Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
From Darwin and Kakadu to Alice Springs and Uluru, check out when you should go based on weather, price and activities.
As one of Australia's northernmost states, the Northern Territory is prone to hot and wet weather. Considering a trip? Before you book, get wind of when's the best time of the year to go to suit your ideal itinerary.
When is the best time to visit the Northern Territory?
Wherever you're headed in the NT, the winter months of June, August and September offer warm weather with low humidity across the territory.
Those wishing to visit the Top End of the territory, including Darwin, should avoid travelling between November and April as this is cyclone season. It's also the summer months which welcome sweltering heat and average highs of 35℃.
Cheapest time to fly to the Northern Territory
For budget travellers, the summer season from December to February is the cheapest time to visit. Fair warning though – while fares are low, the temperatures and rainfall run high.
Northern Territory travel deals to save you a bundle:
Up to 20% off Australia tours
Available on select dates from April 2021 - April 2022 for trips to Cairns, Uluru, Perth, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia tours
Available on select 2020 and 2021 dates for trips to Byron Bay, Uluru, Perth, Whitsundays, Melbourne, Adelaide and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 10% off + $99 deposit on Australia and New Zealand tours
Available on select dates in 2021 to Adelaide, Melbourne, Darwin, Auckland, Christchurch and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 10% off + $99 deposit on early bookings
Available on select tours from 1 April 2021 - 31 March 2022. Destinations include Uluru, Perth, Darwin, Hobart, Auckland and more. Plus $99 deposit valid on tours fro 1 April - 31 October 2021. T&Cs apply.
Australia hot air balloon experience from $259
Available on select 2020 dates in Hunter Valley, Alice Springs, Byron Bay, Cairns, Melbourne and more.
Domestic flights from $99 each way with Virgin Australia
Available on select flights from August 2020 - May 2021 to Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Perth, Darwin, Melbourne and more. Sample fare is Sydney-Gold Coast.
Up to 20% off experiences
Valid on select experiences and activities like skydiving, scenic helicopter flight, kayaking, whale watching and more. Destinations include Sydney, Byron, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Darwin and Perth. T&Cs apply.
$99 Deposits on worldwide tours
Available for travel from 1 September 2020 - 31 October 2021. Destinations include Cairns, Uluru, Darwin, Auckland, Italy, Spain and more. T&Cs apply
Up to 25% off Darwin stays
Available on select stay dates until June 2021. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Australia tours
Available on select trips departing from 1 October - 31 Decemeber 2020 to Sydney, Byron Bay, Whitsundays, Darwin, Uluru, Cairns and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 60% off Darwin hotels
Available on select 2020 dates. T&Cs apply.
Darwin stays from $55/night
Available on select 2020 dates. Sample accommodation is at Down Under Hostels. T&Cs apply.
Darwin stays from $63/night
Available on select stay dates until December 2020. Sample rate is for H on Smith Hotel.
Darwin stays from $60 per night
Valid for travel on select dates from July 2020 onward. Sample fare is for a bed and breakfast at Johnston. T&Cs apply.
Up to 60% off advance bookings
Available for travel on select dates across Australia. Save up to 60% if you book in advance today. Destinations include Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Darwin, Gold Coast and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 5% off per person
Available for travel on select dates on bookings of 5-16 people. Destinations include Queenstown, Rotorua, Alice Springs, Uluru and more. T&Cs apply.
Hotel stays in Uluru from $370 per room
Snap up the perfect stay in Uluru from $370 per room. Price based on twin share.
Up to 10% off Big Bus tours
Valid on select tours in Abu Dhabi, Chicago, Darwin, Dubai, Hong Kong, Las Vegas, London, Miami, Muscat, New York, Paris, Philadelphia, Rome, San Francisco, Sydney, Vienna and Washington DC.
Dry and arid are terms that are synonymous with the Northern Territory. Its northern half, which includes Darwin and Kakadu, experiences weather similar to those in the tropics with dry, warm winters and wet, humid summers.
Its southern half, which includes Uluru and Alice Springs, sees more distinct seasons. Here, the summers are hot and dry, springs and autumns are warm and winters can get bitterly cold in the evening.
Autumn, winter and spring are peak seasons across the territory.
Summer is the low season due to the high temperatures and humidity.
Sunset Camel Ride
Alice Springs Hot Air Ballooning
Swim With Crocodiles in the Cage Of Death and Cove Entry
Best time to visit the Northern Territory for...
- Visiting Darwin: Mid-June to mid-September is the overall best time to see the territory's capital. The weather is cool, the skies are clear and there are a number of activities to experience, such as Darwin Festival.
- Hiking: Winter outdoor exploration across the state is best during winter when the weather is in its low 20s and there's little rainfall. However, if you're seeking to camp we recommend visiting in spring or autumn as winter night temperatures can drop to the single digits.
- Festivals: Art and cultural activities predominantly run August to October and give you a chance to immerse yourself in the local culture, traditions and music. Darwin Festival is in August, BASSINTHEGRASS in Darwin is in October and Parrtjima in Alice Springs is in September.
- Hiking through Uluru and Kata-Tjuta National Park: Make your trip to the Red Centre between May and September for temperatures that won't see you break a sweat. Well, not a heavy one anyway. Many of the hiking trails in this National Park are exposed so hiking in the coolest temperatures possible is ideal. Either way, you should bring a hat, sunscreen and plenty of water when out and about. To stay on budget, avoid the July school holidays as this is a peak period when the region is well received by tourists and locals alike.
- The Field of Light: This light illumination runs year-round at Uluru. There's no poor time to see it; however, if you visit during December you can catch a special Opera Australia performance amongst the lights. Details here.
Ask an Expert