Boxing Day computer sales 2020
Get a head start on the new year by upgrading your computer this Boxing Day.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Computers are an essential part of modern life, so much so that not owning one can put you at a significant disadvantage in work and school environments. The problem is that computers aren't exactly cheap, even with all the advances in low-cost, power-efficient technology over the years.
Boxing Day provides a welcome reprieve from this trend. Big discounts across PCs, laptops and computing accessories are commonplace, with brands like Dell, Lenovo and Microsoft often slashing hundreds or even thousands of dollars off their popular systems. If you've been eyeing off a Microsoft Surface tablet, a Lenovo 2-in-1 or a beefy Dell XPS gaming rig, Boxing Day is the time to take the plunge.
We've hunted down a selection of top Boxing Day computer deals and listed them in the table below. Or, you can check out our Boxing Day sales hub for more.
Computer deals you can get right now
Popular Computers & Laptops coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|27 Oct 2020||20% off the best Dell tech products||PD2****|
|20 Oct 2020||FREE Razer Carabiner pouch worth US$19.99||BAG****|
|20 Oct 2020||FREE Team Razer V2 lanyard||SLI****|
|7 Sep 2020||18% off all PCs, monitors and accessories||INT****|
|29 Oct 2020||Up to 81% off + extra 10% off top deals||********|
Best places to shop for computers and laptops on Boxing Day
Which retailers will offer computer deals on Boxing Day?
Judging by past years, a lot of Aussie tech retailers will be participating in the Boxing Day sales by discounting a variety of computers, laptops and accessories. Some of the big retailers to keep an eye on include:
What computers will be on sale?
If retailers follow the trends established by recent sales such as Black Friday, we're likely to see some pretty big discounts across a wide range of computers and laptops. Pre-built PCs from brands like Dell, Lenovo and HP as well as custom-built systems from retailers like Newegg, PC Byte and mwave are almost certain to receive big price cuts, as are name-brand laptops from companies like Razer, Asus and Acer.
Apple's MacBooks are also likely to go on sale, along with its extensive range of iPads (especially older models). Expect Microsoft to offer big discounts on its entire Surface line, including Surface laptops, Surface tablets and the new Surface Go.
What do the different retailers offer?
Price isn't the only factor when deciding where to shop on Boxing Day. Shipping and returns policies are also worth considering, as is the quality of customer service should anything go wrong with your purchase.
We've outlined the shipping and returns policies for a few of the bigger tech retailers below:
- Amazon: Orders of $49 or more fulfilled by Amazon AU come with free standard delivery. Amazon Prime members receive free expedited delivery on all orders fulfilled by Amazon AU, regardless of cost.
- Catch: Free shipping for Club Catch members on eligible orders of $45 or more.
- Appliances Online: Free shipping to most metropolitan areas and some regional centres.
- Lenovo: Shipping is free of charge in Australia.
- Dell: Delivery costs are part of the sticker price.
- Microsoft Store: Free shipping for all orders Australia-wide.
Accepts change-of-mind returns
- Microsoft Store: Eligible products bought between 27 October and 31 December can be returned free of charge until 31 Jan 2019. Products must be returned in the same condition they were shipped. Boxed software and video games can only be returned if their seal is still intact.
- Amazon Australia: New, unopened items fulfilled by Amazon AU can be returned within 30 days of delivery.
- Lenovo: Return your product as you received it, in its original packaging, within 7 days of delivery.
- Dell: 15-day returns if you change your mind, so long as the product is in as-shipped condition.
- Appliances Online: You can arrange for your appliance to be exchanged for a similar product within 14 days of delivery or return it for a credit towards your next appliance purchase.
- Dick Smith: Accepts change-of-mind returns within 14 days of purchase on Dick Smith exclusive brands.
- JB Hi-Fi: Returns are accepted if the product is unused with original packaging and returned within 30 days.
No change-of-mind returns
- Catch: Only accepts returns if product is faulty.
- Grays Online: Only accepts returns on items purchased at buy-it-now prices.
- Harvey Norman: Only accepts returns if the product is faulty.
- Dick Smith: Doesn't accept change-of-mind returns on non-Dick Smith exclusive brands.
- The Good Guys: Only accepts returns if product is faulty.
Guarantees and warranties
Under Australian consumer law, you are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.
If you receive a product and it's damaged or faulty, you are entitled to a full refund or exchange. If you have trouble obtaining a refund for a faulty product, refer to the guidelines from the ACCC.
Should I buy online or in-store?
These days, it makes more and more sense to shop online during sales events like Boxing Day. Not only do you avoid the crowds, but you also have the convenience of comparing prices from multiple retailers quickly and easily, plus you can seek out reviews to better inform your buying decision.
Shopping online is especially valuable when purchasing a new computer or laptop, as you have far more retailers and products to compare. Custom-built PCs, for instance, aren't sold in-store, so online is the only way to order them. The same goes for many high-end pre-built PCs and laptops.
There is something to be said for legging it around your local computer stores, though. Retailers occasionally offer in-store-only deals better than anything you can find online, plus there's always a chance of haggling a salesperson down or getting them to throw in a few extra goodies to close the sale.
The other big benefit of braving the Boxing Day crowds is a simple fact that you can take your new computer, laptop or tablet home then and there. Online orders can take days or even weeks to arrive, especially during the busy holiday season, so if you don't want to wait to take your new toy for a spin, shopping in-store might be the best option.
Image source: Getty
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best Tablets in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of computer tablets to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Best cheap laptops in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of cheap laptops of every kind to determine the best available in Australia for all purposes.
Black Friday Alert: Early-bird deals from The Good Guys
The Good Guys is quietly sneaking online deals onto its Black Friday sales hub. Here are the biggest discounts so far – including $1,000 off 8K TVs.
Best PC speakers in Australia 2020
Does your laptop or desktop PC need more sound? We've found the 7 best PC speakers in Australia for a variety of budgets and purposes.
Best Prime Day deals still available from Amazon US and UK
You can still grab a great Prime Day deal with global offers on OPPO smartphones, Seagate game drives and more.
Amazon Prime Day 2020: Best Samsung deals
Samsung's best Amazon Prime Day deals include 24% off Galaxy Note 20 smartphones, 40% off Galaxy Buds and 1TB SSDs for $269.
Best 2-in-1 laptops in Australia
Our expert team spent hundreds of hours testing laptops to find the six best 2-in-1 laptops you can buy.
Amazon Prime Day: The best bargains so far [Updated]
Our Amazon shopping experts have sifted through thousands of Prime Day deals to bring you the cream of the crop. Here are the best bargains so far.
60+ of the best Amazon Prime Day 2020 deals
Top deals include up to 44% off WD hard drives, up to 30% off B&O speakers and up to 30% off selected Lenovo laptops.
Ask an Expert