Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Find out when to visit Nepal based on weather conditions, peak seasons and prices.
When planning a trip to Nepal, you'll need to consider elements such as the seasons, crowds and prices. To get you on your way, we've considered all these options and come up with the ideal time for you to visit Nepal.
What is the best time to go to Nepal?
The best time to visit Nepal is between October and December. These months offer a high chance of clear skies, dry weather and moderate temperature. This is particularly ideal for mountain trekking.
If you want to avoid peak trekking season (and higher prices), consider going between February and April, the second tourist season.
May is the cheapest time to fly to Nepal. This is just after the peak season and before monsoons which hit between June and September. You'll save yourself from the downpour but there's a good chance of cloudy weather and intermittant rainfall. Temperatures sit around 30ºC during the day.
Cheapest time to fly to Nepal
Nepal has four main seasons centred around the summer monsoon period between June and September. Autumn (October to the end of November) is the peak season for trekking.
Spring, between February and mid-April, is the second best time for trekkers, with warmer temperatures and longer days. However, views won't be as clear and stomach bugs are more common.
Winter, in December and January, is typically very cold, especially at night. This is ideal for experienced trekkers who want to enjoy amazing views without the crowds.
The pre-monsoon period from April to June brings rising heat and humidity levels. During the monsoon season, which lasts until September, you can expect heavy rain, cloudy weather and extremely hot temperatures. Leeches are common at this time and landslides and flooding may occur frequently.
Kathmandu's local hideout street food tour
Nagarkot sightseeing and day hiking from Kathmandu
Best time to visit Nepal for...
- Trekking/climbing. October to December serves up spectacular views and comfortable weather.
- Wildlife. Spring, from February to April, brings warmer temperatures and long days. These are ideal for viewing Nepal's rich wildlife and seeing the famous rhododendrons in full bloom.
- Cultural exploration. Enjoy the great weather and culture of Nepal's major festivals, Dashain and Tihar in October and November, respectively. Saraswati Puja and the Tibetan New Year celebrations take place in January. This month is ideal for adventurers who want to skip the crowds and are unafraid of the harsh winter conditions.
- Adventure sport. December and January are the perfect time for winter sports enthusiasts, particularly in Pokhara.
- Mountain biking. Winter is also great for touring Nepal by bike. The Kathmandu Kora Cycling Challenge draws in mountain bikers every July.
- Religious visits. April and May are a great time to explore Nepal's Buddhist culture as many pilgrims visit in these months to celebrate the birth of Buddha.
Find the best time to go to…
Ask an Expert