Find out the best dates to enjoy pleasant weather and low prices, as well as activities and festivals, in Canberra.
If you’re planning a trip to Canberra, use our guide to make the most of your trip. We’ve compiled a snapshot of the best months to visit based on weather, prices and crowds.
Best months to visit
March to May.
Spring and autumn are ideal seasons to take a break in Canberra as they both bring pleasant weather to the capital.
However, during autumn you also get the chance to celebrate Canberra Day, the Canberra Hot Air Balloon Festival, and the National Folk Festival, which takes place all over the city. With so much to do, and at a time when the city is draped in vivid hues of crimson, gold, ochre and russet, autumn in Canberra is hard to beat.
Canberra has a dry continental climate, with hot summers and chilly winters. January is the hottest month, reaching a maximum average temperature of 29°C. During winter, temperatures can drop to -1°C at night.
Precipitation is evenly distributed throughout the year, with snowfall in winter and thunderstorms in summer.
Since Canberra is situated at an altitude of 577 metres, heavy fog and occasional frost is quite common in winter, making it the quietest tourist season of the year.
- Spring: September to November
- Summer: December to February
- Autumn: March to May
- Winter: June to August
Weather and prices
Best time to visit for weather: Spring and autumn have comfortable temperatures with minimal rain.
Cheapest time to visit: Prices are at their lowest during winter when there are fewer tourists due to the misty and freezing weather, and the absence of long holiday breaks.
Best time to visit Canberra for:
- Floriade. The largest flower festival in the Southern Hemisphere is held from mid-September until mid-October.
- Wineries. Grapes develop fully during February and March, making this the ideal time to explore vineyards, watch grapes being plucked and taste delectable wines.
- Museums: Visit Canberra’s impressive museums during winter to take your time and enjoy them in a quieter atmosphere. The museums are warm and comfortable at this time of year.
- Sightseeing: Both spring and autumn have pleasant weather for roaming around the city, and hopping from one attraction to another.
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|26 Jun 2019||Extra 15% off with code||FIN****|
|26 Jun 2019||Up to 15% off site-wide with code||MEG****|
|25 Jun 2019||Extra 10% off whale watching with code||FIN****|
|25 Jun 2019||$30 off car rentals||FIN****|
|19 Jun 2019||Extra $10 off with code||FIN****|