10 sites that offer book now pay later flights and tours
Secure that bargain holiday by laybying your flight or tour with these websites.
The fact that payday hasn’t arrived yet shouldn’t mean that you have to miss out on snapping up a hot holiday deal. If you’ve got the time and can come up with the dosh by a deadline, these websites will let you book for free, or with a small deposit, to let you secure that holiday.
1. STA Travel
The student life is hard, but STA Travel makes it easier by letting youths and teachers layby flights.
Even if you don’t fit the bill STA is targeting, you can still buy flights for a good price. If you’re not ready to pay for your adventure upfront, STA’s layby program gives you the chance to delay most of the payment until eight weeks before you fly off.
- Airlines you can book with: Qantas, Scoot, Etihad, Thai Airways, Royal Brunei and Emirates.
- Deposit: $99. This is a non-refundable deposit which includes a $10 service fee.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Layby is only available on STA Exclusive tickets, includes select multi-stop and round-the-world routes and select flights may require you to be under 30, a teacher or a student. Full payment must be made eight weeks prior to de
Go to STA Travel website
View coupon code for STA Travel
Featuring tours for 18-35 year old travellers, Contiki offers flights specified on individual trip itineraries, which you can secure with a deposit.
If you have your eye on a Contiki tour then you don’t have to shell out the full amount straightaway to look forward to it. Be an early-bird and you can lock in your place on a tour for a fraction of the price.
- Airlines you can book with: Contiki specialises in tours and while internal flights are included, flights to and from your start/end destinations are not. If you would like to book flights for these legs, contact Contiki for your options.
- Deposit: Varies per tour
- Book-now pay-later policy: A deposit is often required within seven days of booking. Full payment is often required 45 days prior to departure. Book-now pay-later options are often available on early-bird tours and on select bookings.
Go to Contiki website
View coupon code for Contiki
3. Flight Centre
It’s all about interest-free holidays when you book your dream trip with one of Australia’s leading travel agencies: Flight Centre.
It’s no secret that holidays can put a dent in your wallet and if you have to borrow money with interest attached to pay for it when the price is right, that’s extra cash you could be spending on a mojito on the beach. Flight Centre has the answer.
- Airlines you can book with: Tigerair, Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Emirates, Air New Zealand, Etihad, Qatar and more.
- Deposit: Varies.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Interest-free holidays are for purchases of $999 or more. Applicants must be credit approved and must pay the loan in full by the end of the agreed upon term. Weekly, fortnightly and monthly payment agreements are available.
Go to Flight Centre website
View coupon code for Flight Centre
4. Virgin Australia
Need a few days to submit your annual leave before committing to that holiday? Virgin Australia has the answer.
It’s called the Hold This Price option and lets you secure the price of your flights for up to 72 hours so you can figure out your finances/annual leave/group situation before committing to purchasing your ticket.
- Airlines you can book with: Virgin Australia.
- Fee: Varies per flight.
- Hold this fee policy: The Hold This Price option is available for select flights only and lets you hold the price of a flight for 48 hours for an Elevate fare or 72 hours for a Freedom or Business fare. Fee must be paid in full via credit card.
Go to Virgin Australia website
View coupon code for Virgin Australia
5. G Adventures
Gear up for an active, marine, expedition or budget adventure with one of the best in the tour business.
G Adventures specialises in small group tours so if you wait too long you could miss a spot on one! Thankfully the company lets you book tours for a $250 deposit, so you can avoid the disappointment of missing out.
- Airlines you can book with: G Adventures specialises in tours and while internal flights are included, flights to and from your start/end destinations are not.
- Deposit: $250 per booking, per person.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Deposit must be paid when booking to secure your spot and price. Full payment is required 60 days prior to your trip or 90 days prior for expeditions. Deposits are non-refundable.
Go to G Adventures website
View coupon code for G Adventures
6. Intrepid Travel
Book your tour early with Intrepid Travel and you could reap the benefits of early-bird discounts and next to nix deposits.
Heard of the $1 deposit scheme? Yup, it was Intrepid that offered it. While that was a limited-time only special, you can almost always find a deal with Intrepid from early-bird specials to last-minute bookings.
- Airlines you can book with: Intrepid Travel specialises in tours and while internal flights are included, flights to and from your start/end destinations are not.
- Deposit: $250 per booking, per person.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Full payment is due 56 days prior to departure. If your booking is made 56 days prior to departure, the full amount must be paid. Deposits are non-refundable.
Go to Intrepid Travel website
View coupon code for Intrepid Travel
7. Geckos Adventures
Geckos offers destination experiences for 18-29 year olds who like to walk on the wild side of life.
Travelling abroad when young is one of the most rewarding experiences of your lifetime, though being a young traveller means you could be a cash-poor one. That’s why Geckos has a payment plan to help you out. Simply put down a deposit to secure a trip.
- Airlines you can book with: Geckos Adventures specialises in tours and while internal flights are included, flights to and from your start/end destinations are not.
- Deposit: $250 per booking, per person.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Full payment is due 56 days prior to departure. If your booking is made under 56 days prior to departure, the full amount must be paid. Deposits are non-refundable.
Go to Geckos Adventures website
View coupon code for Geckos Adventures
8. Hawaiian Airlines
Considering a an Hawaiian island getaway, road trip around The States or Asia/South Pacific getaway but need some extra time to think it over? Hawaiian Airlines has your back.
While it doesn't have a layby option so to speak, the airline does offer a generous fare-hold period. Seven days to be exact. That's enough time to convince the crew to go on a well-deserved, don't you think?
- Airlines you can book with: Hawaiian Airlines
- Fees: $6-11 depending on your route.
- Fare-hold policy: Fare-hold is only available for flights book directly with Hawaiian Airlines. Fee is non-refundable and does not go towards your ticket fare. Flight must be purchased by the expiry date provided during the reservation process or the rese
Go to Hawaiian Airlines website
View coupon code for Hawaiian Airlines
This airline understands that planning a holiday can take time, so it gives you more than enough to pay for your flight with the carrier.
When it comes to book-now pay-later options, Qantas has some of the best. This option is available on select flights from Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. These flights include domestic Flex, Business and Jetstar Max flights and select inter
- Airlines you can book with: Qantas.
- trips. Deposit: Varies per flight.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Available on select flights. Not available on Saver fares, Red e Deal fares, round-the-world tickets, flights purchased with points and Jetstar and Qantas combined trips. When insurance or carbon offset are chosen you must add these extras after full payment has been made. A holding deposit applies for book-now pay-later bookings.
When there are so many bargain flights to be had it can be hard to resist snapping them up. That’s why Jetstar has its Price Lock guarantee – to let you save your seat before paying in full to fly.
Any budget flyer will know that Jetstar constantly tempts us to impulsively purchase a cheap-as-chips flight, but if you’re unsure whether it’ll work out or not, the carrier’s Price Lock guarantee can bring you peace of mind. For a nominal fee
- Airlines you can book with: Jetstar.
- Fee: Varies per flight.
- Price Lock policy: Available on select bookings only. Not available on flights less than 30 days away. After you choose Price Lock you have 96 hours to complete your booking. The Price Lock fee is non-refundable and must be paid immediately to guarantee the flight price.
Which airlines let me book now and pay later?
Qantas Australia allows you to book now and pay later via its interest-free finance option. Airlines such as Jetstar and Virgin Australia let you hold the price of your flight for a certain period for a small fee.
Which tour companies let me book now and pay later?
Most tour companies will allow you to book now and pay later or in instalments with final payment being around 60 days prior to departure. It’s common for deposits to be around $250. Tour companies that offer these or similar payment options include Intrepid Travel, G Adventures, Geckos and Contiki.
What hotel sites let me book now, pay later?
Many hotel sites allow you to book your hotel stay and pay later or pay when you arrive at the hotel. These include hotels.finder.com.au, lastminute.com.au, wotif.com, hotels.com and booking.com. Choosing this option may incur a greater charge than choosing to pay when booking. Book-now pay-later hotel options may also include a free cancellation period within a certain number of days prior to your stay.
Best flight deals
$100 off your flights to the Philippines
Simply use the code to get $100 off your flights to the Philippines.
Flights to Hawaii from $498 return on Jetstar
Available for travel in January to March 2017 and April to June 17. Valid on departures from Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast.
Return flights to Europe from $1066
Valid on flights from 1 February until 31 October. Sample fares include Perth to Amsterdam for $1066 return, Melbourne to Amsterdam from $1168 return, Adelaide to Amsterdam for $1170 return and Sydney to Amsterdam for $1187 return.
Fly to Bali from $236 return
Valid on select dates until March. Sample fares include Perth to Bali for $236, Adelaide to Bali for $292, Melbourne to Bali from $364, Brisbane to Bali for $520 and Sydney to Bali from $428.
Return flights to Los Angeles from $839
Depart Perth for $821, Melbourne for $825, Brisbane for $834, Sydney for $838 or Adelaide for $906. Valid on flights with China Southern on select dates in February and March. See calendar for details.
Asia from $377 return
Valid on flights from February until April. Destinations include Beijing, Shanghai, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Penang, Kota Kinabalu.
Jetstar Christmas Sale: Fly from $29
Valid on flights January to March and May to June. Sample fares include Melbourne-Hobart for $29, Adelaide-Melbourne for $29 and Sydney-Melbourne for $29.
Flights from Sydney to Amsterdam $1369 return
Book return fights from Sydney to Amsterdam $1369 at Emirates. Available for travel between 01 Feb 17 – 28 Mar 17.
Fly to Bangkok from $316 return on AirAsia
Available for travel in February to March 2017. Valid for departures in Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast.
10% off flights within Australia
Simply use the code to get 10% off domestic airfares at Virgin Australia. Valid on bookings until 31 September. Tickets must be purchased 20 days in advance.
Return flights to Amsterdam from $1025
Valid 5 April until 22 June. Depart Perth from $1025 return, Melbourne from $1029 return, Adelaide from $1029 return, Sydney from $1043 return, Darwin from $1085 return, Brisbane from $1138 return. Dates may vary slightly by departure city.
Fly to Bali, Shanghai, Beijing, Thailand and more from $377 return: Asia on Sale
Book economy flights to Bali, Shanghai, Beijing, Thailand and more destinations throughout Asia from just $377 return.
Flights from $85: All I Want For Christmas Sale
Valid on flights select dates from January until June. See a full list of fares here. Sample fares include Gold Coast-Sydney for $85, Melbourne-Adelaide for $89 and Brisbane-Mackay for $89.
Fly to Bali, Indonesia from $162 on Jetstar
Book flights to Bali, Indonesia from $162 on Jetstar at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in January 2017.
Fly to San Francisco, United States from $822: Air New Zealand
Book flights to San Francisco, United States from $822 at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in February to August 2017.
Flights to Edinburgh from $1611 return
Available for travel from Sydney in February 2017.
Flights to Tokyo from $460 return on AirAsia
Depart Gold Coast from $460, Melbourne from $479, Perth from $515, Sydney from $584 for travel in January and February. T&Cs apply.
Fly to Europe from $996 return
Travel dates vary by destination, with flights available until June 2017. Sample fares include Melbourne to London for $996, Sydney to Frankfurt for $1018, Perth to Amsterdam for $1025 and Brisbane to Amsterdam for $1138.
Flights to Osaka from $459 return on AirAsia
Book flights to Osaka from $459 return on AirAsia at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in January to February 2017. T&Cs apply.
Flights to London from $1502 return
Valid for travel from Sydney in February 2017.
AirAsia 15th Anniversary Sale: Fly from $203 return
Fly to Rome from $1309 economy return: Emirates Europe Sale
Book flights to Rome from $1309 economy return during the Emirates Europe Sale. Travel and offer end dates vary. Availability is limited. Conditions apply.
Fly to Athens from $953 return on Etihad Airways
Book flights to Athens from $953 return on Etihad Airways at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in February to April 2017. Conditions apply.
Flights to Madrid from $857 return on Etihad Airways
Book flights to Madrid from $857 return on Etihad Airways at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in February to April 2017. Conditions apply.
Flights to Rome from $886 return on Etihad Airways
Book flights to Rome from $886 return on Etihad Airways at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in February to April 2017. Conditions apply.
Flights to Paris from $894 return on Etihad Airways
Book flights to Paris from $894 return on Etihad Airways at I Want That Flight. Available for travel in February to April 2017. Conditions apply.
$10 off your flight to Philadelphia
Get $10 off your flight to Philadelphia at CheapAir. Conditions Apply
Paris from $1069 return
Depart Perth from $1069 return, Melbourne from $1073 return, Adelaide from $1074, Sydney from $1085 return, Brisbane from $1182 return.
Flights to Maldives from $719 return: Etihad Airways
Book return flights to Maldives from $719 with Etihad Airways at I Want That Flight. Available for travel between Feb - Mar 2017.
Fly return to London from $284 with select tours
Book 2017 summer tours in Europe for $2000 or more and get $300 off flights, $3000 or more and get $500 off flights, $4000 or more and get $700 off flights. Flights of $284 based on lowest available airfare. See site for details.
10% off freedom and business class fares
Valid on flights departing before August 2017. Valid on freedom or business class flights within Australia and to the South Pacific, Asia and Middle East.
Up to 35% off Europe flights
Valid on flights departing between 1 February and 31 March 2017. Sample fares include Perth-Belgrade for $1315, Melbourne-Istanbul for $1357, Sydney-Dublin for $1370.