When is the best time to visit Sydney?
Discover the perfect time to explore Sydney’s beaches and nearby national parks.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Is Sydney one of the destinations you’ve always wanted to tick off your bucket list?
Lucky for you we have researched the best times throughout the year to visit the picturesque harbour city so you get the most out of your holiday.
Best time to visit Sydney
September to November or March to May.
These months are the shoulder periods of Sydney’s high and low seasons, offering visitors comfortable temperatures, manageable tourist crowds and lower prices on accommodation and activities.
September in Sydney marks the beginning of Spring and brings along with it all the hallmarks that make this season so ideal. September is the month of the year with the lowest amount of rainfall and the days are consistently warm. Planning your trip to Sydney in September and the beginning of October also means avoiding the school holiday peak periods – an important factor given that Sydney’s accommodation can be expensive and crowds dense.
Travelling between March to May in Sydney means you can experience the best of the Autumn leaves and vibrant colours that ensue. Also visiting between March to May means avoiding the busy school holiday periods, while also being able to experience warm weather.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Sydney for weather: If you’re looking to experience comfortable temperatures, visiting Sydney between September to November is best.
Cheapest time to visit Sydney: Visiting Sydney on the outskirts of the school holiday periods, between early September to early October or March to May, will mean accommodation prices are lower and tourist destinations are less populated.
Best time to visit Sydney for...
- Beaches: If you’re looking to catch some waves at Sydney’s best beaches visiting between September to December is best as this marks the beginning of Spring and early Summer where the temperature is perfect for days out.
- Vivid Sydney: If you are hoping to experience the Sydney festival scene travelling between May to June is ideal as Vivid Sydney takes place during this period and is one of the most beautiful ways to see the city.
- Hunter Valley: If you’re looking to experience the best the Hunter Valley has to offer visiting during March to May is the most postcard worthy, when the Autumn leaves are their most vibrant and the temperature still warm.
- Blue Mountains: Visiting the Blue Mountains during March to May is ideal as the Autumn leaves are at their most beautiful.
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge: If you want to climb the Harbour Bridge booking your trip during September is best as it statistically has the lowest rainfall during the year and offers comfortable climates.
- Visiting the Opera House: If you want to experience the Opera House at its best picking a date during September through to November offers comfortable temperatures and the crowds won’t be too overbearing.
- Luna Park: Visit out of the school holiday periods during September to October when the weather's still warm and comfortable.
Hot Sydney travel deals
Popular Sydney Travel Deals coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|27 Oct 2020||Pier One Sydney Harbour getaway for 2 from $295||D60****|
|26 Oct 2020||Up to $5 off car hires||QEE****|
|23 Oct 2020||Up to $60 off Sydney shark dive experience + Extra 10% off with code||RBF****|
|23 Oct 2020||Kids activities at home from $15 + Extra $10 off with code||FDR****|
|23 Oct 2020||Up to 31% off flying experiences + Extra 10% off with code||RBF****|
Find out the best time to go to...
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes
More guides on Finder
This Jetstar sale gets you to the Northern Territory from $107
EXPIRED: Isn't it time you paid the Top End a visit?
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Sydney date ideas: Art events in October 2020
Fill your October agenda with these artistic dates around the city.
Hands-on Ultimate Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb: What to expect
Set your sights on the new Ultimate Climb experience from BridgeClimb Sydney, letting you climb the entire length of the bridge for the first time.
How to experience Seoul in Sydney
Savour the city of Seoul in Sydney by satisfying your hunger at these Korean restaurants, walking through pagoda-filled parklands and shopping for the best in makeup and beauty.
Where to eat truffles in Sydney for date night – A couple of travel makers
Seven cafes and restaurants serving up truffle dishes for your next date night in Sydney.
RBA survey: Experts forecast 800+ “zombie” companies to fail in September
With the end of JobKeeper fast approaching, experts and economists expect a rise in the number of business insolvencies, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
RBA survey: Only 35% of experts think now is a good time to buy property
Results from the latest Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey show that just 35% of experts think now is a good time to buy property, with 8% predicting property values to fall as much as 8% by September.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2020
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Ask an Expert