The Great Ocean Road has seemingly constant weather throughout the year. Find out what makes some seasons more suitable for certain experiences.
The Great Ocean Road has a ton of natural treasures under its belt. We did the research and found the best time to travel the Great Ocean Road to make your journey more enjoyable.
Best time to visit the Great Ocean Road
June to August
Winter (June to August) has gentle weather due to the calming ocean winds. This season also offers incredible sunsets thanks to clearer skies. You will miss out on water activities in winter, but there are good chances for whale watching all along the journey.
An additional benefit is that winter is not as congested as the summer, so accommodations are easily available, traffic is less chaotic and prices are low.
The weather along the Great Ocean Road is pleasant year-round with maximum and minimum yearly temperatures being 22°C and 6°C respectively.
Summer (December to February) receives minimal rainfall and ample sunshine making it a great time to enjoy a variety of water activities. But it comes at the cost of large crowds and hiked prices at hotels along the way.
Spring (September to November) is the perfect time to explore waterfalls, greenery and other inland natural treasures while travelling in winter provides you the benefits of lower prices, beautiful sunsets and a less chaotic journey.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Great Ocean Road, weather wise. Although there isn’t much difference in temperature year-round, the average rainfall along the Great Ocean Road is lowest in summer (December to February). This is the perfect season of the year for water activities.
Cheapest time to visit Great Ocean Road. Due to less traffic, flights and accommodations are less expensive in winter (June to August).
Best time to visit Great Ocean Road for...
- Visiting the 12 Apostles. The 12 Apostles is an excellent place to visit throughout the year, but you are more likely to get dry and clear weather from January to March. If you want to avoid crowds and view the magical burst of colours, visit the site during dawn or dusk.
- Hiking. Similar to the 12 Apostles, hiking is best during the clear and dry months of January to March.
- Waterfalls. After the winter rains, the waterfalls near the Great Ocean Road fill with water cascading down into lush valleys. This makes spring (September to November) an ideal time to explore the waterfalls and surrounding landscape.
- Skydiving and helicopter rides. Skydiving and helicopter rides are good throughout the year as the weather is constantly pleasant.
- Beaches and surfing. Summer (December to February) is your best bet if you want to indulge in surfing, snorkelling, swimming and beach lounging.