Up to 20% off car hire
Sites to book rental cars online
Drive the price of your rental down by comparing the car rental companies from around the world.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Renting cars for holidays can be a confusing business. There are so many providers to choose from, all with different terms and conditions, vehicles and models and, most crucially, prices.
We’ve rounded up the best car hire sites on the Internet to help take the stress out of your search.
Where to book rental cars online
Despite the name Europcar is not confined to Europe. Since it was founded in 1949 it has spread to over 140 countries worldwide, and rents a wide variety of cars, vans and trucks.
- Redeem Virgin Velocity Frequent Flyer points against your booking
- Accounts available for business customers
- Privilege Loyalty Program offers exclusive rewards and discounts
An independent, Australian owned car hire company, East Coast Car Rentals, continues to guarantee locals the lowest possible car rates across major cities in Australia since 1979.
- Available pick up in 12 airport locations in Australia
- Free pick-up
- Instant booking
If you're looking for alternate vehicle options than a compact or economy car, Low Cost Self Drive offers a range of SUVs, ute, people movers for up to 12 passengers and mini-buses for up to 25 people.
- Choose from 17 types of vehicles
- Prices include 150km per day for larger vehicles
- Pick up from more than 200 locations across Australia
Global car hire giant Avis has been around since 1946. Since then it has expanded and currently has over 5,000 rental locations worldwide.
- Mobile app available for iOS
- Offers and specials available in the site's deals section
- Avis Preferred Membership offers priority service and pricing
Hertz was founded in 1918 with just 12 Model-T Fords in its fleet. Today it has operations in over 146 countries and is the largest worldwide airport use car rental brand in the world.
- 24-hour roadside assistance with every booking
- Hertz Mobile Wi-Fi connects you to Wi-Fi wherever you go
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards users receive exclusive rewards
Part of the Avis rental group, Budget specialises in cars and trucks for those on, well, a budget. It stocks a wide range of cars, vans and trucks in over 2,500 locations worldwide.
- RMS E-Toll in all bookings automatically charges any tolls incurred to your credit card
- Join the Budget Fastbreak program for exclusive rewards
- Earn FlyBuys or Qantas Frequent Flyer points on all bookings
Since it was founded in 1996, Expedia has become one of the world’s leading online travel agents and is a trusted site for finding online deals. It is known for flight and hotel bookings, but also offers rental car deals.
- Price match guarantee ensures it won’t be beaten on price
- Exclusive last minute deals
- Expedia+ provides members-only discounts and deals
Australian travel-planning site Wotif burst onto the scene in 2000, offering bookings for flights, hotels, packages and car hire.
- Customer reviews let you see what others thought of hotels, airlines and rental agencies
- No hotel booking fees
- Sign up to the newsletter for exclusive deals and savings
Hotwire specialises in unsold travel deals. This means that anytime a plane seat goes unsold, a hotel room goes unbooked or a hire care is not reserved, Hotwire swoops in and negotiates a cheaper rate for consumers.
- Exclusive rates and deals
- Get $10 off when you sign up for the newsletter
- Mobile app for on-the-go browsing and booking
Which of these retailers allow me to compare different car companies?
- Wotif compares car hire companies including Avis, Europcar, Budget, Sixt and Hertz
- Drive Now compares both car hire and campervan rental from popular companies including Hertz, Budget, Avis, Europcar, Britz, Jucy and Maui.
- Expedia compares car hire companies including Avis, Europcar, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty and Enterprise
- Hotwire compares Alamo, Budget, Dollar Rent A Car, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National and Thrifty
Which car hire company should I choose?
There's no single right answer to this question. Sometimes it might be cheaper to book direct with the car hire company, but aggregators like Wotif and Expedia may feature special deals that you can only access through them.
If you’re looking for the cheapest car hire available for your trip, spend the time to see what each company and aggregator is offering in terms of cars, price and insurance costs, to make an informed decision. Don’t forget to check out our coupon codes and deals [link to the coupons below] to see what steals you can drive away with.
Which of these retailers allow me to add on hire car insurance?
Which car hire providers let me hire a caravan?
What's the difference between booking direct and booking with an online aggregator?
On one hand, aggregators allow you to easily compare options from different companies with one simple search, but on the other, booking direct can let you access exclusive deals and discounts that are only available when booking direct. We recommend a combination: Use an aggregator to see more options and check in on our car hire deals page to see what offers are available to get the best price for you.
Want to book car hire online? Use one of our coupons:
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|28 Jul 2021||Up to 10% off car rentals in Australia||HIR****|
|26 Jul 2021||Up to 15% off Alice Springs to Darwin campervan rentals||ASP****|
|26 Jul 2021||Up to 15% off Apollo one-way rentals||APA****|
|26 Jul 2021||Up to 10% off Australia campervan hires||AUS****|
|21 Jul 2021||Get 1 day free on 5-day rentals||205****|
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 75% off deluxe massage chairs, 45% off mini wildlife cameras, 64% off BBQ Grill Charcoal Smokers.
MG HS plug-in hybrid review: A compelling medium SUV
The MG HS brings to the medium SUV space hybrid performance at a petrol price, and it does so with the full suite of modern features. It lacks a voice that’s truly its own, but does enough to demand a test drive.
A guide to using the Loopring Decentralised Exchange
Learn how to save on Ethereum gas fees by using the Loopring decentralised exchange, and earn money as a liquidity provider.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
The 10 best Adventure games of all time
From Day of the Tentacle to Life is Strange, these are the 10 best Adventure games in the history of gaming with links to buy.
East Coast Car Rentals promo codes for August 2021
When looking for a deal on car hire across Australia and New Zealand, look no further than East Coast Car Rentals.
Monarto Safari Park review
If you're looking for a good Adelaide day trip, the Monarto Safari Park is the biggest of its kind outside of Africa. But is it any good?
DeFi and Web 3.0 wallets
Find out how a Web 3.0 wallet can allow you to access the world of DeFi, plus discover which wallets we recommend.
Review: Living Room of Satoshi
Learn how to use crypto for everyday transactions like payments and income.
Best tyres in Australia
Hit the road safely with the best tyres you can buy in Australia right now.
Ask an Expert