Best weed killers in Australia
Our gardening experts have determined the best weed killers on the market today based on first-hand experience and real customer reviews.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The best weed killers in Australia
- Best selective weed killer: Weedol Lawn Weedkiller Gun 1L
- Best non-selective weed killer: Roundup 5004010 Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer
- Best cheap weed killer: Compare-N-Save 016869 Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
- Best premium weed killer: Lilly Miller Brands RTU Casoron Granules
- Best weed killer for garden beds: Preen 2464110 Garden Weed Preventer
- Best weed killer for large areas: Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Weed Killer
- Best natural/organic weed killer: Natural Armor 30% Home & Garden Vinegar
- Best pet-friendly weed killer: OrganicMatters Vinegar 30% Industrial Concentrate
How did we pick this list?
Our editorial team selected the products on this list based on actual customer reviews on Amazon Australia and our own experience with weed killer. For each category, we carefully selected parameters based on our research and identified the weed-killing products with the highest review score within those parameters.
Best selective weed killer: Weedol Lawn Weedkiller Gun 1L
- Targets the usual suspects: dandelions, daisies and clover
- Effective on all broadleaf pests
- Not the best solution for a newly seeded lawn
- Some reviewers reported less than advertised dandelion effectiveness
Average Online Price: $7Buy at eBay
Why we chose it
With an average rating of 4.3/5 from over 420+ Amazon reviews as of October 2020, the Weedol Lawn Weedkiller Gun 1L is a trusted and popular choice with many green thumbs. Though a healthy patch of grass will suffocate most weeds, sometimes a lawn is too big or too weed compromised to allow for that strategy.
Enter the next best option: Weedol's unique combo of three selective herbicides that target the worst lawn offenders while not harming the precious blades of your beloved lawn. Even better, it only requires one application per season.
Best non-selective weed killer: Roundup 5004010 Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer
- Delivers visible weed-killing results in three hours
- Is rainproof in 10 minutes
- Isolated reviewers have reported issues with the sprayer pressure pump
- Some reviewers reporting low-effectiveness against poison ivy
Price (RRP): $27.95Buy at eBay
Why we chose it
For those of you who want to take a scorched earth approach to things, Roundup 5004010 Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer boasts a 4.5/5 star rating after 5.8K+ Amazon reviews.
A quick warning for you gardening newcomers out there: non-selective herbicides will harm ANY living plant species they come in contact with. So be sure what you're spraying at. All that being said, this potent glyphosate solution should be more than enough if you want to end weeds, grasses, vines and brush stumps and keep them away for four months.
Impressively, Roundup 5004010 Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer comes in a wide variety of package options. You can purchase it as a ready-to-use or concentrate solution as well as with wands or a pump-pack.
Best cheap weed killer: Compare-N-Save 016869 Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
- Can be handily bought in packs that have a bleach sprayer or multi-purpose sprayer
- After a short delay after application, you're safe to get planting again
- Some reviewers report that it's slower to take effect than other brands
- A reviewer has mentioned pet health issues after a reasonable application wait time
Price (RRP): $22.65Buy at eBay
Why we chose it
If you're after a cost-effective, non-selective means to keep your garden in order, best look to Compare-N-Save's 016869 Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer with its 4.4/5 star rating after a whopping 12K+ Amazon reviews. It's effectively designed to eliminate anything green you point and spray at, so do be mindful of current wind conditions.
All that being said, this 41% glyphosate solution should be more than enough if you want to end weeds, grasses, vines and brush stumps before they can overtake your garden. Better yet, it's rainproof in two hours (some competing brands advise four to six hours in comparison).
Compare-N-Save 016869 Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer comes in 940ml, 3.7l and 5.6l bottles.
Best premium weed killer: Lilly Miller Brands RTU Casoron Granules
- Perfect for garden bed applications/flower growing enthusiasts
- Easy to apply and designed to work overnight
- High wind areas could disturb the soil and compromise the barrier effect
- Some reviewers report needing to reapply after a few weeks
Price (RRP): $88.63Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
More expensive than your average weed solution, Lilly Miller Brands RTU Casoron Granules still comes highly recommended with a 4.5/5 Amazon rating after 80 reviews. Most likely because this is a once-a-year solution that has been designed to be used around roses and other especially precious or temperamental plants.
After application (ideally with a soil spreader bought from your local hardware store,) Casoron Granules are designed to dissolve with a bit of water and work overnight to kill and then inhibit new weed growth. Quick warning, though: this is a barrier solution – shifting around the soil from the site of use will reduce this product's effectiveness.
Best weed killer for garden beds: Preen 2464110 Garden Weed Preventer
- Safe around ornamentals as it doesn't kill existing root structures
- Many reviewers confirm three-month weed-free periods after use
- Some users complained of prep work needed to make the weed barrier effective
- Isolated reviewers didn't like applying granules via Preen's bag packaging
Price (RRP): $24.95Buy at eBay
Why we chose it
Hailing from a horticultural brand that's been active for over 70 years, Preen's Garden Weed Preventer Granules is a product that enjoys a 4.5/5 star rating after 1,100+ Amazon reviews. It's been designed to block weeds for up to 3 months, and a 2.5kg bag will get you 270 square metres worth of coverage.
Activated with water and formulated to be used safely around 200+ flowers, veggies, trees and shrubs, these granules can be applied basically any time except winter. Once laid down, a weed-preventing barrier forms that won't leech into your groundwater or wash away.
Preen 2464110 Garden Weed Preventer comes in a variety of sizes including 2.5kg, 5.8kg, 7.2kg and 14kg bags.
Best weed killer for large areas: Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Weed Killer
- Reviewers report ease of use and quicker than expected results
- Comes with comprehensive safety guidelines/instructions pamphlet
- Some reviewers found this product wasn't especially effective against thistles
- Some reviewers experienced a crabgrass growth boom after application
Price (RRP): $74.55Buy at eBay
Why we chose it
If you have large swathes of weeds to destroy, you should check out Southern Ag's Amine 2,4-D weed killer as it has a rating of 4.4/5 from more than 2,000 Amazon reviews. It's worth noting that we've limited our selection process here to selective weed killers as they're more versatile and therefore desirable to gardeners.
One of the best products to kill broadleaf weeds while also being useful in rangeland, pastures, turf and ditch bans, this product takes roughly two weeks to show its effects. Don't own acreage? Well, then there's enough in a bottle to keep a suburbanite lawn for ages.
Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Weed killer comes in 940ml and 3.7l bottles.
Best natural/organic weed killer: Natural Armor 30% Home & Garden Vinegar
- Potent but also friendly to the environment
- Achieves result well beyond regular home-made vinegar solutions
- Isolated user reviews stating an ineffectiveness on especially overgrown weeds
- Reviewers stating their online purchase arrived sans sprayer
Price (RRP): $47.15Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
Roughly 6 times stronger than vinegar, Natural Armor 30% Home & Garden Vinegar is the au naturel weed killer that's earned a rating of 4.5/5 after 1,300+ Amazon reviews. And as a bonus, it's not only great for nixing the noxious ones, it can also be used as a deodorizer and industrial-strength cleaner of surfaces and appliances.
Used outside, it's an eco-friendly, non-selective option that's best used to de-weed driveway, patios, pool areas, foundations and the like. To keep packaging waste down, it can also be purchased in a refill option.
It can also be purchased in 3.7l or 945ml bottles.
Best pet-friendly weed killer: OrganicMatters Vinegar 30% Industrial Concentrate
- Multipurpose product that also has indoor cleaning applications
- Comes with a convenient spray head
- Vinegar concentrate can be too overpowering an odour for some
- Some isolated reviewer reports of subpar package quality control
Price (RRP): $77.75Buy at Amazon
Why we chose it
If you need to keep a weed-free garden that's also home to an inquisitive furry loved one, OrganicMatters' Vinegar 30% Industrial Concentrate has 4.5/5 star rating after 151 Amazon reviews.
Devoid of the glyphosate chemical that's in most other similarly marketed products, OrganicMatters is non-toxic, non-GMO, biodegradable and all natural. In fact, it's basically concentrated vinegar mixed into water – a very effective and comparatively safe weed-killing formula.
The above blends can be bought in 945ml or 3.7l bottles.
Best products chosen
- Our editorial team compared weed killers from brands found in major supermarkets across Australia as well as online retailers.
- We examined hundreds of customer reviews and ratings as well as expert reviews.
- The products on this list are chosen by our editorial team and are not selected based on commercial relationships.
More guides on Finder
Best bassinets in Australia
These are the 8 best bassinets you can buy right now in Australia.
Best nappy bags in Australia
These are the 9 best nappy bags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best booster seats in Australia
These are the 6 best booster seats you can buy right now in Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
The best SNES games of all time
The SNES was the king of the hill in the 16-bit retro gaming era; here are the 8 best titles that you should own.
10 best retro games (and where to buy them)
Retro games players and collectors love classic games; here are the best game picks for the most popular retro systems.
Best baby changing tables in Australia
These are the six best baby changing tables you can buy right now in Australia.
How to build a DIY Raspberry Pi arcade machine for retro gaming
We explain everything you need to make your own retro arcade machine, built around the super-flexible Raspberry Pi.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best camping stoves in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to help you find the best camping stoves you can buy right now.
Ask an Expert