The Great Ocean Road has a ton of natural treasures under its belt. We did the research and found the best time to travel the Great Ocean Road to make your journey more enjoyable.
Best time to visit the Great Ocean Road
February-March or October-November
The shoulder seasons offer warm weather with relatively dry days. This season offers off-peak prices and thinning crowds. Spring in particular is an idyllic time to visit for waterfalls as this is when they're at their fullest due.
The weather along the Great Ocean Road is pleasant year-round with maximum and minimum yearly temperatures being 22°C and 6°C respectively.
Summer (December to February) receives minimal rainfall and ample sunshine making it a great time to enjoy a variety of water activities. But it comes at the cost of large crowds and hiked prices at hotels along the way.
Spring (September to November) is the perfect time to explore waterfalls, greenery and other inland natural treasures while travelling in winter provides you the benefits of lower prices, beautiful sunsets and a less chaotic journey.
Winter is ideal for those watching their wallets as it's the least crowded months of the year. This is not only due to the lowered temperatures but due to rainfall, which is the highest in August. It's also the optimal time to catch the whale migration.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Great Ocean Road, weather wise. Although there isn’t much difference in temperature year-round, the average rainfall along the Great Ocean Road is lowest in summer (December to February). This is the perfect season of the year for water activities.
Cheapest time to visit Great Ocean Road. Due to less traffic, flights and accommodations are less expensive in winter (June to August).
Best time to visit Great Ocean Road for...
- Visiting the 12 Apostles. The 12 Apostles is an excellent place to visit throughout the year, but you are more likely to get dry and clear weather from January to March. If you want to avoid crowds and view the magical burst of colours, visit the site during dawn or dusk.
- Hiking. Similar to the 12 Apostles, hiking is best during the clear and dry months of January to March.
- Waterfalls. After the winter rains, the waterfalls near the Great Ocean Road fill with water cascading down into lush valleys. This makes spring (September to November) an ideal time to explore the waterfalls and surrounding landscape.
- Skydiving and helicopter rides. Skydiving and helicopter rides are good throughout the year as the weather is constantly pleasant.
- Beaches and surfing. Summer (December to February) is your best bet if you want to indulge in surfing, snorkelling, swimming and beach lounging.
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|12 Nov 2019
||Up to 54% off site-wide + Extra $25 off with code
|7 Nov 2019
||Year-end sale: Extra $40 off experiences with code
|5 Nov 2019
||Extra 15% off Australia-wide business flights with code
|5 Nov 2019
||Up to 75% off worldwide hotels + extra 5% off with code
|5 Nov 2019
||Up to 50% off experiences + extra 10% off with code
Find out the best time to go to...