Best time to visit Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road has seemingly constant weather throughout the year. Find out what makes some seasons more suitable for certain experiences.
The Great Ocean Road has a ton of natural treasures under its belt. We did the research and found the best time to travel the Great Ocean Road to make your journey more enjoyable.
February-March or October-November are the best times to visit Great Ocean Road. Outside of the peak tourist season, but still bringing warm weather and relatively dry days, these months offers off-peak prices and thinning crowds.
Spring in particular is an idyllic time to visit for waterfalls as this is when they're at their fullest due.
The months of December to February see the lowest amount of rainfall along the Great Ocean Road. They're also the warmest months of the year, which is ideal if you want to visit (and swim) the pristine beaches or hit the surf along the way.
Being on Australia's south coast, don't expect water temperatures to be warm. It ranges between just 16-19°C during the summer months - but this is the warmest time of the year to swim.
While the weather is at its peak this time of year, so are the crowds. Expect more traffic on the road, which could mean limited parking at lookout points and beaches along the way - especially if coach tours are
The winter months from June to August see the coolest temperatures, and much fewer tourists, along the Great Ocean Road. This drives down demand and accommodation prices drop in the coastal towns along the way, like Lorne and Apollo Bay.
While there are fewer crowds, the weather isn't as ideal as other months. These months also see the highest rainfall, which peaks in August. Clouds and fog along the way can hinder views.
But if you're able to book at the last minute once a forecast is available, there are more perks to travelling this time of year than just cheaper hotels. There's also less traffic and it's the optimal time to catch the whale migration.
Best time to visit Great Ocean Road for...
- Visiting the 12 Apostles. The 12 Apostles is an excellent place to visit throughout the year, but you are more likely to get dry and clear weather from January to March. If you want to avoid crowds and view the magical burst of colours, visit the site during dawn or dusk.
- Hiking. Similar to the 12 Apostles, hiking is best during the clear and dry months of January to March.
- Waterfalls. After the winter rains, the waterfalls near the Great Ocean Road fill with water cascading down into lush valleys. This makes spring (September to November) an ideal time to explore the waterfalls and surrounding landscape.
- Skydiving and helicopter rides. Skydiving and helicopter rides are good throughout the year as the weather is constantly pleasant.
- Beaches and surfing. Summer (December to February) is your best bet if you want to indulge in surfing, snorkelling, swimming and beach lounging.
Latest Great Ocean Road travel deals:
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|5 Aug 2020||Extra 8% off on hotel bookings||CLP****|
|4 Aug 2020||Extra 10% off experiences with code||RBF****|
|29 Jul 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|13 Jul 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|22 May 2020||Extra 9% off hotel bookings||AUT****|
Find out the best time to go to...
Ask an Expert