The best time to visit Amsterdam to cruise the canals and gaze on tulips
Find out when to visit Amsterdam for the ideal mix of affordability and attractions.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Bike around the city’s canals, smell the tulips during their best season and experience Amsterdam as the locals do. We’re sharing the best time to visit Amsterdam so that you can spend less time researching and save money on accommodation while still experiencing the city at its best.
Best time to visit Amsterdam
September to October
Autumn in Amsterdam is the best season to visit the bustling city. Crowds are minimal as locals are back in school and the busy summer tourist season has finished. Temperatures drop (7°C-18°C), but so do prices on airfare and accommodation. Nightlife is still busy, but with locals instead of tourists.
Amsterdam experiences four distinct seasons, and each one has its reasons for visiting. Summer (June to August) is the peak tourist season and is the time when most people in Europe have their holidays. Temperatures range from 7°C-21°C, which makes it ideal for sightseeing.
Autumn (September to October) experiences less crowds. Temperatures are mild but outside activities are still enjoyable. Winter (November to February) has the smallest crowds and the cheapest prices. Temperatures are low, between 0°C-9°C, and the city is dreary, but it’s fine if you’re spending time indoors.
Spring (March to May) is the start of the tourist season as temperatures rise to 2°C-17°C. Prices also jump as the tulips begin to bloom in late March. Amsterdam has unpredictable weather, but it’s full of festivals you can enjoy year round.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Amsterdam, weather wise. Summer, between June and August, has the hottest temperatures but outdoor activities are still enjoyable.
Cheapest time to visit Amsterdam. Winter, from November to February, has the coldest temperatures but also has the cheapest accommodation and airfare prices.
Best time to visit Amsterdam for...
- Tulips. The end of March to early May is tulip season, but the best time to catch them is in mid-April. Keukenhof in Lisse has the widest variety of tulips in one spot, but in mid-April, tulips can be found almost anywhere in the city.
- Anne Frank’s house. For the smallest crowds, visit in winter when there are less tourists in the city. If you want to avoid the cold weather, as the line to get inside is outside, the ideal time to visit is autumn. In autumn, spring and summer, the museum is not as busy early in the morning when it opens at 9am and after 6pm.
- City sightseeing. Autumn (September to October) has smaller crowds but still has mild weather. You can go sightseeing outdoors easily as lines drop significantly in size.
- Red light district. You can visit the red light district any time of the year, but it is best to experience the district at night when it’s more alive. This is typically between 5pm and 1am from Thursday to Sunday.
- Cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest. May to June offers less crowds without the summer heat. A late November cruise can show you the European Christmas markets.
- Coffee shops. You can enjoy weed year round at coffee shops in Amsterdam. The smallest crowds will be in winter (November to February).
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Northern Territory activities from $36 + and extra $10 off off with code||FDR****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|7 Oct 2020||$20 off nationwide rentals||FIN****|
Find out the best time to go to...
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes
More guides on Finder
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
NSW has a lot to show you. We've rounded up the best places to visit around the state – from offshore islands to wine regions to the original highlights of this diverse land.
Day trips from Amsterdam you can make by rail
From Brussels to Zaanse Schans, here are 10 destinations you can make a day trip to from Amsterdam.
Best places to cruise in March
With the change of weather, March is often the last chance for many popular cruise destinations or the start of the warmer, dry season for others.
Top 9 eco hotels in Amsterdam
You can have a clean conscience thanks to these eco-friendly hotels in Amsterdam.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Where to travel in March from Australia
Say hello to autumn, dry season and harvest time in these five hot destinations around the world.
Best places to travel in February 2020
5 holiday destinations that should to spend a few days to a week in this February.
Best places to cruise in January 2020
Find where you should be cruising to in January for exotic sights, incredible food and even better views.
Save on your next island escape with full-service Vanuatu flights from $499 return
EXPIRED: Explore this island paradise for less, during peak holiday dates.
Ask an Expert