Best time to visit Paris for sightseeing, honeymoons and more
Learn when to enjoy Paris like the locals without spending a fortune on your holiday.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Every season in Paris is a wonderful time to visit. Spring is romantic, autumn brings fashion week and the Nuit Blanche festival, summer is hot and perfect for relaxing in a park and winter has the city decorated in Christmas lights.
So no matter what type of holiday you’re looking for, we have the top suggestions for when to visit Paris.
Best time to visit Paris
March to May
Paris in springtime (March to May) is perfect as locals emerge from indoors to enjoy picnics in the park and stroll along the Seine.
The weather is mild from late March onwards with temperatures from 6°C-19°C, and the tourist crowds as well as the prices have yet to jump. You can expect afternoon rain showers, but they won’t ruin the day. Avoid visiting in Easter as there is a spike in prices.
You can visit Paris any time of the year. The cold winter (2°C-8°C), from December to February, has the smallest crowds, but attractions are still open and during the Christmas period, the city is decorated in lights.
Spring, from March to May, brings some rainfall, but the flowers are blooming and Paris is very picturesque. The temperatures are mild and range from 6°C-19°C. Summer, from June to August, is the peak tourist season as Europeans enjoy their holidays at this time. Temperatures reach 24°C and prices are the most expensive.
Autumn, from September to November, has events such as Nuit Blanche and you can enjoy lower prices and temperatures (5°C-20°C). Avoid September and fashion week, which is the first week of October, as prices for accommodation are still high.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Paris, weather wise. June to August has the warmest temperatures.
Cheapest time to visit Paris. December to February, other than the Christmas period, has the best travel deals.
Best time to visit Paris for...
- Notre Dame. Avoid the summer tourist period between June and August when you will have to deal with long lines at any time of the day. The mornings are crisp in spring and autumn but you will save yourself a lot of time waiting in line by getting to Notre Dame early when it opens at 8am. Tourist buses usually begin arriving at 9am and by 10am the lines are long. To climb the towers, you must be in line by 5pm.
- Disneyland Paris. January and February are the least busy months with Tuesdays to Thursdays being the least busy days throughout the year. However, if you want to avoid the cold weather, visit in spring (late-March to May). All rides are open and temperatures are mild. Visit in the morning or after 6pm for smaller crowds.
- For a honeymoon. Avoid summer (June to August) when locals flee and tourists take over. Spring, from late March to May, is when the city is the most romantic, has moderate prices and smaller crowds. Skip Easter when many Europeans visit Paris.
- The catacombs. Everyone rushes to visit the catacombs in the morning so your best bet for the shortest line is around 6pm. The official website suggests any time after 3pm. However, if visiting during holiday periods, lines are so long that you may not make it in. These guidelines are best in winter and spring (December to May) as long as you avoid the Christmas and Easter periods.
- The Louvre. The months from February to April are the least busy. Visit in the afternoon when lines die down, but avoid Tuesdays when the museum is closed. Use the Porte des Lions entrance where there are minimal lines.
- Paris and Rome. Paris and Rome experience the same tourist season in the summer. Both are ideal to visit in the spring (late March to May) when crowds have yet to pick up and prices are still low. Autumn is also similar but with cooler temperatures.
- Paris and Switzerland. April to May and September to October are ideal times to visit Paris and Switzerland to experience good weather. These shoulder months mean less crowds but prices do start to pick up. The weather is agreeable and will be pleasant for outdoor activities.
- Paris and Italy. Visit Italy first in late September and then Paris in October to skip fashion week’s high prices. The weather is mild and tourists flee the major cities at this time. Prices won’t be their lowest but will be lower than peak season and will pair well with the weather.
- Paris and London. Autumn in both Paris and London brings plenty of events that make the cities enjoyable. There is great outdoor weather, the prices are moderate and there are smaller crowds.
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|24 Oct 2020||Up to 75% off Australia activities + Extra up to 20% off with code||SAL****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|23 Oct 2020||Extra $50 off Sydney and NSW stays||NSW****|
|21 Oct 2020||Northern Territory activities from $36 + and extra $10 off off with code||FDR****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
Find out the best time to go to...
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes
More guides on Finder
This Jetstar sale gets you to the Northern Territory from $107
EXPIRED: Isn't it time you paid the Top End a visit?
Europe 2021 anyone? This Qatar Airways sale has dropped global fares from $1,159
EXPIRED: Book a flexible ticket now with the option to travel when you're ready. The streets of Spain, Italy, Greece, England and Turkey await with these flexible tickets that can be used for up to 24 months.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2020
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Hit up Europe from $1,025 return with this Singapore Airlines sale
EXPIRED: One of the world's best airlines has just made your globe trotting dreams a little bit cheaper.
Tigerair’s sale is flying you across Australia from $40
EXPIRED: You haven't seen a sunset until you've visited Kangaroo Island.
Best places to cruise in March
With the change of weather, March is often the last chance for many popular cruise destinations or the start of the warmer, dry season for others.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
This Etihad Airways sale is sweeping you off to Europe from $1,169
EXPIRED: The countdown is on so you'll have to get in fast!
Flights to New South Wales from $109 with this Qantas sale
EXPIRED: The holiday options are endless from Harbour Bridge views to Albury Botanical Gardens visits.
Ask an Expert