When is the best time to visit India?
See India at its best when the weather is cool, the flights are affordable and the crowds are few.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We considered price, temperature and season to figure out the time of year to visit India that provides the perfect balance of all.
Best time to visit India
October and March
By October India says goodbye to its monsoon season, leaving you with months of cooler weather and dry days into March. Due to these ideal weather conditions, this time of year is peak season but you can steer clear of the worst of it by travelling during the shoulder months of October and March and by avoiding the Christmas period from mid-late December.
India observes three seasons: summer, winter and monsoon. Summer occurs between March and June and is generally dry and dusty with highs of 32–40℃. Winter (October–April) is mild and is the best time to travel with average highs of 10–15℃ in the northwest and 20–25℃ in the southeast. Monsoon season hits between July and September.
India is a popular destination for travellers worldwide and sees its highest influx of tourists during the northern and southern hemispheres’ summer breaks. That is, between June and July and December and January. Bargain travellers wanting to avoid high season should not visiting during these periods.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit India, weather-wise: November to February are the coolest months of the year.
Cheapest time to visit India: Search for cheap flights and hotels in October and March or book early to snap up the best prices for peak season flights and stays.
Best time to visit India for…
- Sightseeing and temple-hopping: The cool, dry months of October to March are best for discovering the Indian nation.
- Festivals and events: Festivals are prevalent throughout the year. Popular events include Holi (March), Diwali (October) and New Year (April).
- Beaches: As winters in India are mild, beaches are good year-round. Popular beaches like Goa and Gokarna are best between October and January. However, during monsoon season they’re not to be ignored as they still offer a unique landscape of algae-laden pathways, thundering waterfalls and thriving foliage.
- Mountain hiking: Due to its altitude, India’s mountain regions experience less scorching summers and colder and damper winters. Hiking is good all year round depending on what style of trek you’re aiming for. For example, the Himalayan Hampta Pass and Markha Valley tracks are best at the end of summer (June and October) while the verdant Valley of Flowers trek is best in July and August when the flowers are in full bloom. The Kareri Lake Track on the other hand is popular during winter (December–April) as it’s a sight to behold when it’s frozen over.
- Outdoor activities: While outdoor activities can be experienced year round, winter is the best time to undertake them as the weather is cool and dry.
Hot India travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|25 Jan 2021||$25 off Australia tandem skydives with code||25F****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|2 Dec 2020||Up to 10% off international flights with code||MAS****|
|22 May 2020||Extra 9% off hotel bookings||AUT****|
|25 Jan 2021||$20 off Australia-wide rentals||FIN****|
Find out the best time to go to...
More guides on Finder
Best hiking tents in Australia
These are the seven best hiking tents you can buy right now in Australia.
Christmas comedown: 1 in 4 Aussies worried about housing costs
One in four (25%) Australians are worried about how they will pay the rent or mortgage after Christmas, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site. Find out how the Finder App can help save you money in 2021.
Things to do on Boxing Day in Adelaide filled with fun in the sun
Book a day out at the beach, the winery, the cinema or more this Boxing Day with these top activities.
Best swags in Australia
These are the 7 best swags you can buy right now in Australia.
Things to do on Boxing Day in Melbourne 2021
Go out for brunch, hit the beach, cruise the waterways and more. Here's what to get up to on Boxing Day in Melbourne.
Best perfume for women in Australia
Here are the 7 best perfumes for women you can buy right now in Australia.
Bushfire season: 1 in 2 regional Aussies not prepared
Despite last year’s unprecedented bushfire season, millions of Australians are not taking measures to protect their homes, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Till bells ringing: Australians set to spend $17 billion this Christmas
The pandemic may have changed the way we celebrate this year, but it hasn’t put a dampener on Christmas spending according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site
Five million Australian households slash their summer bills
Electricity customers are bracing themselves for the summer surge, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
This Qantas sale has you saying hello to Tasmania from $149
EXPIRED: It's time to see Tasmania once again with Qantas.
Ask an Expert