bIOTAsphere, IOTA’s renewable energy centre, launches in Canada
Renewable energy solutions via Kontrol Energy are growing the IOTA network in North America.
A new IOTA-affiliated branch is opening in Toronto, Canada through a partnership with Kontrol Energy Corp. It's called the bIOTAsphere, and according to InvestorIntel the new offices will serve as the IOTA Foundations primary Canadian office.
This arm of IOTA is expected to focus primarily on reducing energy costs, reducing emissions and generally providing more sustainable and cost-effective energy solutions for partners and participants through distributed ledger technology (DLT) and other advances.
"We intend to participate in the bIOTAsphere project as an official partner while engaging some of our partner companies in this co-innovation exercise," said IOTA's Dominik Schiener. It's safe to assume that many of IOTA's partners are eager to explore the possibilities of distributed ledger technology in energy, and might be able to benefit from a connection to the bIOTAsphere.
The stated goals of the bIOTAsphere include:
- Facilitating "a Net-Zero emission world through the application of IOTA in the energy and carbon markets".
- Facilitating "the commercialisation of IOTA applications and to educate stakeholders in North America and globally about the value of the DAG based Tangle to solve some of the world's large and complex problems".
- Generally minimising the environmental impact of current technological developments.
The bIOTAsphere will be a non-profit collaborative environment for individuals and institutions to offer and receive assistance. In particular, it might be deliberately designed to facilitate exceptionally rapid development of IOTA solutions, similar to Ecosystem.
Members are obligated to check in with a bIOTAsphere liaison at least once a month and commit to sharing progress reports with other bIOTAsphere members.
"We're committed to ensuring that we create a collaborative and open workspace that encourages innovation and sharing with the highest levels of integrity," reads the bIOTAsphere explainer.
The somewhat dystopian sounding Kontrol Energy Corp. aims to consolidate growing renewable energy enterprises in North America through a "disciplined mergers and acquisitions strategy" in conjunction with distributed ledger technology. IOTA's DAG Tangle DLT seems to be at the top of its list.
"Realizing the full potential of DLT requires open partnerships within the technology community to accelerate and drive innovation," said Kontrol CEO Paul Ghezzi. "The bIOTAsphere will operate as a not for profit with various membership participation levels."
In the long run, it looks like Kontrol aims to consolidate renewal energy startups around North America and eventually create an energy giant, running many of its operations on the Tangle.
IOTA's become fairly well known for racking up a series of high powered partnerships while also taking deliberate steps to emphasise decentralised community development. Environments such as the bIOTAsphere might help by letting it offer unique value propositions to prospective partners (my energy solutions, your hardware and their programming type deals), along with the potential for cross-collaboration between individuals and institutions across an exceptionally wide range of technologies and industries.
- SEC crackdown on Binance, Kraken – What it means for Aussie investors
- Sam Bankman-Fried found guilty – what it means for Australian FTX victims
- Bitcoin’s price soars over 10% on ETF rumours – here’s why
- New regulations for Aussie crypto exchanges: What it means for investors
- Sam Bankman-Fried’s FTX trial starts tomorrow – what it means for FTX customers
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ETH, IOTA, ICX, VEN, XLM, NANO, SALT