Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Find out when to visit Nepal based on weather conditions, peak seasons and prices.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
When planning a trip to Nepal, you'll need to consider elements such as the seasons, crowds and prices. To get you on your way, we've considered all these options and come up with the ideal time for you to visit Nepal.
What is the best time to go to Nepal?
The best time to visit Nepal is between October and December. These months offer a high chance of clear skies, dry weather and moderate temperature. This is particularly ideal for mountain trekking.
If you want to avoid peak trekking season (and higher prices), consider going between February and April, the second tourist season.
May is the cheapest time to fly to Nepal. This is just after the peak season and before monsoons which hit between June and September. You'll save yourself from the downpour but there's a good chance of cloudy weather and intermittant rainfall. Temperatures sit around 30ºC during the day.
Nepal has four main seasons centred around the summer monsoon period between June and September. Autumn (October to the end of November) is the peak season for trekking.
Spring, between February and mid-April, is the second best time for trekkers, with warmer temperatures and longer days. However, views won't be as clear and stomach bugs are more common.
Winter, in December and January, is typically very cold, especially at night. This is ideal for experienced trekkers who want to enjoy amazing views without the crowds.
The pre-monsoon period from April to June brings rising heat and humidity levels. During the monsoon season, which lasts until September, you can expect heavy rain, cloudy weather and extremely hot temperatures. Leeches are common at this time and landslides and flooding may occur frequently.
Kathmandu's local hideout street food tour
Nagarkot sightseeing and day hiking from Kathmandu
Best time to visit Nepal for...
- Trekking/climbing. October to December serves up spectacular views and comfortable weather.
- Wildlife. Spring, from February to April, brings warmer temperatures and long days. These are ideal for viewing Nepal's rich wildlife and seeing the famous rhododendrons in full bloom.
- Cultural exploration. Enjoy the great weather and culture of Nepal's major festivals, Dashain and Tihar in October and November, respectively. Saraswati Puja and the Tibetan New Year celebrations take place in January. This month is ideal for adventurers who want to skip the crowds and are unafraid of the harsh winter conditions.
- Adventure sport. December and January are the perfect time for winter sports enthusiasts, particularly in Pokhara.
- Mountain biking. Winter is also great for touring Nepal by bike. The Kathmandu Kora Cycling Challenge draws in mountain bikers every July.
- Religious visits. April and May are a great time to explore Nepal's Buddhist culture as many pilgrims visit in these months to celebrate the birth of Buddha.
Find the best time to go to…
More guides on Finder
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in October 2020
Our top five Australia destinations to spend the middle of spring in. Plus, the best destinations to visit in Europe, USA, Asia and more for future travels.
Best time to visit the Bahamas for that sunny break
Before booking your trip, consult our guide for all the details on weather, peak seasons and recommended activities.
Best time to visit Newfoundland
Find the best time to visit Newfoundland no matter what you’ve got planned.
Best time to visit Jamaica
Whether you want to get your groove on at a Jamaican festival or relax at an all-inclusive beach resort, here’s the lowdown on the best time to visit Jamaica.
Best time to visit Machu Picchu
This guide covers what month to go and visit Machu Picchu based on seasons and weather, and the best time of day to enter.
Best time to visit Banff
Find out the best time to make the most of your visit Banff, no matter your budget or itinerary.
Best time to visit Spain
The months before and after summer are often the best times to visit Spain, although there are many reasons to go throughout the year.
Best cruises and cruise destinations in April
April brings spring flowers, off-peak crowds and an itinerary filled with potential for exploring new beaches, adventurous land activities or soaking in the culture of ancient cities.
Best autumn destinations in Australia to add to your list from March to May
The Australian autumn is truly a beautiful time to explore the nation, and to get you out and about we've honed in on eight destinations that really shine this season.
Ask an Expert