Bitcoin and cryptocurrency round-up: 5 February 2018
The cryptocurrency bloodbath continues in a dull and uninspired fashion, while bitcoin prices fall so fast the coin
literally proverbially goes back in time until the energy bill shocks it back into the present.
Plus we take a look at the countries where BTC is still going wild (the results will shock you, unless you're in Japan, the USA, Korea, Europe or Russia) and haul out the weekly price analyses.
1. Bloodbath XIV - The Everlasting One
It should probably have been put to bed by now, but the series continues finding new villains to milk. The villain of the latest episode is FUD from India who goes around painting red numbers everywhere.
Will the heroes defeat the villain by putting green numbers around the place? The answer is a very confident shrug.
2. Bitcoin goes retro
The original currency of the future steps back in time. At least its prices do. Bitcoin has fallen under $8,000 for the first time since November 2017, right before its meteoric December rise.
Can Dorothy go back to Kansas? Probably not, but some speculators are still betting the farm on a trip to Oz. Find out what this mangled metaphor means here.
3. Bitcoin checks the energy bill
What's the damage? About US$197 million so far this year, forecast to hit $2 billion for the entire year.
Is bitcoin's energy consumption sustainable? Of course not. Unless there are big changes of some kind.
4. Find out where bitcoin is most popular with one simple trick. The results will shock you.
One simple trick, right? First you click here then you read the words and look at the colourful graph. Pretty good eh?
Disclaimer: Shock is not guaranteed and is largely derived from the JPY:BTC pairs accounting for 50.95% of total volume, and just 5 fiat currencies accounting for 96.1% of total volume.
5. Weekly price analyses: Schadenfreude edition
- Ripple was "sent to the butchers"
- Litecoin is "worse for wear"
- Ethereum is "smashed"
- Bitcoin takes an "absolute hammering"
- Ethereum drops 13% but experts are convinced good news around the corner
- Bitcoin price on a knife-edge, as the Death Cross looms
- Bitcoin price drops 10% over the past week: Is another drop coming?
- Ethereum price dips 5% overnight: Here’s what the experts are saying
- Will Ethereum’s price rally ahead of DeFi Summer 2.0?