Pave the perfect holiday by booking your Tassie travel dates based on weather and price.
We looked at Tasmania to see where the perfect balance of ideal weather and affordability lies. Here are our findings.
Best time to visit Tasmania
December to March.
December to March has all the makings of an ideal Tasmanian adventure as its summer is mild and its cloud cover is low. Admittedly, the Christmas months of December and January are peak season, but with the temperature at its highest you’ll be able to enjoy hiking and outdoor activities at their finest. Make sure you book early for cheap prices.
Alternatively, February and March are still pleasant with temperature highs of 17℃ and deals aplenty.
Tasmania enjoys four seasons. Its summers are warm with maximum temperatures of 21℃ and its winters are chilly with highs of 11℃.
Tasmania is a popular holiday spot for Australian families and outdoor enthusiasts as its warm season coincides with the Christmas school holidays.
Those wishing to avoid peak season can visit in autumn (March to May) when the weather is cooler and prices have fallen.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Tasmania, weather wise. December and January are the warmest and driest months.
Cheapest time to visit Tasmania. Prices outside the summer holidays tend to remain steady, so search for deals anytime from February to November.
Best time to visit Tasmania for...
- City sightseeing. You can visit Tasmania’s cities year round. The best time to visit is during the summer as they come to life with festivals and markets.
- Hiking and outdoor pursuits. Since Tasmanian summers are so mild, you can enjoy hiking and other outdoor activities in December and January. These months also come with the added benefit of long daylight hours. Booking season for popular hikes such as the Overland Track is from May to October with the best weather occurring from November to April. The track is open all year.
- Beaches. Naturally, you should enjoy beaches in the heat of the summer which runs from December to January.
- Wineries. Visiting wineries between November and February offers you the chance to see the vineyards prior to harvest.
- Skiing Ben Lomond National Park. The snow season on Ben Lomond National Park runs from July to mid-September.