Best time to visit Iceland
Grab some inspiration to time your trip to Iceland just right.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you want to catch the stunning Northern Lights or travel around the Golden Circle by road, we’ve uncovered the best times to visit Iceland to suit your itinerary.
Best time to visit Iceland
November to February for the Northern Lights, May to September for other sights.
The Northern Lights contort in the skies over Iceland between September and March, but the months of November to February are colder and have longer nights so there’s a slightly better chance of seeing them at this time. You’ll have to wrap up warm though as temperatures can dip below freezing in winter.
For exploring Iceland’s waterfalls, hiking routes, hot springs and the Golden Circle touring route, summer is the best to the visit the country. There’s a good chance of sunshine at this time of year and temperatures can reach 17°C.
Weather in Iceland is unpredictable. Winter tends to run from October to April and temperatures hover around 0°C, although this can drop to -10°C in the higher areas.
Things start warming up in May and by August the mercury can climb as high as 17°C, although 13°C is more usual. The conditions can get pretty windy, too.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Iceland weatherwise: June to August.
Cheapest time to visit Iceland: October and March.
Best time to visit Iceland for...
- Northern Lights. November to February, when nights are long and skies are more likely to be clear of clouds due to the low temperatures.
- Sightseeing. Many of Iceland’s museums and attractions close between October and April, so the best time to visit is in summer. Exploring the country’s hot springs and waterfalls is also best done in the warmest months. Visit in April or May and you might miss the summer crowds but you also run the risk of experiencing more dull, rainy, cold days.
- Midnight sun. Nights start getting light across the whole of Iceland in mid-May and the midnight sun lasts until around early August.
- Festivals. Summer is festival season in Iceland. Music festivals like Secret Solstice and the Reykjavik Dance Festival, and cultural events like the Reykjavik Arts Festival all spring to life in July and August.
- Glaciers. Some glacier adventures run year-round in Iceland, but certain activities like ice cave tunnel tours are best done in winter – October to April – when the glaciers are at their strongest.
Hot travel deals
Find the best time to go to…
More guides on Finder
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
From tropical, offshore islands to scintillating wine regions, we've rounded up the best places to visit around the state .
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Where to travel in March in Australia
Say hello to autumn, dry season and harvest time in these five hot destinations around the world.
Best places to travel in February
5 holiday destinations that should to spend a few days to a week in this February.
Australian sale events in 2020
SPONSORED: Mark the best sale events of 2020 on your calendar and shop smart all year round.
Best places to visit in October
Our top five Australia destinations to spend the middle of spring in. Plus, the best destinations to visit in Europe, USA, Asia and more for future travels.
Best time to visit the Bahamas for that sunny break
Before booking your trip, consult our guide for all the details on weather, peak seasons and recommended activities.
Best time to visit Newfoundland
Find the best time to visit Newfoundland no matter what you’ve got planned.
Ask an Expert