10 sites that offer layby flights to book now and pay later
Secure that bargain holiday by laybying your flight with these websites.
The fact that payday hasn’t arrived yet shouldn’t mean that you have to miss out on snapping up a hot flight deal.
If you’ve got the time and can come up with the dosh by a deadline, these websites will let you book for free, or with a small deposit, to let you secure that layby flight.
1. Flight Centre
It’s all about interest-free holidays when you book your dream trip with one of Australia’s leading travel agencies: Flight Centre.
It’s no secret that holidays can put a dent in your wallet and if you have to borrow money with interest attached to pay for it when the price is right, that’s extra cash you could be spending on a mojito on the beach. Flight Centre has the answer.
- Airlines you can book with: Tigerair, Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Emirates, Air New Zealand, Etihad, Qatar and more.
- Deposit: Varies.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Interest-free holidays are for purchases of $999 or more. Applicants must be credit approved and must pay the loan in full by the end of the agreed upon term. Weekly, fortnightly and monthly payment agreements are available.
Go to Flight Centre website
View coupon codes for Flight Centre
2. Virgin Australia
Need a few days to submit your annual leave before committing to that holiday? Virgin Australia has the answer.
It’s called the Hold This Price option and lets you secure the price of your flights for up to two days so you can figure out your finances/annual leave/group situation before committing to purchasing your ticket.
- Airlines you can book with: Virgin Australia.
- Fee: $15
- Hold this fee policy: The Hold This Price option is available for select flights only and lets you hold the price of a flight for 48 hours for an Elevate fare or 72 hours for a Freedom or Business fare. Fee must be paid in full via credit card.
Go to Virgin Australia website
View coupon codes for Virgin Australia
3. STA Travel
The student life is hard, but STA Travel makes it easier by letting youths and teachers layby flights.
Even if you don’t fit the bill STA is targeting, you can still buy flights for a good price. If you’re not ready to pay for your adventure upfront, STA’s layby program gives you the chance to delay most of the payment until eight weeks before you fly off.
- Airlines you can book with: Qantas, Scoot, Etihad, Thai Airways, Royal Brunei and Emirates.
- Deposit: $99. This is a non-refundable deposit which includes a $10 service fee.
- Book-now pay-later policy: Layby is only available on STA Exclusive tickets, includes select multi-stop and round-the-world routes and select flights may require you to be under 30, a teacher or a student. Full payment must be made eight weeks prior to de
Go to STA Travel website
View coupon codes for STA Travel
4. Hawaiian Airlines
Considering a an Hawaiian island getaway, road trip around The States or Asia/South Pacific getaway but need some extra time to think it over? Hawaiian Airlines has your back.
While it doesn't have a layby option so to speak, the airline does offer a generous fare-hold period. Seven days to be exact. That's enough time to convince the crew to go on a well-deserved, don't you think?
- Airlines you can book with: Hawaiian Airlines
- Fees: $6-11 depending on your route.
- Fare-hold policy: Fare-hold is only available for flights book directly with Hawaiian Airlines. Fee is non-refundable and does not go towards your ticket fare. Flight must be purchased by the expiry date provided during the reservation process or the rese
Go to Hawaiian Airlines website
View coupon codes for Hawaiian Airlines
5. Qatar Airways
Take up to 72 to pay for your flight with Qatar Airways.
Whether you're waiting for a transfer of funds or need a few days to decide, take advantage of Qatar's Hold My Booking feature.
- Airlines you can book with: Qatar
- Fees: Varies
- Book-now pay-later policy: Must be booked at least four days prior to departure with 72 from teh time of booking to pay.
Go to Qatar Airways website
View coupon codes for Qatar Airways
When there are so many bargain flights to be had it can be hard to resist snapping them up. That’s why Jetstar has paired with Afterpay – to let you save your seat before paying in full to fly.
Any budget flyer will know that Jetstar constantly tempts us to impulsively purchase a cheap-as-chips flight, but if you’re unsure whether it’ll work out or not, the carrier’s Price Lock guarantee can bring you peace of mind. For a nominal fee
- Airlines you can book with: Jetstar.
- Fee: $11
- Afterpay policy: Available on domestic flight bookings between $200-$1,000 made at least eight weeks before departure.
Go to Jetstar website
View coupon code for Jetstar
Catering to students and the under-26 crowd, Student Flights can lay-by your flights because it knows that money can be a bit tight, but travel is always a must.
Although offering a lay-by option, Student Flights does limit the airlines to just a few and doesn't offer the service on domestic flights. You'll also need to be a full-time student or younger than 26 to take advantage.
- Airlines you can book with: Etihad, Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand, Malaysian Airlines and Qatar.
- Deposit: $100
- Book-now pay-later policy: Available on Black Market flights only that are booked at least 60 days in advance.
Go to Student Flights website
This airline understands that planning a holiday can take time, so it gives you more than enough to pay for your flight with the carrier.
When it comes to book-now pay-later options, Qantas has some of the best. This option is available on select flights from Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. These flights include domestic Flex, Business and Jetstar Max flights and select inter
- Airlines you can book with: Qantas.
- Deposit: $25
- Book-now pay-later policy: Available on select flights. Not available on Saver fares, Red e Deal fares, round-the-world tickets, flights purchased with points and Jetstar and Qantas combined trips. When insurance or carbon offset are chosen you must add these extras after full payment has been made. A holding deposit applies for book-now pay-later bookings.
Go to Qantas website
View coupon code for Qantas
Secure those cheap-as-chips flights with a "fare freeze" that is literally the cost of a packet of chips.
Tempting Tigerair fares can often be met with impulse purchases that are left unfulfilled. Tigerair's fare freeze lets you lock-in a flight price for up to 48-hours to give you the time to confirm your travels with friends.
- Airlines you can book with: Tigerair
- Fee: $3 per person, per sector
- Fare freeze policy: Available on select bookings only. Not available on flights less than 27 days away. Excludes special sale fares. After you choose fare freeze you have 48-hours to complete your booking. The fare freeze fee is non-refundable and must be paid immediately to guarantee the flight price.
Go to Tigerair website
View coupon code for Tigerair
Take off for your bucket-list safari and take a few days to come up with the funds.
Sometimes you want to lock in the price before you can secure the funds. Luckily, South African Airways lets you lock in a fare and take up to three days to pay for it. It may not sound like much, but can be just enough time if you're waiting for a transfer from another account.
- Airlines you can book with: South African Airways
- Fee: None
- Fare freeze policy: Available on select bookings only. Confirm your booking online and select "Pay later" on the payment page and take up to three days to go into your flight reservation in the "Manage My Booking" section to pay it off.
Go to South African Airways website
What are the book now pay later terms with these sites?
||Required deposit or fee
||$99 annual fee
||Available for holiday purchases of $999 or more. Credit approval required.
||$15 fee to hold for two days
||Available on domestic flights booked at least 14 days in advance.
||$99 deposit plus $10 service fee
||Only available on STA Exclusive tickets
||$6-$11 fee depending on route
||Fee holds the fare for 3-7 days before payment is required.
||$10 fee for Afterpay
||Limited to domestic flight bookings between $200-$1,000.
||Available on Black Market flights only booked at least 60 days in advance.
||Available on select flights. Payment due date varies and is noted when making the booking.
||$3 fee per person, per sector
||Fee holds fare for 48 hours. Available on flights made at least 27 days in advance.
Latest deals from these companies: