When is the best time to visit Sydney?
Discover the perfect time to explore Sydney’s beaches and nearby national parks.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Is Sydney one of the destinations you’ve always wanted to tick off your bucket list?
Lucky for you we have researched the best times throughout the year to visit the picturesque harbour city so you get the most out of your holiday.
Best time to visit Sydney
September to November or March to May.
These months are the shoulder periods of Sydney’s high and low seasons, offering visitors comfortable temperatures, manageable tourist crowds and lower prices on accommodation and activities.
September in Sydney marks the beginning of Spring and brings along with it all the hallmarks that make this season so ideal. September is the month of the year with the lowest amount of rainfall and the days are consistently warm. Planning your trip to Sydney in September and the beginning of October also means avoiding the school holiday peak periods – an important factor given that Sydney’s accommodation can be expensive and crowds dense.
Travelling between March to May in Sydney means you can experience the best of the Autumn leaves and vibrant colours that ensue. Also visiting between March to May means avoiding the busy school holiday periods, while also being able to experience warm weather.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Sydney for weather: If you’re looking to experience comfortable temperatures, visiting Sydney between September to November is best.
Cheapest time to visit Sydney: Visiting Sydney on the outskirts of the school holiday periods, between early September to early October or March to May, will mean accommodation prices are lower and tourist destinations are less populated.
Best time to visit Sydney for...
- Beaches: If you’re looking to catch some waves at Sydney’s best beaches visiting between September to December is best as this marks the beginning of Spring and early Summer where the temperature is perfect for days out.
- Vivid Sydney: If you are hoping to experience the Sydney festival scene travelling between May to June is ideal as Vivid Sydney takes place during this period and is one of the most beautiful ways to see the city.
- Hunter Valley: If you’re looking to experience the best the Hunter Valley has to offer visiting during March to May is the most postcard worthy, when the Autumn leaves are their most vibrant and the temperature still warm.
- Blue Mountains: Visiting the Blue Mountains during March to May is ideal as the Autumn leaves are at their most beautiful.
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge: If you want to climb the Harbour Bridge booking your trip during September is best as it statistically has the lowest rainfall during the year and offers comfortable climates.
- Visiting the Opera House: If you want to experience the Opera House at its best picking a date during September through to November offers comfortable temperatures and the crowds won’t be too overbearing.
- Luna Park: Visit out of the school holiday periods during September to October when the weather's still warm and comfortable.
Hot Sydney travel deals
Find out the best time to go to...
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 55% off Lay-Z Inflatable Spas, $899 Macbook Air laptops, 36% off Nespresso coffee machines.
Best nappy bags in Australia
These are the 9 best nappy bags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
11 best tips for families visiting Dubbo Zoo: Parents’ guide
Dubbo Zoo is a great experience for families with kids of all ages, but get the inside tip in our parents' guide before you go.
Dubbo Zoo review: Is it worth it with kids?
Finder's Dubbo Zoo review was conducted by a family of five, including three kids under ten. Is it any good?
This Qantas sale has you saying hello to Tasmania from $149
EXPIRED: It's time to see Tasmania once again with Qantas.
This Jetstar sale gets you to the Northern Territory from $107
EXPIRED: Isn't it time you paid the Top End a visit?
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Jetstar slashes prices from $89 on Gold Coast to Hobart route
EXPIRED: Consider your summer holiday plans sorted.
Sydney date ideas: Art events in October 2020
Fill your October agenda with these artistic dates around the city.
Ask an Expert