Someone special is getting married and you want to find the perfect gift. If you have no idea where to start, here’s a detailed guide to help you find that gift you are looking for.
Finding the perfect gift for a couple during their wedding day can be a tiring task but following the right gift giving etiquette can help point you in the right direction. Here are a few things you should consider as you start gift shopping.
- Wedding registry. If the couple has registered for specific products in a certain store, it is always advised to use this as a guide and use it to choose their gift. This ensures that you don’t present a gift that is not useful to them. If the store is not in your area, then it is acceptable to get a similar product from another store.
- Is it an obligation for you to give a gift? Just because you have been honoured to be part of the happy couple’s special day does not mean that you must present them with a gift. Despite this, it is always good etiquette to carry a gift to the wedding or send one in case you cannot attend the ceremony. You can also choose to gift a group gift with a group of friends which can make it less of a burden.
- How much should you spend? There are different schools of thought on how much one should spend. Some suggest spending a rough amount that reflects the wedding costs and reception while others disagree with this. One thing to remember is that a thoughtful gift is more important and valuable than the price tag. Your relationship to the bride or groom should direct you on how much you are going to spend. If you have a close relationship with the couple, you can spend more compared to an acquaintance.
- Cash gifts. You can give the happy couple cash as most couples need cash when starting out their new life more than they need other material things. Make sure to mail a check, and if it’s on the wedding day, make sure you give the envelope directly to the couple or put your gift in a guarded box or basket.
- Include a gift receipt and a card. It is always good to include a card with your wedding gift, this way the couple will know where to send a thank you card and can appreciate your effort. It is also a good idea to also include the gift receipt to give the couple a chance to benefit from any warranty offered or get the chance to switch or return the gift.
What are the best wedding gifts to give
So what can be considered some of the best gifts to give the happy newlywed couple?
- Decor. Help the couple start off in their new home by gifting home decor. A decorative wall art or bowl for fresh fruits or even an attractive ottoman can be a simple way to wish the couple the best in their new life.
- Charity donations. Make a donation to the couple’s favourite charity in the couple’s name. This is a great gift that is not only unique but should be highly appreciated. This also makes for the perfect gift for a couple who have a 'no gifts' rule in their invitation.
- Help with the honeymoon. A honeymoon can turn out to be more expensive than a wedding and your help to make the couple’s honeymoon memorable will be highly appreciated. You can do this by buying their tickets or even giving gift certificates for romantic dinners, spa reservations, or any other activities.
- Monetary gift. As a wedding and honeymoon is an expensive affair, a cash gift may be more thoughtful and helpful than a purchased item. This will help the couple deal with large purchases, such as a down payment for a new house, and will be remembered years to come.
- Wine. Get the couple one or several bottles of wines to help celebrate their union. You can have these accompanied with a set of classy wine glasses.
- Bathroom accessories. A set of cotton monogrammed towels, bathrobes, or even a set of luxurious soaps and spa bath salts will transform any bathroom to a relaxing spa and makes for the perfect wedding gift.
- Electronics. Acquire the latest digital camera, home speakers, Blu-ray player or any other top electronic products that is guaranteed to be loved.
Worst wedding gifts that you should avoid giving
There are some items and gifts that everyone should avoid presenting a couple on their wedding day. Here are some of the worst wedding gifts that you should definitely steer clear off.
- Re-gifted gifts. It goes without saying that a used gift makes the list of worst gifts. Despite the urge to save up on some money and give the couple a gift from a previous occasion, it is something that you should avoid. This act will be interpreted as not only lack of gift giving etiquette but also as thoughtless.
- A gift out of the couple’s lifestyle. No matter how great a product seems, you should make sure that it is something that the couple can use. There is no need to buy patio furniture if the couple lives in an apartment in the middle of the city - this will just add stress to the couple on what to do with it.
- A suggestive gift. It is always safe to steer clear off some products that can be misinterpreted or cause misunderstandings, such as baby items or even self-help books.
- A gift that can spoil or go bad. The best gifts are the products that will last for sometime if not for years to come. This means that you shouldn’t go for products that will easily spoil in a couple of days, such as fruits or flowers, as the couple will come home from their honeymoon to find dried or moldy fruits.
- A gift that requires the couple to make subsequent payments. A gift that requires upkeep is never a good idea as it might end up being a burden to the couple in the long run.
Top tips to choosing the perfect wedding gifts
After learning about the gift giving rules and some of the best and worst wedding gift ideas, you might still feel unsure on how to choose the perfect gift. We have provided you with a few suggestions to help you out.
- Consult the wedding registry. The couple’s registry is designed specifically to communicate the couple’s needs and preferences, making it the best place for you to start your search.
- Consult a close friend or family member. If you find yourself confused on what to buy or what the couple might like, it is always a safe bet to ask someone who is close to them. This will help you know of any interests or hobbies that might help you in your purchase.
- Consider the couple’s age and whether it is their first wedding. A couple’s age is something to consider as you go shopping for their wedding gift. If it is their second wedding, then the couple already has most of the home appliances. This means that it might not be a good idea to get them a blender or toaster. Additionally, people in different age groups have different interests and hobbies which might eliminate some gifts.
Best wedding gifts selection
Retro Napkin Holder with Napkins from Zanui
This napkin holder is made from stainless steel and with a shiny finish, making it ideal for your napkins.View details
Chain Wine Bottle Holder from The Hut
This wine holder can also double up as an ornament due to its design which is made of welded chain links that balance perfectly when coupled with a bottle, keeping that wine held up in mid air as if by... magic.View details
Vera Wang Wedgwood Best Gifts Under $100 from Macy's
Vera Wang offers a range of gifts that includes a crystal vase, a silver-plated picture frame, candle holders and a range of glasses. All these gifts come at varying prices.View details
Set of Marriage Chef Aprons Lips Rhinestones Mr Mrs Moustache Wedding Bridal Gift from Amazon
This cute Mr. and Mrs. apron set comes a cute set of pretty lips for the Mrs. Apron and a moustache for the Mr. apron.View details
Current deals and offers
Why shop at finder.com.au for the best wedding gifts?
- Free shipping. Enjoy free shipping on certain products or purchases above a certain amount from some of our featured retailers. Additionally, our guide gives you an idea of how much you will spend on your purchases.
- The convenience of online shopping. You do not have to go from one store to the next looking for the perfect wedding gift as our online retailers bring all the top products to you so you can shop from the comfort of your own home. You no longer have to compromise your busy schedule to go shopping.
- Deals and discounts. We make it our agenda to make sure that you are informed of the latest sales and discounts being offered by our retailers. If there’s a sale, trust that we will let you know about it so you can save your hard earned money. Moreover, using our promo codes, you can save some more money and still get the best wedding gift.