Bitcoin and cryptocurrency round-up: 12 February 2018
What's going on?
A simple potential crypto-price weathervane, new crypto payment solutions and a deep dive into the real bitcoin rich list.
Plus governments hit with a cryptojacking attack, a bit of Nano/BitGrail forensics and your weekly price analyses.
1. Speculators say the wind is blowing... up?
Popular opinion can be a good indicator of crypto prices – or a bad indicator. But if one thing's certain, it's that it may or may not indicate something.
Taking a look at what everyone else is betting on might be one of the simpler weathervanes around.
2. Buy and sell crypto online – even more online than usual
Coinbase is stepping up plans to let people buy and sell crypto with widgets, while other platforms like MetaMask are eventually planning to go one further. With developments like these, crypto payment systems are moving forwards.
3. Budbo and blockchain-based cannabis
Crypto Finder sat down with co-founder and president Luke Patterson at Blockchain Week 2018. Mr Patterson chatted about how Budbo is above others in the market and how they are working to scale the business whilst staying within the law. Watch more videos here.
4. Are you on the list?
Meet the top wallets. Come to ogle at number one (Bitfinex's $1.4 billion address), and stay for the mysterious Wallet 967.
5. Malicious and frankly rude hack attacks
A new spate of cryptojacking attacks have come to light, revealing that a range of government sites, including the Australian government's, were recently victimised.
The malicious software was found in the Browsealoud web plugin that reads content for visually impaired people and audiobook enthusiasts.
6. Non-malicious and frankly rude human error
BitGrail has gone insolvent following the disappearance of $170 million worth of Nano.
Evidence suggests it was caused by a consistent and repeated failure to read the manual, possibly accompanied by rude intent.
7. Price analyses: Are you feeling lucky edition
- Litecoin's an erratic mixed bag
- Bitcoin shed a lot of value but has some strong indicators
- Ethereum's giving mixed signals
- Ripple's feeling lucky
- Ethereum may hit AU $19k if it is able to maintain its current path, expert suggests
- Bitcoin price analysis: Technical indicators suggest a new bull run is on the way
- What is Bitcoin’s Taproot upgrade and what does it mean for the network?
- Bitcoin is back above US$40,000 – here’s why
- Expert analysis: Ethereum price up 30% with further gains on the horizon
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VEN, XLM, NANO and SALT