Bitcoin and cryptocurrency round-up: 8 February 2018
What's an expert opinion really worth? Hear what the experts say.
Plus, confirmed China FUD, bitcoin's place in the developing market, a gaming "ethposé" and why speculators might be looking at Civic CVC right now.
1. He said, she said.
You come to a fork in the road, where one path will lead to unimaginable riches and the other to destitution. A two-headed guardian blocks your way, and you instinctively know that one head will always tell the truth, while the other only speaks lies.
2. CHINA IS BANNING CRYPTOCURRENCY! Maybe. Well possibly not. Probably not.
If you work at a bank, your work email address may have the power to wipe billions of dollars from the markets.
An unfortunate People's Bank of China worker discovered this when someone else used their email to contact US news outlets and announce an impending cryptocurrency ban.
3. All roads lead to bitcoin.
For now at least.
As the crypto markets see punters spending on a wider range of coins in more ways, bitcoin's position as digital gold might start to feel awkward.
4. Get people to give each other money, and then take a cut.
Is it technically gambling when you're 100% certain what the statistically expected return is? Is that more or less of a gamble than spending money on a game with the uncertain intention of a net gain?
These questions and more remain largely unanswered in a brief ethposé of the top Ethereum games, and how they might hint at the new gaming business model.
5. Civic duty or Civic doody?
Speculators seem to think the former right now, with coin prices near doubling in two days.
Without making any judgments of the coin's prospective financial value whatsoever we take a look at the timely increase.
- EOS price weekly analysis 25 May: There are signs of life in the markets
- Cryptocurrency has entered the golden age of 51% attacks. Expect more
- Ashton Kutcher donated $4M of XRP to Ellen’s wildlife fund
- US regulators going after crypto-market manipulators
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency round-up 24 May 2018
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VEN and XLM