Best time to visit Thredbo for snow and hiking
Get outdoors during the peak seasons to maximise your outdoor holiday.
While it’s a snowy wonderland during the winter months, you can visit Thredbo for a range of favourite outdoor activities any time of the year with these quick weather tips.
Thredbo's biggest claim to fame is the snow season, which typically starts on the Queen's Birthday long weekend in June and ends on the Labour Day long weekend in October, but these are the best times within that period to actually visit depending on your needs.
TL;DR: When is the best time to visit Thredbo?
- Skiing: July and August
- Hiking: December, January and February
- Cheapest time: June and September
- Overall best time: Late June/early July and late August/early September
Ready to go? See our latest Thredbo travel deals
Extra 8% off on hotel bookings
Save on hotel stays before 31 December 2020 in Australia, New Zealand, Bali, Fiji, Thailand, Singapore, USA and more. Available at select hotels.
Up to 60% off Australia-wide stays + Extra 8% off
Available on select stay dates in 2020 and 2021. Destinations include Sydney, Canberra, Newcastle and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 51% off ski and snowboard hire credit in Jindabyne
Available until 5 October 2020. Voucher valid for one person only. T&Cs apply.
Up to 16% off winter escapes
Available on select dates in 2020. Destinations include Jindabyne, Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, Falls Creek, Mount Buller and more.
Stay in Jindabyne near Charlotte Pass from $79 per night
Book accommodation near Charlotte Pass from just $79 per night with Expedia.com.au.
Late June/early July and late August/early September will being optimal snow conditions with fewer crowds.
This is before the peak season starts, which is also outside of school holiday periods - some of the busiest times at Australia's snow resorts.
While the absolute best conditions for snow at Thredbo are mid-July to mid-August, travelling just before or just after this time will reward you with similar conditions, but cheaper accommodation in the area as there's less demand for the limited accommodation in Thredbo Village.
If you're after the perfect snow conditions, your best bet is to travel in July and August. These are the two coldest months at Thredbo where overnight temperatures will drop below freezing, optimal for snowfall.
August sees the second-highest amount of precipitation throughout the year meaning you may get lucky with fresh snow on the trails.
Being much cooler than the rest of Australia during the summertime, December to February, is best. Expect pleasant temperatures that peak between 20-22 degrees.
These are also some of the driest months of the year, so you have much less of a chance of getting caught in the rain during your hike.
While there are a host of walking tracks in the area, the iconic 4km trek up Mount Kosciuszko is covered in snow from around June to October and there are no poles marking the route when it's covered.
If you're looking for the cheapest time to go skiing and enjoy the snow at Thredbo at Thredbo, visit in June or September. Thredbo usually opens the first week in June and is open until mid-late September. While the conditions will likely be a bit slushy with limited runs open, there are often early bird specials and packages available this time of the season where you can save a bundle.
The overall cheapest time to visit would likely be May and November, as less demand means you'll find some of the best prices on accommodation at Thredbo Village as it's between the snow season and peak hiking season.
Best time to visit Thredbo for...
- Snow: July and August will ensure that there is adequate cover on the mountains as the colder temperatures allow for snow to be made if not enough has fallen.
- Horseriding: Horseriding is available all year round. The summer months of November to March will offer warmer temperatures if riding through the mountains or doing a multi-day trip. June to October are best if you want to ride through the snow.
- Camping: Camping is available all year round but is best experienced in the summer when temperatures have warmed up and less equipment is needed. Camping is not allowed in Thredbo Village itself but only in Kosciuszko National Park. Camp during the shoulder months of March or November for less people.
- Hiking: Summer, November to February, is best as temperatures on the mountains are much cooler than in the village and will be a more comfortable adventure.
Latest Thredbo travel deals
Popular Top 5 Travel Deals coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|17 Apr 2020||Up to 25% off last-minute tours worldwide||********|
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|5 Aug 2020||Extra 8% off on hotel bookings||CLP****|
|4 Aug 2020||Extra 10% off experiences with code||RBF****|
|29 Jul 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|13 Jul 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|22 May 2020||Extra 9% off hotel bookings||AUT****|
Ask an Expert