Find the perfect balance for your Auckland adventure, with great weather to match your activities of choice.
We found the ideal time to visit Auckland and explore the wide range of activities the city has to offer, without compromising on price or great weather.
Best time to visit Auckland
December to February.
With so many outdoor activities on offer in Auckland, the summer months of December to February are perfect for some new adventures.
Although this is peak tourist season in New Zealand, most visitors head outside the major cities, so you won’t feel overwhelmed if you choose to stay in Auckland.
Summer in Auckland is a popular time for Australians to visit as it combines school and Christmas holidays with New Zealand’s hottest months, with temperatures from 15 to 30℃.
The cooler winter months of June to August, when temperatures only reach a high of 18℃, can limit your range of outdoor activities.
If you’re looking for the best time to go price-wise without sacrificing too much on the weather, October and April are less busy but the days can still be pleasant.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Auckland, weatherwise: December to February are the warmest months of the year with the least amount of rain.
Cheapest time to visit Auckland: May to September are the cooler months, where the number of visitors drop along with the prices. October or April are better options if you’re looking for a reduced prices without full-on winter weather.
Cheapest time to visit over the Christmas holidays: If you're debating whether to visit before or after Christmas (let's face it Christmas week is going to be expensive) then the way to go is after. According to HotelsCombined data accommodation is cheaper when you stay between 16 February - 2 March, averaging $147.33 per night, than if you book for 10-24 November which averages $171 per night . These figures are based on stays for 3-5 star hotels booked for 2018-2019 dates.
Best time to visit Auckland for…
- Sightseeing. Since Auckland’s weather is generally pleasant year-round, there is no bad time for sightseeing. Depending on your weather preference, you can take in all the sights that Auckland has to offer during the warmest months of December to February (15–30 ℃) as well as the coolest months of June to August (5–18℃).
- Outdoor activities. To avoid the busiest times on the hiking trails, head to Auckland in autumn (March to May) when the temperatures are still warm and the trees are starting to change colour. To take full advantage of outdoor activities such as beaches and nearby islands, travel between December and February.
- Extreme sports. Extreme sports are available year-round but are best during the summer months.
- Snow sports. June to August are Auckland’s winter months, with August the best to hit the slopes.
- Waiheke Island's wineries: Summer months from December until March are the most popular times to visit, with the hop-on/hop-off vineyards bus only operating during these months.
Latest Auckland travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|19 Jun 2019||Extra $10 off with code||FIN****|
|19 Jun 2019||Summer sale: $130 off train tickets with code||1SU****|
|19 Jun 2019||Extra 10% off whale watching with code||FIN****|
|18 Jun 2019||Up to 50% off experiences + extra $40 off site-wide with code||SAV****|
|17 Jun 2019||Extra 15% off with code||FIN****|