7 sites to book international train tickets online in a flash
Love travelling but hate flying? Consider exploring your next holiday destination by rail.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Say goodbye to arriving at the airport hours in advance, dealing with turbulence and being bound to your seat. Exploring a new place by train is a great alternative way to travel whenever and wherever you like. With scenic routes and stations located in city centres, you get to experience the beauty of your trip and your destination first-hand.
Travel companies make it easy to book your train tickets online, while flexible passes and travel experts make planning a breeze. No time to pick up your ticket? Some companies even deliver it right to your doorstep. Now you can save on your purchase and buy more souvenirs when you use our discount codes.
Where to book train tickets online
Established in 2006, Eurail.com makes it easy for travellers to explore up to 28 countries with a single pass.
- Choose from three different pass types: Select Pass (bordering countries), Global Pass (all 28 countries) or One Country Pass
- Complimentary Eurail reservation service when you book your train ticket on the website
- Offers secure delivery to anywhere in the world or to your hotel or hostel in Europe
- Dedicated customer service will answer your enquiry in eight hours or less
Trusted by nearly three million travellers each year, Rail Europe makes it easy to reach more than 15,000 destinations in Europe’s top cities.
- Official distributor of French and Swiss railways and other train tickets including Eurail Passes and Eurostar
- Travel experts are on hand to help with booking and planning your itinerary
- Free train travel book, coupons and helpful reviews from fellow travellers are available on the website and social media pages
Compares more than 600 train, bus and flight options in Europe and lets you see departure and arrival times all on one page.
One of Europe's lead distributors of train tickets, find everything you need for an epic journey by rail across the continent.
- Get rail passes to 30 European countries
- Premium shipping services available to more than 50 countries
- Book a pass and get extras like free ferries, cheaper sightseeing tours and discounted hostels
Reserve train tickets for journeys across Europe in just minutes with Loco2’s clean, easy-to-use booking system.
- Search for point-to-point fares between European cities, ideal for those who don’t need a multi-day or unlimited rail pass
- Official agents for tail in the UK, France, Spain, Germany and Italy, Loco2 offers tickets in 25 countries and to 20,000 rail stations
- Set up booking alerts for a notification when train fares are available or lowered
Image: Rail Plus
Selling everything from Amtrack to Thalys, Rail Plus offers point-to-point rail tickets and multi-stop passes for train travel around the world.
Book passes and tickets from around the world, including Europe, Asia, North America and Australia, from International Rail.
- Most tickets are delivered within 48 hours of purchase
- Offers a price-beat guarantee
- Book extras like local city transport, local SIM cards, airport connections and sightseeing along with your pass
What do I need to know about booking trains online?
Are train tickets cheaper in advance or on the day of travel?
Train tickets are often cheaper when you book them in advance. Depending on your destination, you can purchase your ticket between three to six months in advance of your intended travel dates.
Which of these retailers offer delivery?
- Eurail: Standard shipping from $13 and Premium shipping from $35 to all countries
- Rail Plus: Standard shipping (registered or express) is $10, for couriered shipping it's $18. Select tickets offer e-Vouchers, which are free of charge.
Can train tickets be refunded?
The refund policy of each travel company varies with destination. Kindly check the terms and conditions before purchase.
You can refund a Eurail pass if:
- You ordered your pass directly from Eurail.com
- The pass is unused and has not been activated at a European train station
- It is within one year from the purchase date
- Shipping charges are not refundable
You can refund a Rail Europe pass if:
- Tickets are returned at least three days prior to departure date
- It’s unused and unvalidated and returned to your travel agent or sent back to your local Rail Europe office
- You include a short note and original booking number must be included in the traceable mail
You can refund a ticket from Loco2 if:
- You’ve booked a ticket that permits refunds (this will be listed in the fare conditions)
- You’ve requested a ticket cancellation within your Loco2 account
- You have a non-flexible ticket, but an exceptional circumstance (i.e. illness or bereavement)
You can refund a ticket from Rail Plus if:
- The pass has not been used, validated or exchanged
- The unused point-to-point ticket is refunded at least three days prior to the travel date
- You're willing to forfeit a 25% cancellation fee and the booking fee
You can refund a ticket from Interrail if:
- The pass has not been used
- You're willing to forfeit 15% of the pass price
Want to buy cheap rail ticket online? Use one of our coupons:
More guides on Finder
Where to buy discounted Xbox Series X games online
Don't pay full price on Xbox Series X video games. You can save over 30% on discounted next-gen Xbox Series games at these online stores.
Top 10 places to buy sleek and stylish jewellery online
Shopping for jewellery has never been easier, especially with these top ten online stores for the next time you want to refresh your bling.
Queensland travel restrictions | What’s open in October 2020?
Here’s everything you need to know about travelling in Australia’s sunshine state in October 2020.
Canberra and the ACT travel restrictions: What to do in October 2020
Your complete guide to what you can and can’t do in the ACT this spring.
Where can I travel in Australia as restrictions ease?
From accommodation and restaurants to tourist attractions and transport, we break down what is and isn't open in each state for when you travel next.
Victoria travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Regional Victorians are free to travel within the state – but what's open and what's not? Here's what you need to know.
Where can you go in New South Wales in October 2020? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts travel bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Best sites to learn a language online
Discover four of the best online language courses that can get you speaking in next to no time.
Day trips from Amsterdam you can make by rail
From Brussels to Zaanse Schans, here are 10 destinations you can make a day trip to from Amsterdam.
5 sites where you can buy travel voucher deals now and book them later
Don’t let that travel deal slip away just because you’re not sure when you can go.
Ask an Expert