Island-hop around the Philippines at the perfect time for your wallet and the weather.
We’ve done the research for you and found the prime time to visit the Philippines for water activities, sightseeing and beach days. The ideal timing we’re sharing with you will have you saving money for your upcoming holiday and experiencing the country’s hot spots with fewer crowds.
Best time to visit the Philippines
May and November.
The shoulder months of peak tourist season are the ideal time to visit because there are fewer crowds, the weather is still pleasant and it’s the best time to score a travel deal. However, weather in the Philippines is unpredictable and typhoons can hit as early as May. May is one of the hottest months of the year and temperatures can peak at 36°C which can make for perfect beach and snorkelling weather.
The Philippines experiences its high season from December–April with December–February being the coolest for a more pleasurable time sightseeing. May and November bring in some rainfall but not enough to deter visitors as these months are the shoulders that also bring in lower prices. June–September has periods of torrential rain from typhoons while accommodation prices drop even further.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Philippines, weather-wise: November–April will experience the least amount of rain and warm but not extreme temperatures.
Cheapest time to visit Philippines: May–October is monsoon season but is the best time to find travel deals. Visit in the shoulder months of May, October and November for the least amount of rain.
Best time to visit Philippines to...
- Honeymoon: To avoid the crowds and pricey resorts book your honeymoon in the shoulder months of May and November. The weather will still be warm and there will be fewer tourists with minimal rain.
- Sightseeing: Sightseeing can be done any time of the year. For the least amount of rainfall it’s best to explore from November–April. Avoid April if you don’t like the heat. The Chocolate Hills, Taal Volcano, Banaue Rice Terraces and Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park are some of the most popular attractions to see.
- Beach: November–April are the driest months of the year. March, April and May are the hottest making it the perfect time to lounge on the beach. May has the least crowds.
- Snorkelling and diving: Snorkelling and diving can be done throughout the year. The best time is from November–June with water temperatures ranging from 24°C–30°C. Cebu and Bohol offer some of the best diving in the Philippines. Boracay also holds a wide variety of underwater life.
- Surf: August until the beginning of November is the prime surfing season. May–July brings a smaller surf and less consistent conditions. December–April has a big swell making it an ideal time to surf. Some top surf spots include Siargao, Calicoan, Borongan and Lanuza.
- See whale sharks: Donsol has the largest school of whale sharks in the world. The best season is December–May but the most sightings occur from February to April.