When is the best time to visit Thailand?
Uncover the ideal months to travel to Thailand for cool weather, budget flights and less crowds.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The lowdown on the perfect time to explore Thailand's chaotic city centres and pristine beachfronts.
Best time to visit Thailand
If you’re planning a trip to Thailand, the best months to consider are April to May.
April to May caps off Thailand’s peak dry season, so by visiting on the tail-end of this popular period, you’ll avoid the most of the beach’s visitors. You’ll also be in and out before wet season, which starts in late-May to early June.
Tropical Thailand experiences a wet season from June to October, and a dry season from November to May. The Thai Peninsula also has monsoon seasons from April to October on the west coast, and from September to December on the east coast.
Thailand is a popular destination for Australian honeymooners, partygoers and sunseekers, so aim to avoid peak periods, such as Australian school holidays during December and January.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Thailand weather-wise: is any time during the November to May dry season. To avoid Christmas holiday-makers, book from November to early December and from February to May. If you're heading to Thailand for a beach holiday, keep in mind that the monsoon season on the western side of the country, including Phuket, sees the most rain from May to December, while the Gulf of Thailand, including Koh Samui, sees the most rain from September to January.
Cheapest time to visit Thailand: Travelling between March and May.
Best time to visit Thailand for...
- Honeymoons: For romance, there’s no better place than a Thai island such as Phuket, Krabi or Ko Phi Phi. Peak season is November to February, though you can still cash in on sun-blessed beaches through into May.
- Surfing: Phuket is one of Thailand’s most accessible islands and is a popular surfing haunt. The best time to ride the waves is between April and September, right before monsoon season.
- Snorkelling and diving: The Surin Islands are a favourite diving spot 60km off the west of Thailand’s mainland. Mu Ko Surin Marine National Park is open mid-November to mid-May depending on weather conditions. December to April has the driest weather with little wind. If you're heading to Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand to the east of the mainland, it's the opposite. The best time to go are from March to August while September to January brings rain.
- Temple hopping: The dry season between November and May is the ideal time to go sightseeing and explore the beauty of the country’s culture and religion.
- Exploring the jungles of the north: Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have a jungle landscape that is rife with animal encounters and trekking adventures. February to May fall into a low season, so it’s a good time to find some bargain packages. Days are hot, but afternoons and evenings are cool.
Hot Thailand travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|1 Nov 2020||Up to 75% off Australia activities + an extra 10% off with code||MAD****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|28 Sep 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
Find out the best time to go to...
More guides on Finder
RBA survey: Experts forecast 800+ “zombie” companies to fail in September
With the end of JobKeeper fast approaching, experts and economists expect a rise in the number of business insolvencies, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Podcast: Roger Montgomery talks about the best time to buy stocks
2020's stock market has been a rollercoaster, but is there an opportunity in the volatility? Investor Roger Montgomery explains where to start investing.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
RBA Survey: Half of experts think RBA made wrong call with cash rate cuts
Finder pulled a survey from different Economists if the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) made the right call on recent cuts cash rate.
Scoot overseas with cheap Asia flights from $135 one way
EXPIRED: Kick off those 2020 travel goals with a trip to India, Thailand or Japan.
This AirAsia sale is taking you to Asia from $213 return
EXPIRED: Explore everything Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and the Maldives have to offer.
This Singapore Airlines sale is flying you to Asia from $546
EXPIRED: Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam and Japan await.
Take your adventure overseas from $119 with the latest Jetstar sale
EXPIRED: Singapore, Bali, Ho Chi Minh and "Seoul" much more.
Fly to Asia and Europe from $546 with this Singapore Airlines sale
EXPIRED: Get ready to see Rome, Paris, Phuket, Tokyo and more with Singapore Airlines.
Ask an Expert