Best time to visit Vancouver and Whistler for sun or snow
Score on hotel deals while still experiencing everything Vancouver and Whistler have to offer.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Vancouver and Whistler are both hot spots on the west coast of Canada for adventure and outdoor activities. To experience incredible nature and city sights, we’ve found the best time to visit Vancouver and Whistler for an outdoor holiday.
Best time to visit Vancouver and Whistler
We recommend visiting between April and June or in September.
Why should I go then?
Temperatures are mild (5°C-19°C) in Vancouver with smaller crowds as locals are in school and summer holidays have yet to begin. April to June in Vancouver is filled with flowers while September brings autumn foliage. June and September in Whistler are the shoulder months before tourism picks up or starts to die down, but the weather is still comfortable with mild temperatures. Whistler acts as a perfect base for camping and hiking. In June, Blackcomb Mountain is open for glacier skiing.
Latest Vancouver and Whistler travel deals
Up to 15% off classic tours and My Own Room
Available on select trips until 30 June 2022 to Australia, New Zealand, Bali, Alaska, India, Thailand, Peru, South Africa, Japan, Maldives, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 60% off express deals
Available on select dates in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and more. T&Cs apply
Up to $800 Europe and America trips
Available on tours until November 2022 to Britain, Ireland, Portugal, Croatia, USA, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Flights to Canada from $1,138 return
Available on select flights until December 2021 to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and more. Sample fare is Sydney-Vancouver with Philippine Airlines. T&Cs apply.
Up to 35% off Canada hotels
Available on select stay dates in Toronto, Niagara Falls, Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 45% off flights for students
Join and become a member of Student club and receive promo codes on flights. Available for students who are in university or college and aged 18-30. Destinations include London, Paris, Auckland, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 50% off worldwide flights
Available on select dates when you book Express Deals. Destination include Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA and more. T&Cs apply.
Save up to 40% off flights
Book a flight with Hotwire for up to 40% off the regular price. Destinations include USA, Canada and more.
Up to 60% off last minute stays
Available on select stay dates across USA, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Free nights with Best Western Rewards points
Earn points and redeem a free night on worldwide stays. Destinations include Canada, USA and more. T&Cs apply.
Free car rental for members
Join the Emerald Club and earn 1 rental credit for every qualified car rental. Inclusive of free rental days and other benefits. Destinations include Australia, Canada, United States and more. T&Cs apply.
5% off airport transfers and car hire
Valid on select dates and destinations worldwide. Destinations include USA, Canada, Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean, Sydney, and the Czech Republic. T&C's apply.
Compare over 800 car hire companies worldwide
Rentalcars.com can help you compare major car hire company rates for the best price. Companies it compares include Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar and Budget. Destinations include Australia, New Zealand, Canada and more.
Up to $264 off worldwide tours
Available on select dates when you book 2 trips of 7 days or more. Destinations include Croatia, Iceland, Los Angeles, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 10% off young travellers
Available on select dates to young travellers aged 5-17. Destinations include Croatia, Iceland, Los Angeles, Canada and more. T&Cs apply.
Work and travel trips from $2,595
Available on 4-24 months of experience across UK, Canada, Australia, USA and New Zealand. T&Cs apply.
Vancouver and Whistler are both great destinations to visit year round. The winters are mild compared to the rest of Canada and they offer outdoor activities any time of the year. Summer, from June to August, is the peak tourist season as locals take to the water in Vancouver and Whistler has activities such as hiking available. Temperatures range from 10°C-21°C.
Autumn, from September to November, is when tourists head back home and temperatures fall to anywhere from 1°C-20°C. Outdoor activities are still plentiful this time of year. December to February is peak season for Whistler as the mountains open for downhill sports, while Vancouver is quiet as temperatures drop further to around 0°C-8°C. During March to May, prices drop slightly in Whistler and you can still find bargains in Vancouver. Temperatures reach 1°C-17°C.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Vancouver and Whistler, weather-wise. May to June and September offer warm temperatures with plenty of outdoor activities.
Cheapest time to visit Vancouver and Whistler. September to November have bargain hotel prices as locals go back to work or school and temperatures begin to dip. The snow has yet to fall in Whistler, so it is the sweet spot before the skiers and snowboarders start arriving and drive the prices up.
Best time to visit Vancouver and Whistler for...
- The Rockies. The beginning of autumn (mid-September to mid-October) is best for airfare and accommodation deals. The weather is still mild and is perfect for hiking without having to deal with the crowds. December to mid-April is best for winter activities like skiing and snowshoeing.
- Skiing. December to March is when winter activities, like skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and tubing, are abundant. It is also peak season so be sure to book in advance. March is the best month to find travel sales although the warmer temperatures can affect skiing and snowboarding conditions.
- Whale watching off Vancouver Island. April to November is the most consistent time of year for spotting killer whales. You can see humpback whales almost any time of the year but are most popular through August to December.
- Fishing. You can go on a fishing trip from Vancouver at anytime of the year. Winter (December to March) is the least popular, while summer (June to August) is great for saltwater and pink salmon and is the most popular season. Autumn (September to November) is great for fly fishing and catching king salmon. Spring (March to May) brings back sturgeon fishing after the winter months.
- Wildlife. September to November is the best time for viewing wildlife. Bear viewing tours continue and eagle tours begin for the season. You can find salmon in the rivers and animals will be active as they prepare to hibernate for the winter.
- Vancouver Gardens. April to June is when the gardens showcase a variety of plants. In April, rhododendrons, azaleas and dogwood start to show. May is when tulips bloom and June is when most of the plants are in full bloom. The early morning, around 9am, is best when crowds are the smallest.
- Cruise trips to Alaska. Mid-June to mid-July is the sweet spot in Alaska with long days filled with sunlight. May and September are the shoulder seasons when you can find discounts on tours and accommodation. The weather is extremely unpredictable but from mid-June to mid-July, the weather should permit hiking and sightseeing outdoors with temperatures from 15°C-26°C. Canada is often used as a base to enter Alaska with numerous cruise sailings between Vancouver and Alaska annually.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 55% off Lay-Z Inflatable Spas, $899 Macbook Air laptops, 36% off Nespresso coffee machines.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Best places to visit in October
Our top five Australia destinations to spend the middle of spring in. Plus, the best destinations to visit in Europe, USA, Asia and more for future travels.
Best time to visit Newfoundland
Find the best time to visit Newfoundland no matter what you’ve got planned.
Best time to visit Jamaica
Whether you want to get your groove on at a Jamaican festival or relax at an all-inclusive beach resort, here’s the lowdown on the best time to visit Jamaica.
Best time to visit Machu Picchu
This guide covers what month to go and visit Machu Picchu based on seasons and weather, and the best time of day to enter.
Best time to visit Banff
Find out the best time to make the most of your visit Banff, no matter your budget or itinerary.
Best places to travel in July
Do you escape the winter or embrace it? Whichever way you swing, there’s a holiday destination in our nation for you.
Best time to visit Spain
The months before and after summer are often the best times to visit Spain, although there are many reasons to go throughout the year.
Ask an Expert