Black Friday Australia 2020: Everything you need to know about the sales event
When is Black Friday? What kind of deals can we expect to see? All your questions answered.
Start your engines bargain hunters, because Black Friday is now just one week away. The sales event is set to bring some of the best offers from retailers that we've seen all year, making it worth marking your calendars now.
If you're not entirely across the mega shopping event though, here's everything you need to know about Black Friday and Cyber Monday, including the types of deals that you can expect to see.
What is Black Friday?
Black Friday is a 24-hour shopping event that is held each year on the last Friday of November. Despite originating in the US, Black Friday has now been embraced by plenty of other countries around the world, including Australia.
The mega sales event sees prices slashed on everything from makeup to tech, making it prime time to start Christmas gift shopping or to snap up that expensive item that you've been eyeing off for ages.
When is Black Friday?
Black Friday will officially kick off in Australia this year on 27 November. However, many retailers like to get in early and offer discounts up to a week or two in advance.
To see the sales that have already started, you can see our breakdown of the best early Black Friday deals.
What kind of deals can I expect to see?
Tons of retailers get involved in the Black Friday sales, which means you'll see prices slashed on just about everything.
While some stores will use the sales period as an opportunity to offload old stock to make way for the new season, many will also reduce prices on top selling items.
Just a few of the deals that we know are on their way include:
- Amazon: Amazon's Black Friday deals will start at 12.00am AEDST on 27 November and will run through to 11.59pm AEDST on 29 November. Highlights will include 40% off Panasonic Lumix cameras, half-price Kindle Paperwhites and 42% off Bose SoundSport Free true wireless headphones. You can see our breakdown of the best Amazon Black Friday deals for more offers.
- eBay: eBay has announced that it will be slashing the price of both the Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones and the Apple AirPods Pro for Plus members come Black Friday. It will also be offering 20% off millions of items from 10am AEDT Friday 20 November, so be sure to check it out.
- Microsoft Store: If you're in the market for games or a new laptop, Microsoft Store will have you sorted this Black Friday. The retailer is planning to discount top products, including the Surface Laptop 3 and Surface Pro X, from Saturday 21 November. See our break down of the best upcoming Microsoft deals for more information.
- Charlotte Tilbury: From 8pm AEST Monday 23 November, makeup brand Charlotte Tilbury will kick off a range of daily deals, starting with up to 30% off selected beauty icon kits and limited-edition bundles. See the full list of discounts it plans to offer here.
- GHD: From Saturday 21 November, iconic hair styling brand GHD will be taking up to $50 off best-selling devices, including the Glide Hot Brush and the Helios Hair Dryer range.
You can also check out a range of other deals we're expecting to see, based on last year's Black Friday offers:
- Black Friday 2020 tech deal predictions
- Black Friday 2020 home and appliance deal predictions
- Black Friday 2020 beauty deal predictions
- Black Friday 2020 fashion deal predictions
- Black Friday 2020 activewear deal predictions
- Black Friday 2020 sneaker deal predictions
What is Cyber Monday?
Black Friday is closely followed by Cyber Monday, which falls on 30 November and sees even more bargains offered by online stores.
Originally, Black Friday was an event for brick and mortar retailers, while Cyber Monday was made for online stores. With many retailers now operating through both platforms though, the two events have somewhat merged together.
While some stores will opt to have separate Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals (or will choose to just do one or the other), many stores now offer their discounts over a four day period, starting on Black Friday and ending on Cyber Monday.
To keep an eye on the available deals, bookmark our Cyber Monday sales page now.
Want more bargains? Check out our up-to-the-minute collection of Black Friday offers and today's top 5 deals.