When is the best time to visit Japan?
Summer, winter, autumn or spring are all a good idea when it comes to visiting Japan.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Japan is the kind of country you can enjoy all year round. Which month you decide on comes down to where you’re going and what you want to do.
Here’s a breakdown to ensure your decision perfectly matches your interests.
Best time to visit Japan
March to May and September to October.
For cool, dry weather, the best times to wander the streets and gaze upon Japan’s plethora of temples without the heavy crowds are during spring and autumn.
Avoid April, however, as this is peak season due to the country’s famous cherry blossoms.
Japan’s has four distinct seasons: winter, spring, summer and autumn. Over winter the temperatures can dip to 0℃, making it ideal for winter sports though not so much for sightseeing.
Summers are plagued with a four-week-long period of rain between June and August so are best avoided unless you’re in town for a summer festival or to comb the resort town of Okinawa, which reaches temperatures of 28–31℃ during this time. The north generally experiences cooler temperatures than the south.
Peak periods in Japan include April due to cherry blossom season, June and August due to the summer holiday period, and December to March due to snow season.
If you’re seeking to avoid the crowds, it’s best to avoid these months and activities.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Japan, weatherwise: September to April. These are Japan’s autumn, winter and spring periods and are when the country experiences comfortable, dry temperatures.
Cheapest time to visit Japan: Flights and hotels are cheapest in late summer between July and August but are still reasonable in the less rainy months of September and October.
Best time to visit Japan for...
- Cherry blossoms: While cherry blossoms can bloom as early as January, the best time to catch them is early April. This is also one of Japan’s peak months.
- Hiking and climbing Mount Fuji: Due to the nature of the climb, Mount Fuji is only open to hikers from 1 July to early September yearly. Conditions are most stable between late July and early August.
- Scuba diving in Okinawa: The resort town of Okinawa hides some of the world’s best diving spots with high visibility and all manner of marine life, such as hammerheads and manta rays. Peak season in Okinawa is summer from June to August, however the weather stays pleasant up until November.
- Snow sports: Snow season in Japan is from mid-December to mid-April. Shoulder season is in late-November to mid-December and mid to the end of April.
- For festivals: The summer months of June and August are when cities come to life with festivals of fireworks, floats and music. But be warned that summer brings with it high humidity and rainfall in many areas.
Hot Japan travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|25 Jan 2021||$25 off Australia tandem skydives with code||25F****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|2 Dec 2020||Up to 10% off international flights with code||MAS****|
|22 May 2020||Extra 9% off hotel bookings||AUT****|
|25 Jan 2021||$20 off Australia-wide rentals||FIN****|
Find out the best time to go to...
More guides on Finder
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
The 2021 events worth saving your annual leave for
Here are the music, arts, sporting and cultural events to look forward to (and book your holidays around) in 2021.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Converse “Sakura” Chuck 70 collection: First look
Update your spring wardrobe with two adorable new takes on Converse's most iconic silhouette.
Where to travel in March from Australia
Say hello to autumn, dry season and harvest time in these five hot destinations around the world.
Score flights to Tokyo from $689 with Virgin Australia
EXPIRED: Watch the cherry blossoms bloom, visit Mount Fuji or experience a sumo wrestle for yourself.
Score big on this Qantas sale with Japan flights from $577 return
EXPIRED: It's time to stop thinking about your next trip, this offer has you sorted.
Jetstar return for FREE sale boasts Japan flights from $269 return
EXPIRED: Discover snow-capped mountains, cherry blossoms and the Olympics.
ANA Airways is offering $725 return airfares on Tokyo flights
EXPIRED: See why Japan is one of the top Australian holiday destinations.
Ask an Expert