Best Japan tours and tour companies for 2021
Catch bright cherry blossoms in spring or the best powder in winter, these are the top tours to book for Japan.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From the skyscrapers of Tokyo and the top of Mount Fuji to the narrow alleyways lined with izakayas and ramen shops, to the tranquil gardens overflowing with brilliant hues of pink in spring, Japan is full of wonders that will satisfy just about any traveller.
Whether you’re a green thumb in search of perfectly manicured gardens, a foodie in looking for the world’s best sushi, or an adrenaline junkie after powder-soft snow, we’re here to help you find the best Japan tour for your tastes.
Our favourite Japan tour companies
Leaving no stone unturned, Wendy Wu Tours makes sure you get the absolute most of your experience in Japan, whether it's hiking Mount Fuji, seeing the snow monkeys soaking in natural onsens or tasting sake at a brewery – all without ever skimping on creature comforts.
- Best for: Immersive, bucket list experiences
- Cost: High-end
- Our favourite itinerary: Trails of Japan mixes iconic highlights with unique experiences while taking you across central Japan, from Tokyo to Nagano, Takayama to Kyoto and across to Koyasan and Osaka over an immense two weeks.
2. Nexus Holidays
Including flights in all its tours, Nexus Holidays’ budget-friendly holidays pack in as many city sights as possible without skimping on quality accommodation.
- Best for: Sightseers on a budget
- Cost: Mid-range
- Our favourite itinerary: Impressions of Japan is perfect if you don’t have much time. It's a 9 day itinerary that squeezes in the highlights of Japan including Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Mount Fuji and Tokyo.
3. G Adventures
Whether you're a budget backpacker or an adventurous soul, G Adventures supplies fresh, unique and personalised small group tours that pack in as many activities as possible.
- Best for: Small group tours, active tourists
- Cost: Mid-range
- Our favourite itinerary: Dust of your skis with the Sapporo Snow Festival and Japan Winter Highlights tour and explore some of the best powder this side of the nation. Then, wind down by catching the local colour and culture of the annual snow festival.
Other tour companies that offer tours in Japan:
Does your company belong in this list?
Best companies for different travel styles
Best cheap Japan tour company:
- Gate1 Travel: Choose the independent travel route to explore at your own pace while keeping costs low in the Land of the Rising Sun. Land tours start from $2,469 for 9 days.
- Intrepid: Constant deals and discounts on Asia tours make Intrepid a powerhouse for affordable Japan tours that are worth so much more. Tours start from $2,350 for 9 days.
- G Adventures: Keep your wallet happy with G Adventures' range of shoestring tours geared at the 18–30s age bracket, which have everything you need and nothing you don't to capture the highlights of the country. Tours start from $1,512 for 6 days.
Best luxury Japan tours company:
- Wendy Wu Tours: Pursuing quality and luxury, Wendy Wu Tours don't skip a beat, ensuring you're well refreshed from your hotel stay to your coach transfer, to make sure you're ready for the next exciting highlight of Japan.
- Gate 1 Travel: Escorted and partially escorted travel options mean you won't have to lift a finger to organise the picture-perfect trip with all the bells and whistles. Longer trips through China and Hong Kong are also available for those seeking to see and do more.
- Trafalgar Holidays: Kick back and relax as Trafalgar coordinates the best hotel stays, full meal options (including buffet breakfasts) and comfortable transfers from day one.
Best Japan cherry blossom tour company:
- Wendy Wu Tours: Touring Japan year-round, Wendy Wu Tours picks up the pace in April for the peak cherry blossom season with four of its bespoke tours paying special attention to catching the sakura in bloom.
- Japan Deluxe Tours: From Tokyo to Hiroshima and Osaka to Kyoto, Japan Deluxe Tours can take you there during cherry blossom season for unique experience backdropped by the dusting of pink cherry blossom hues.
Best Japan ski tours company:
- G Adventures: You won't be shortchanged on snow time with G Adventures' dedicated winter highlights tours as they take you to the peaks of the best resorts in the nation.
- Topdeck: Why give yourself a day on the slopes when you can barrel down the best over a week? Topdeck knows what you're after and has geared tours for keen ski bunnies and nothing else.
- Contiki: With three winter wonder tours under its belt, spending two weeks immersed in Japan's highlights and best snowfields with like-minded individuals is a breeze.
Popular Japan tour routes
Tokyo – Kyoto – Osaka
Get a taste for the country's most frequented cities, including the capital Tokyo and the traditional Kyoto. While you could spend weeks, even months, exploring Tokyo, a week is sufficient to blitz through it all while Kyoto and Osaka deserve at least two days.
A Week In Japan from Wendy Wu Tours
Travel to Japan in style with luxury tour experts Wendy Wu and gaze upon Tokyo's beautiful shrines, hit the foothills of Mount Fuji, play with deer at Nara Deer Park and climb the castle in Osaka.
- Tour company: Wendy Wu
- Best for: First timers
- Length of tour: 9 days
Tokyo – Kyoto – Hiroshima
The idyllic mix of sightseeing, culture and history, this route takes you from the islands east to west indulging in iconic sights such as Tokyo Tower and the Shibuya Crossing, the traditional temples and geishas of Kyoto and the reconstructed Hiroshima.
Iconic Japan from G Adventures
Soak up the sights and sounds of Tokyo, Tsumago, Kanazawa, Hiroshima and Kyoto first-hand with a barrel of in-depth activities such as visiting a samurai family home, chopstick and gold leaf painting, and meeting with a local monk at one of the many temples included in your tour.
- Tour company: G Adventures
- Best for: Culture and history lovers
- Length of tour: 12 days
How long do I need in Japan?
Based on our own experience as well as the tours mentioned in this guide, here's a general idea of how long you'll need to tick off those cities:
|Number of days||Tokyo||Mount Fuji||Kyoto||Osaka||Nara||Hiroshima||Takayama||Nagoya||Kanazawa||Tsumago|
In seven days you can still travel the classic route of Tokyo to Kyoto and Osaka though it’s recommended either staying in Tokyo the whole time or cutting certain items short. Tours allow you to blitz through the cities and capture the best of the best, so it can be done though it may feel rushed.
7 Days, Tokyo to Osaka from Topdeck
- Tour company: Topdeck
- Best for: Youths 18–35
- Places visited: Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Hakone, Kyoto, Osaka
To cover the classic route that takes you from Tokyo to Osaka and Kyoto, it is highly recommended to put aside 10 days to see it all. Tokyo alone needs 5 to 7 days to immerse yourself in the numerous districts including the luxury shopping hub of Ginza, colourful Shibuya and its Harajuku characters, neon lights of Shinjuku, traditional temples of Asakusa and bustling island of Odaiba, as well as a day trip to Mount Fuji. Then, three days should cover you to see Osaka Castle, Osaka Aquarium, wander the traditional streets of Kyoto and pay homage to its Golden Temple.
With two weeks up your sleeve you can cover a lot of ground across Japan's main island, including Tokyo, Hiroshima and Takayama, a village where you'll see wooden homes built in the Edo period and more.
Discover Japan and Hike Mount Fuji – includes a two day hike to the summit of Mount Fuji from G Adventures
- Tour company: G Adventures
- Best for: Active adventures
- Places visited: Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Hiroshima, Takayama, Kanazawa
Latest deals for Japan tours, flights and more
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|13 Jan 2021||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|13 Jan 2021||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|2 Dec 2020||Up to 10% off international flights with code||MAS****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
More guides on Finder
Best earplugs in Australia
These are the 6 best earplugs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best mechanical pencils in Australia
These are the six best mechanical pencils you can buy right now in Australia
Boxing Day Sales 2021 | Deals to be revealed
Find all the best sales, deals and offers in one place for fashion, electronics, travel, beauty, homewares and toys.
Best rice cookers in Australia
We've found the best rice cookers so you can enjoy perfectly cooked rice every time.
Where to buy sporting and recreational products with Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Get a head start on your next adventure thanks to the online retailers offering Zip Pay.
Where to buy kids toys and clothing with Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Discover the retailers offering kids essentials through the buy now, pay later service.
Women’s clothing stores that offer Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Overhaul your closet sooner thanks to these retailers that offer buy now pay later service Zip Pay.
Men’s clothing stores that offer Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Freshen up your wardrobe for less with the online stores offering payment service Zip Pay.
Sites to buy home and office furniture with Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Update your furniture and appliances sooner thanks to the stores letting you pay off your purchase in easy instalments.
Food and alcohol stores that offer Zip Pay: Full list 2021
If you're looking to make your next grocery shop more affordable, these stores can help you to break up to the cost.
Ask an Expert