Bitcoin and cryptocurrency round-up: 27 February 2018
A buzz of confusion and mixed messages surround the LitePay launch, NEO holders prepare for an airdrop and Circle acquires Poloniex to become a giant overnight.
Meanwhile, Zclassic prices are sinking low with lacklustre Bitcoin Private fork support, and a look at how tightening regulations only made China's exchanges grow faster.
1. Let's call the whole thing off.
There was a lot of anticipation ahead of the LitePay Litecoin card launch, but it seems to have been abruptly and indefinitely postponed at the last minute, with LitePay calling a launch "imprudent" in the face of "recent hostile actions by card issuers towards crypto companies."
I say potato, you say double charges, surprise cash advance fees and potential sabotage, let's call the whole thing off. It might be for the best.
2. Ontology from above, true ontology from within.
An upcoming Ontology ONT airdrop is scheduled, with NEO holders getting a relatively mild 0.2 ONT for every NEO they hold.
3. Easy as pi.
Circle has become a new cryptocurrency giant overnight after acquiring the Poloniex exchange.
4. From ayyyy to Zclassic.
Rigid support for the Bitcoin Private fork initially saw Zclassic prices grow quickly, but a lack of official enthusiasm where it counts has seen prices slacken off again.
With the general consensus towards the BTCP turning to "thanks, but no thanks", Zclassic prices are deflating quickly.
5. Regulation v Darwin.
"Strike me down and I will grow more powerful than ever!"
"We're not striking you down, we just don't like all these dodgy ICOs."
"Oh. Well, I'll grow more powerful than ever anyway."
That's the short of it. For the long of it, take a look at how tighter regulations inadvertently saw China's exchanges go to the next level.
- Why Ethereum’s price is outperforming Bitcoin after Saturday’s crash
- Bitcoin price plummets overnight – experts think more drops may be on the way
- Ethereum within 2% of new all-time-high price as another global brand adopts NFTs
- Bitcoin’s stagnation is alarming and could be followed by more bearish price action
- Ethereum’s price rallies after adoption by a major Gulf State
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VEN, XLM, SALT and BTC.