When is the best time to visit India?
See India at its best when the weather is cool, the flights are affordable and the crowds are few.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
We considered price, temperature and season to figure out the time of year to visit India that provides the perfect balance of all.
Best time to visit India
October and March
By October India says goodbye to its monsoon season, leaving you with months of cooler weather and dry days into March. Due to these ideal weather conditions, this time of year is peak season but you can steer clear of the worst of it by travelling during the shoulder months of October and March and by avoiding the Christmas period from mid-late December.
India observes three seasons: summer, winter and monsoon. Summer occurs between March and June and is generally dry and dusty with highs of 32–40℃. Winter (October–April) is mild and is the best time to travel with average highs of 10–15℃ in the northwest and 20–25℃ in the southeast. Monsoon season hits between July and September.
India is a popular destination for travellers worldwide and sees its highest influx of tourists during the northern and southern hemispheres’ summer breaks. That is, between June and July and December and January. Bargain travellers wanting to avoid high season should not visiting during these periods.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit India, weather-wise: November to February are the coolest months of the year.
Cheapest time to visit India: Search for cheap flights and hotels in October and March or book early to snap up the best prices for peak season flights and stays.
Best time to visit India for…
- Sightseeing and temple-hopping: The cool, dry months of October to March are best for discovering the Indian nation.
- Festivals and events: Festivals are prevalent throughout the year. Popular events include Holi (March), Diwali (October) and New Year (April).
- Beaches: As winters in India are mild, beaches are good year-round. Popular beaches like Goa and Gokarna are best between October and January. However, during monsoon season they’re not to be ignored as they still offer a unique landscape of algae-laden pathways, thundering waterfalls and thriving foliage.
- Mountain hiking: Due to its altitude, India’s mountain regions experience less scorching summers and colder and damper winters. Hiking is good all year round depending on what style of trek you’re aiming for. For example, the Himalayan Hampta Pass and Markha Valley tracks are best at the end of summer (June and October) while the verdant Valley of Flowers trek is best in July and August when the flowers are in full bloom. The Kareri Lake Track on the other hand is popular during winter (December–April) as it’s a sight to behold when it’s frozen over.
- Outdoor activities: While outdoor activities can be experienced year round, winter is the best time to undertake them as the weather is cool and dry.
Hot India travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|21 Oct 2020||Up to 75% off Australia activities + Extra up to 30% off with code||REM****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|9 Oct 2020||Extra $50 off Sydney and NSW stays||NSW****|
|8 Oct 2020||Northern Territory activities from $36 + Extra $10 off off with code||FDR****|
Find out the best time to go to...
Ask an Expert