Bitcoin and cryptocurrency round-up 20 June 2018
What's happening in cryptocurrency?
Coinbase clears the air, 51% of ETC, Bithumb hacked, Singapore's bitcoin investment and why TRON bought BitTorrrent.
1. As you can see from the price chart, prices don't matter
Coinbase's CEO shared the speech he gives to new starters, who might be hesitant about getting to crypto in a bear market.
2. ETC mining pool achieves 51%+ hashrate
The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm.
3. PSA: $30 million was lost but no biggie
Bithumb has been hacked for $30 million. It suspended trading, started investigating and markets dropped.
4. This is good for bitcoin
This is good for bitcoin.
5. Obviously TRON is into retro technology. It's all in the name
TRON is getting neon up in this blockchain and flashing back to the hottest nights of the 90s with a $120 million buyout of BitTorrent.
Initial reports said they paid $140 million, but a TRON spokesperson was eager to clarify that it was only $120 million. Because paying $140 million for a decade-old piece of open source software would be just ridiculous.
Disclosure: At the time of writing, the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VET, XLM, BTC and NANO.
- Ethereum price crumbles as dApps flee for cheaper platforms
- Bitcoin volatility at 6-month high as price direction looks uncertain
- Bitcoin price viciously dips to US$51,000 after hitting $1 trillion market cap
- Bitcoin crashes below $50,000 after more cryptic Elon Musk tweets
- Ethereum price crashes 15% overnight as cryptocurrency market drops