Best time to visit New York City for weather and prices
Find hot hotel deals and skip the crowds in one of the world’s top destinations: New York City.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
New York City is a beautiful, popular place to visit anytime of the year thanks to the four distinct seasons that bring in colour, city events and holidays.
Depending on what you have on your itinerary, we’ve got the perfect suggestions for the ideal time to visit.
Best time to visit New York City
April to June and September to early November
These times offer mild, but warm, temperatures (6°C-27°C) that make sightseeing comfortable. There will be less crowds as locals are in school and you’ll avoid the peak season of July to August when summer holidaymakers flock to the city.
In early November, you can score on hotel deals, but make sure to book before the Thanksgiving holiday which is in late November.
New York has four distinct seasons that are all beautiful for travel. Summer, running from June to August, is the main tourist season with temperatures ranging from 16°C-28°C. Since it’s the most popular time, it also has the highest prices. Autumn, from September to November, turns the city colourful with autumn foliage and has mild temperatures of 4°C-23°C.
Winter, from December to February, is cold with temperatures ranging from -3°C-5°C. The city is covered in a blanket of snow and twinkling Christmas lights. Visit in winter outside of the Christmas period to get great prices. Spring, running from March to May, is perfect for mild weather and decent prices. Temperatures range from 1°C-19°C.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit New York City, weather wise. May to October offers a range of temperatures from mild to hot.
Cheapest time to visit New York City. You’ll find the best hotel prices in January and February, just after New Year’s when the weather is the coldest.
Best time to visit New York City for...
- Snow. For trees decorated in fluffy white powder, visit NYC in winter between the months of December and January. During these months, you’ll find the streets lined with Christmas lights and holiday mode will be in full swing with a large Christmas tree and a skating rink open at Rockefeller Center.
- Fall colours. September to November is when the leaves begin to change to rich colours of red, yellow, orange and purple. Central Park is the most popular spot for fall foliage but other spots include Fort Tyron Park, Prospect Park and the New York Botanical Garden.
- Sales. NYC offers shopping sales multiple times of the year during end-of-season sales. Mid-April is best for getting winter product discounts. In July, summer products start being discounted. The end of November brings the US’s most popular sale of the year, Black Friday, which usually has sales running for the week.
- Niagara Falls. June to August has the hottest weather (13°C-27°C) which is ideal since the mist and wind often make the area cooler. Crowds will be large but all of the attractions like the Maid of the Mist will be open. April is the best time to find a deal on accommodation, and all the attractions are still available. In winter, hotel prices drop but so does the temperature to well below 0°C. If it’s cold enough, the falls freeze which is a unique way to experience them.
- Sightseeing. April to June and September to early November are the best times to sightsee without having to deal with the crowds. The mild temperatures make it perfect for walking around the city and for taking the ferry to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty. Other attractions include Central Park, the Empire State Building and Times Square.
- Central Park. For the most colourful time, visit in September to early November for the autumn foliage. In May to August, the park is in full bloom with hot temperatures for sunbathing, walking and horse carriage rides. Avoid winter and early spring (late November to April) as the park will be brown with snow and cold.
- Christmas lights. After Thanksgiving, Christmas decorations at Rockefeller Centre and in store windows are put on display. From late November and all through December, decorations and lights will be on throughout the city. Some of the best store windows include Barney’s, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue. Other spots for decorations are the Winter Village at Bryant Park and the Lincoln Centre.
Hot travel deals
Find out the best time to go to...
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 56% off Apple iPhone Xs Max, 60% off Sketchers sneakers, huge Blu-ray movie clearance.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
From tropical, offshore islands to scintillating wine regions, we've rounded up the best places to visit around the state .
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Where to travel in March in Australia
Say hello to autumn, dry season and harvest time in these five hot destinations around the world.
Best places to travel in February
5 holiday destinations that should to spend a few days to a week in this February.
Best places to cruise in December
Spend Christmas hopping between local Christmas markets or bathe in Queensland's blissful beaches.
The ultimate NBA travel guide for basketball fans
Australians love both the NBA and the US. Why not combine the two and design your holiday based on an NBA travel package?
Ask an Expert