When is the best time to visit India?
See India at its best when the weather is cool, the flights are affordable and the crowds are few.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We considered price, temperature and season to figure out the time of year to visit India that provides the perfect balance of all.
Best time to visit India
We recommend visiting between October and March.
Why should I go then?
By October India says goodbye to its monsoon season, leaving you with months of cooler weather and dry days into March. Due to these ideal weather conditions, this time of year is peak season but you can steer clear of the worst of it by travelling during the shoulder months of October and March and by avoiding the Christmas period from mid-late December.
Latest India travel deals
Stay for 3, Pay for 2
Available for Mastercard holders on stays until 30 September 2021. Destinations include Australia, Fiji, India, Maldives, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam and more. Prepayment is required. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off last-minute trips
Valid for travel on select dates in 2020 and 2021. Destinations include Europe, UK, the Middle East, Argentina, India, Asia, New Zealand, Australia and Africa and more. T&Cs apply.
Up to 15% off Intrepid tours
Available on select travel dates. Destinations include Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, New Zealand, India, Japan and more.
Up to 50% off cultural tours
Available on select travel dates until 2022. Destinations include Egypt, Morocco, India, Peru, Greece, Vietnam, Cambodia, Turkey and more.
Up to 50% off wildlife tours
Available on select travel dates in India, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Peru, South Africa, Sri Lanka and more.
India observes three seasons: summer, winter and monsoon. Summer occurs between March and June and is generally dry and dusty with highs of 32–40℃. Winter (October–April) is mild and is the best time to travel with average highs of 10–15℃ in the northwest and 20–25℃ in the southeast. Monsoon season hits between July and September.
India is a popular destination for travellers worldwide and sees its highest influx of tourists during the northern and southern hemispheres’ summer breaks. That is, between June and July and December and January. Bargain travellers wanting to avoid high season should not visiting during these periods.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit India, weather-wise: November to February are the coolest months of the year.
Cheapest time to visit India: Search for cheap flights and hotels in October and March or book early to snap up the best prices for peak season flights and stays.
Best time to visit India for…
- Sightseeing and temple-hopping: The cool, dry months of October to March are best for discovering the Indian nation.
- Festivals and events: Festivals are prevalent throughout the year. Popular events include Holi (March), Diwali (October) and New Year (April).
- Beaches: As winters in India are mild, beaches are good year-round. Popular beaches like Goa and Gokarna are best between October and January. However, during monsoon season they’re not to be ignored as they still offer a unique landscape of algae-laden pathways, thundering waterfalls and thriving foliage.
- Mountain hiking: Due to its altitude, India’s mountain regions experience less scorching summers and colder and damper winters. Hiking is good all year round depending on what style of trek you’re aiming for. For example, the Himalayan Hampta Pass and Markha Valley tracks are best at the end of summer (June and October) while the verdant Valley of Flowers trek is best in July and August when the flowers are in full bloom. The Kareri Lake Track on the other hand is popular during winter (December–April) as it’s a sight to behold when it’s frozen over.
- Outdoor activities: While outdoor activities can be experienced year round, winter is the best time to undertake them as the weather is cool and dry.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 58% off BBQ Grill Fire Pits, cheap Oculus Quest 2 VR headsets, win $10,000 with Optus.
10 essential tips: Travelling with kids to Kangaroo Island
No trip to South Australia is complete without a visit to Kangaroo Island, but for families travelling with kids, you need to be prepared.
Qantas sale drops new Queensland fares for 2022 travel dates
Climb Cradle Mountain in Tassie or snorkel your way through tropical Far North Queensland.
The best body moisturisers and lotions in Australia for 2021
We found the 13 best body moisturisers for all budgets and skin types.
Qantas sale: Fly to Melbourne for $99 from which cities?
Lock in next year's Melbourne holiday and beat the tourist crowds.
Canberra road trip itineraries
You’ll have the car packed up in no time with these Canberra road trip must-sees.
Jetstar sale: $33 flights and 17 cities on sale
It's a great time to book travel while low sales prices continue for destinations all around Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
11 best tips for families visiting Dubbo Zoo: Parents’ guide
Dubbo Zoo is a great experience for families with kids of all ages, but get the inside tip in our parents' guide before you go.
Ask an Expert