original packaging and returned within 30 days. NB: According to this article on Choice, JB Hi-Fi staff members sometimes refuse to issue returns. If you're having trouble getting a return approved, you can refer to this JB Hi-Fi returns policy brochure. Page 3 unequivocally states 'change of mind' returns are accepted.
- Catch of the Day: Only accepts returns if product is faulty.
- Grays Online: Only accepts returns on items purchased at buy-it-now prices.
- Harvey Norman: Only accepts returns if product is faulty.
- Dick Smith: Only accepts returns if product is faulty.
- The Good Guys: Only accepts returns if product is faulty.
Guarantees and Warranties
Under Australian consumer law, you are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
If you receive a product and it's damaged or faulty, you are entitled to a full refund or exchange. If you have trouble obtaining a refund for a faulty product, refer to the guidelines from the ACCC.
Why buy a laptop online? Is it worth buying a laptop in the Boxing Day sales?
When will we find out what discounts are available?
We will keep this page updated with discounts as they are released. Scroll down to see the current list of available deals.
Deals you can take advantage of now
Up to 60% off sheet sets + FREE shipping on orders over $150
Save up to 60% on luxury sheet sets plus free shipping on orders over $150 at Bed Bath N’ Table. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off quilt covers + FREE shipping on orders over $150
Get up to 50% off quilt covers plus free shipping on orders over $150 at Bed Bath N’ Table. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off beach towels + FREE shipping on orders over $150
Get up to 50% off beach towels plus free shipping on orders over $150 at Bed Bath N' Table. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off outdoor living and dining + FREE shipping on orders over $150
Get up to 50% off outdoor living and dining plus free shipping on orders over $150 at Bed Bath N' Table.
Boxing Day Sale-up to 50% off Selected Styles
Boxing Day Sale up to 50% off Selected Styles at Wrangler.Conditions apply
Save up to $150 on Xbox One consoles
25% off ibis hotels in the UK and Ireland
Get 25% off ibis hotels in the UK and Ireland. Valid on stays from 5 December until 17 April. Le Club members get an additional 5% off. Conditions Apply