Find out the best time to visit this Asian nation based on all those niggling holiday musts.
We’ve taken into account clear skies, pleasant temperatures, less crowds and budget-friendly flights to figure out the winning time to see China.
Best time to visit China
April-June and September-October
Spring and autumn afford cool, pleasant temperatures throughout most of China’s popular cities. Travelling during these dates also means you’ll avoid the major school holiday breaks around the world (July-August and December-January).
China experiences all four seasons. Expect cold and snow in the winter and heat and humidity in the summer. As the country is so vast, temperatures vary greatly depending on your location and elevation, so it’s best to decide which cities you’d like to see before deciding on when to visit them.
China is a popular destination with Australians and business people, so for less crowds and bigger bargains, steer clear during the holiday peak periods of June-July and December.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit China, weather wise: April-June and September-October offer cool weather in many tourist destinations.
Cheapest time to visit China: You can find the lowest prices from December to February as the weather drops to freezing in many tourist cities. For bargains with more pleasant temperatures, search for deals between March and April or between October and November when the weather is either warming up or cooling down.
Best time to visit China for…
- Sightseeing. Sightseeing is good all year round though you should avoid the summer when monsoons are prevalent.
- Festivals and events. Two of China’s major festivals are Chinese New Year (January or February) and National Day (1 October). Both are must-see experiences for visitors.
- Mountain exploration. You should visit mountainous areas such as Tibet and Inner Mongolia during summer as winters in China’s mountains can be harsh.
- Snow sports and attractions. China’s top ski resorts include Alshan, Yabuli, Huaibei, Nanshan and Xiling. They are in season between November and April.
- Visiting the countryside. Visiting the countryside is good all year round, but it is best during the cooler spring and autumn shoulder months.
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|16 Sep 2019||10% off local experiences||10F****|
|10 Sep 2019||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|31 Jul 2019||Extra 8% off flights worldwide||AUM****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 15% off airport parking across Australia||AWA****|
|9 Apr 2019||Up to 50% off experiences + extra 10% off with code||FIN****|