Household Bleach and Disinfectant Finder
We’ll show you how to choose the best bleach and disinfectant to kill germs around your home.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Best Rated Bleach & Disinfectant Brand: Sard
The easiest bleach of the bunch to use, Sard was the best rated overall by Australians.
Key facts about household bleach and disinfectant
- Bleach and other disinfectants are an important part of every home’s cleaning cupboard.
- If you're shopping for household bleach or disinfectant, the most important factors to consider are the type of product (liquid, spray or wipe) and where it is designed to be used.
What is disinfectant?
Disinfectants are chemicals that kill germs. They're designed to be used on surfaces to destroy bacteria, viruses and fungi. Bleach is a powerful disinfectant.
Types of disinfectants
Disinfectants come in a few different forms. Your main options are:
- Liquids. These can typically be used either undiluted or diluted with water, depending on your cleaning and disinfecting needs.
- Sprays. These products come in ready-to-use bottles and can be sprayed directly onto the surface you want to disinfect.
- Wipes. Pre-moistened, disposable wipes can be used to kill germs on surfaces around your home.
There are also some powder formulas available that are designed for use on tiled surfaces.
How to compare household bleaches and disinfectants
To find the right disinfectant for your home, you'll need to compare products based on a few key factors. Make sure you consider the following.
Type of surface
Check the label to find out where the disinfectant is meant to be used around the home. Some are designed for use on kitchen benchtops, in bathrooms, on floors and tiles, in toilet bowls or in a load of washing. Also check whether there are any particular surfaces which a disinfectant cannot be used on.
Germs it kills
Check the label to find out what germs a particular bleach or disinfectant is effective against. If you're looking for a product you can use to combat COVID-19, check out the Therapeutic Goods Administration's list of disinfectants that have been entered into the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) for use against COVID-19.
Prices vary depending on the type of disinfectant you buy. If you buy disinfectant liquid, prices typically range from less than $0.10 per 100mL to around $2.50 per 100mL. Spray prices typically fall in the $0.50-$3 per 100mL price range, while disinfectant wipes generally cost around $0.03-$0.10 per wipe.
Ease of use
Check the instructions on how to apply the disinfectant. Will you need to dilute it first?
If you don't like the overpowering smell of some disinfectants, shop around for a product with a less intense fragrance.
Check how long the disinfectant needs to be left on a surface in order to be effective against germs.
As always, buying in bulk can help you save, while it's important to compare similar products of differing sizes on the same basis, for example, price per 100mL.
Cleaning vs disinfecting
Cleaning and disinfecting are both important to stop the spread of germs, but these two terms don't refer to the same thing.
Cleaning refers to the process of removing germs and dirt from surfaces with a detergent or soap and water, while disinfecting involves the use of chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. According to Safe Work Australia, you need to clean surfaces before disinfecting them, as the presence of dirt and grime can reduce the germ-killing effectiveness of disinfectants.
Regularly cleaning and disinfecting surfaces around your home that are frequently touched, from doorknobs and light switches to kitchen benches and the TV remote, can help prevent the spread of germs.
Some products can be used for both cleaning and disinfecting. Ensure that you follow the instructions on the label so that you use these products effectively.
3 things to consider
There are a few other factors that you should consider when shopping for household bleach or disinfectant:
- Not to be used as hand sanitiser. According to the TGA's disinfectant FAQs, disinfectants are designed for use on inanimate surfaces, not on people. Disinfectant should not be applied to your skin.
- How to use disinfectant. The most important thing to remember when using disinfectant is to always follow the instructions on the label. This includes instructions on how to dilute the product, how to apply it and how long it needs to be on a surface to be effective.
- Staying safe when using disinfectant. You should always wear disposable gloves when using disinfectant and only ever apply disinfectant in a well-ventilated area. It's also essential that you never mix disinfectant with other disinfecting or cleaning products as this can result in dangerous fumes.
Ready to start shopping? Check out our guide to the best bleaches in Australia.
Best rated bleach brand award breakdown
|Total Score||Overall rating||Value for Money||Ease of use||Effectiveness||Smell|
|Pine O Cleen||8.05||4.45||4.00||4.45||4.37||4.29|
More guides on Finder
Best grout cleaners in Australia
These are the six best grout cleaners you can bury right now in Australia.
Solvent and Drain Cleaner Finder
We’ll show you how to compare your options and choose a drain cleaner for your home plumbing needs.
Oven and Cooktop Cleaner Finder
What you need to know to compare and choose an oven and cooktop cleaner for your kitchen.
Brands that cleaned up in the 2020/2021 Finder Retail Awards
Australia’s top-rated cleaning brands have been revealed across a range of categories in Finder’s 2020/2021 Retail Awards.
Steam mop Finder: The ins and outs of buying a steam mop for you home
Steam mops are an effective way to clean your floors and other parts of your home. Find out how to compare models and choose the right one for you.
Antimicrobial fogging services
Antimicrobial fogging prevents the spread of a wide range of viruses, bacteria and fungi in your home.
Mooval is a Victoria-based home services company offering a one-stop shop for your moving, cleaning or storage needs.
Antiviral sanitisation services
Rid your home or workplace of germs, viruses and bacteria with a quick antiviral treatment.
Best carpet cleaners in Australia
We peruse reviews from real customers and compare key product features to find the best carpet cleaners you can buy right now in Australia.
Industrial chic is bang on trend right now. Achieve the look in your home with polished concrete floors.
Ask an Expert