Bitcoin and cryptocurrency roundup: 29 January 2018
Retailers are catching the crypto bug, Ethereum excites analysts and CoinCheck prepares for payback time.
Plus, POLipay's back on the menu at CoinSpot and the weekly price analysis.
The hashtag #PayWithCrypto has been gaining steam lately, and like most hashtags probably didn't accomplish much.
But it can still feel good about itself, because more retailers are unleashing the cryptocurrency checkouts that they've planning for a while.
Via Australian company TravebyBit, travellers can now spend their crypto at Brisbane airport terminal and via themselves, Korean crypto exchange Bithumb and online retailer WeMakePrices reveal plans to accept 12 different cryptocurrencies as payment.
2. All dressed up and one place to go
It's hard to say exactly why a coin's value is going up.
It's especially hard when there are at least five possible reasons, but one of them pretty much invalidates all the rest. This is where Ethereum's at today.
3. CoinCheck checks coins, CoinCheck customers cash CoinCheck cheque.
History was made recently with the largest ever cryptocurrency heist, of over half a billion dollars worth of crypto stolen from Japan's CoinCheck exchange. Clearly the thieves have a yen for the finer things in life.
4. POLi want a coin?
CoinSpot is one of Australia's more popular exchanges, probably due to its intimidatingly comprehensive range of currencies, but AUD was noticeably absent for a while.
5. Price analysis
There eventually comes a time to reflect on the past and look at the future. That time might come more frequently for cryptocurrency speculators.
- Ethereum’s price rallied ahead of EIP-1559, but is a correction on the way?
- PayPal CEO claims Bitcoin has been highly profitable, and plans to expand crypto operations
- Ethereum may hit AU $19k if it is able to maintain its current path, expert suggests
- Bitcoin price analysis: Technical indicators suggest a new bull run is on the way
- What is Bitcoin’s Taproot upgrade and what does it mean for the network?