Uncover the ideal months to travel to Thailand for cool weather, budget flights and less crowds.
The lowdown on the perfect time to explore Thailand's chaotic city centres and pristine beachfronts.
Best time to visit Thailand
If you’re planning a trip to Thailand, the best months to consider are April to May.
April to May caps off Thailand’s peak dry season, so by visiting on the tail-end of this popular period, you’ll avoid the most of the beach’s visitors. You’ll also be in and out before wet season, which starts in late-May to early June.
Tropical Thailand experiences a wet season from June to October, and a dry season from November to May. The Thai Peninsula also has monsoon seasons from April to October on the west coast, and from September to December on the east coast.
Thailand is a popular destination for Australian honeymooners, partygoers and sunseekers, so aim to avoid peak periods, such as Australian school holidays during December and January.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Thailand weather-wise: is any time during the November to May dry season. To avoid Christmas holiday-makers, book from November to early December and from February to May. If you're heading to Thailand for a beach holiday, keep in mind that the monsoon season on the western side of the country, including Phuket, sees the most rain from May to December, while the Gulf of Thailand, including Koh Samui, sees the most rain from September to January.
Cheapest time to visit Thailand: Travelling between March and May.
Best time to visit Thailand for...
- Honeymoons: For romance, there’s no better place than a Thai island such as Phuket, Krabi or Ko Phi Phi. Peak season is November to February, though you can still cash in on sun-blessed beaches through into May.
- Surfing: Phuket is one of Thailand’s most accessible islands and is a popular surfing haunt. The best time to ride the waves is between April and September, right before monsoon season.
- Snorkelling and diving: The Surin Islands are a favourite diving spot 60km off the west of Thailand’s mainland. Mu Ko Surin Marine National Park is open mid-November to mid-May depending on weather conditions. December to April has the driest weather with little wind. If you're heading to Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand to the east of the mainland, it's the opposite. The best time to go are from March to August while September to January brings rain.
- Temple hopping: The dry season between November and May is the ideal time to go sightseeing and explore the beauty of the country’s culture and religion.
- Exploring the jungles of the north: Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have a jungle landscape that is rife with animal encounters and trekking adventures. February to May fall into a low season, so it’s a good time to find some bargain packages. Days are hot, but afternoons and evenings are cool.
Hot Thailand travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|10 Sep 2019||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|31 Jul 2019||Extra 8% off flights worldwide||AUM****|
|10 Jul 2019||10% off local experiences||10F****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 15% off airport parking across Australia||AWA****|
|9 Apr 2019||Up to 50% off experiences + extra 10% off with code||FIN****|