New York City is a beautiful, popular place to visit anytime of the year thanks to the four distinct seasons that bring in colour, city events and holidays.
Depending on what you have on your itinerary, we’ve got the perfect suggestions for the ideal time to visit.
Best time to visit New York City
April to June and September to early November
These times offer mild, but warm, temperatures (6°C-27°C) that make sightseeing comfortable. There will be less crowds as locals are in school and you’ll avoid the peak season of July to August when summer holidaymakers flock to the city.
In early November, you can score on hotel deals, but make sure to book before the Thanksgiving holiday which is in late November.
New York has four distinct seasons that are all beautiful for travel. Summer, running from June to August, is the main tourist season with temperatures ranging from 16°C-28°C. Since it’s the most popular time, it also has the highest prices. Autumn, from September to November, turns the city colourful with autumn foliage and has mild temperatures of 4°C-23°C.
Winter, from December to February, is cold with temperatures ranging from -3°C-5°C. The city is covered in a blanket of snow and twinkling Christmas lights. Visit in winter outside of the Christmas period to get great prices. Spring, running from March to May, is perfect for mild weather and decent prices. Temperatures range from 1°C-19°C.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit New York City, weather wise. May to October offers a range of temperatures from mild to hot.
Cheapest time to visit New York City. You’ll find the best hotel prices in January and February, just after New Year’s when the weather is the coldest.
Best time to visit New York City for...
- Snow. For trees decorated in fluffy white powder, visit NYC in winter between the months of December and January. During these months, you’ll find the streets lined with Christmas lights and holiday mode will be in full swing with a large Christmas tree and a skating rink open at Rockefeller Center.
- Fall colours. September to November is when the leaves begin to change to rich colours of red, yellow, orange and purple. Central Park is the most popular spot for fall foliage but other spots include Fort Tyron Park, Prospect Park and the New York Botanical Garden.
- Sales. NYC offers shopping sales multiple times of the year during end-of-season sales. Mid-April is best for getting winter product discounts. In July, summer products start being discounted. The end of November brings the US’s most popular sale of the year, Black Friday, which usually has sales running for the week.
- Niagara Falls. June to August has the hottest weather (13°C-27°C) which is ideal since the mist and wind often make the area cooler. Crowds will be large but all of the attractions like the Maid of the Mist will be open. April is the best time to find a deal on accommodation, and all the attractions are still available. In winter, hotel prices drop but so does the temperature to well below 0°C. If it’s cold enough, the falls freeze which is a unique way to experience them.
- Sightseeing. April to June and September to early November are the best times to sightsee without having to deal with the crowds. The mild temperatures make it perfect for walking around the city and for taking the ferry to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty. Other attractions include Central Park, the Empire State Building and Times Square.
- Central Park. For the most colourful time, visit in September to early November for the autumn foliage. In May to August, the park is in full bloom with hot temperatures for sunbathing, walking and horse carriage rides. Avoid winter and early spring (late November to April) as the park will be brown with snow and cold.
- Christmas lights. After Thanksgiving, Christmas decorations at Rockefeller Centre and in store windows are put on display. From late November and all through December, decorations and lights will be on throughout the city. Some of the best store windows include Barney’s, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue. Other spots for decorations are the Winter Village at Bryant Park and the Lincoln Centre.
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|24 Mar 2020
||Up to 75% off Australia-wide stays + Extra 8% with code
|19 Mar 2020
||Extra 8% off on hotel bookings
|19 Mar 2020
||Extra 11% off hotels
|18 Mar 2020
||Extra $10 off sitewide with code
|11 Mar 2020
||Extra 8% off hotels
Find out the best time to go to...
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes