Best time to visit Rome and its nearby cities
These are the best times to explore Rome without being surrounded by crowds at the city’s top attractions.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Visit the must-see attractions, such as the Colosseum and St Peter’s Basilica, at the perfect time of day to skip the lines. Roam the streets in search of gelato in the summer heat and sip on fine wine in any season. We know the best seasons for visiting and are sharing our tips with you.
Best time to visit Rome
May to June and September to October
These months are the shoulder months for the peak tourist season of summer (July to August) when the majority of Europe is on holiday. The weather is still ideal for being outdoors since temperatures are warm (11°C-26°C) and there is little rainfall. There are smaller crowds than in the summer and prices are more affordable.
Rome is a beautiful city to visit any time of the year. In the winter (November to February), the crowds are smaller and the temperatures are mild (3°C-15°C), with the temperature rarely dipping below zero. You can expect to see some rain, but prices are at their lowest.
Spring (March to June) and autumn (September to October) are the best times for a mix of good weather conditions, decent prices and smaller crowds. Temperatures range from 5°C-26°C. Summer (July to August) is when the city sights are the busiest and the temperatures are the highest at 18°C-30°C. You should avoid August when many locals leave town and close down their businesses, although tourist businesses will still be open.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Rome, weatherwise. May to June and September have warm temperatures but aren’t too hot, so outdoor sightseeing and lines are bearable.
Cheapest time to visit Rome. Winter, from November to February, has the lowest prices. You should skip the Christmas and New Year’s period to avoid a spike in prices.
Best time to visit Rome for...
- St Peter’s Basilica. The fewest number of people visit in the winter months of November to February, excluding the Christmas period. It is best to visit in the afternoon any time of the year, and Fridays tend to be the least busy.
- Colosseum. Winter (November to February) is low tourist season and the time when the Colosseum experiences the smallest crowds, except for Christmas and New Year’s. Temperatures will be cooler, but still comfortable. In summer, most crowds show up in the morning when it opens (8:30am), but it is best to avoid midday when temperatures peak as there is no shade. In spring and autumn, visit in the early morning or 1-2 hours before the Colosseum closes.
- Paris and Rome. Paris and Rome experience the same peak tourist times in summer from June to August. To see both cities and to enjoy smaller crowds, moderate prices and mild temperatures, visit in spring (March to May) or in autumn (September to October). Autumn has less rain in Paris and is an ideal time for Rome weather, too.
- Rome and Venice. Venice is ideal from September to November when tourists leave the city deserted.Temperaturesrange from3°C-23°C and the prices for accommodation drop significantly. Rome also experiences smaller crowds, lower prices and similar temperatures around this time.
- Rome and Florence. The same as Rome, Florence is perfect in the shoulder seasons of May to June and September to October when Europeans have finished their holidays. Temperatures are mild but still great for being outdoors. There are smaller crowds and lower rates for accommodation.
- Rome and the Amalfi Coast. April to June on the Amalfi Coast is the best when the flowers are blooming and the temperatures have warmed up to allow nice swimming conditions. These months avoid the peak tourist season and the colder months later in the year. Rome is also great during these months for smaller crowds and lower prices.
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|1 Nov 2020||Up to 75% off Australia activities + an extra 10% off with code||MAD****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|28 Sep 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
Find out the best time to go to...
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes
More guides on Finder
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Best places to visit in October 2020
Our top five Australia destinations to spend the middle of spring in. Plus, the best destinations to visit in Europe, USA, Asia and more for future travels.
Best time to visit Newfoundland
Find the best time to visit Newfoundland no matter what you’ve got planned.
Best time to visit Jamaica
Whether you want to get your groove on at a Jamaican festival or relax at an all-inclusive beach resort, here’s the lowdown on the best time to visit Jamaica.
Best time to visit Machu Picchu
This guide covers what month to go and visit Machu Picchu based on seasons and weather, and the best time of day to enter.
Best time to visit Banff
Find out the best time to make the most of your visit Banff, no matter your budget or itinerary.
Best time to visit Spain
The months before and after summer are often the best times to visit Spain, although there are many reasons to go throughout the year.
The top 5 places to visit in April for flowers, beaches and events
You've still got time to book that well-deserved April holiday... and make the most of the Easter and Anzac Day public holidays.
Best autumn destinations in Australia to add to your list from March to May
The Australian autumn is truly a beautiful time to explore the nation, and to get you out and about we've honed in on eight destinations that really shine this season.
Ask an Expert