Find out when to visit Amsterdam for the ideal mix of affordability and attractions.
Bike around the city’s canals, smell the tulips during their best season and experience Amsterdam as the locals do. We’re sharing the best time to visit Amsterdam so that you can spend less time researching and save money on accommodation while still experiencing the city at its best.
Best time to visit Amsterdam
September to October
Autumn in Amsterdam is the best season to visit the bustling city. Crowds are minimal as locals are back in school and the busy summer tourist season has finished. Temperatures drop (7°C-18°C), but so do prices on airfare and accommodation. Nightlife is still busy, but with locals instead of tourists.
Amsterdam experiences four distinct seasons, and each one has its reasons for visiting. Summer (June to August) is the peak tourist season and is the time when most people in Europe have their holidays. Temperatures range from 7°C-21°C, which makes it ideal for sightseeing.
Autumn (September to October) experiences less crowds. Temperatures are mild but outside activities are still enjoyable. Winter (November to February) has the smallest crowds and the cheapest prices. Temperatures are low, between 0°C-9°C, and the city is dreary, but it’s fine if you’re spending time indoors.
Spring (March to May) is the start of the tourist season as temperatures rise to 2°C-17°C. Prices also jump as the tulips begin to bloom in late March. Amsterdam has unpredictable weather, but it’s full of festivals you can enjoy year round.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Amsterdam, weather wise. Summer, between June and August, has the hottest temperatures but outdoor activities are still enjoyable.
Cheapest time to visit Amsterdam. Winter, from November to February, has the coldest temperatures but also has the cheapest accommodation and airfare prices.
Best time to visit Amsterdam for...
- Tulips. The end of March to early May is tulip season, but the best time to catch them is in mid-April. Keukenhof in Lisse has the widest variety of tulips in one spot, but in mid-April, tulips can be found almost anywhere in the city.
- Anne Frank’s house. For the smallest crowds, visit in winter when there are less tourists in the city. If you want to avoid the cold weather, as the line to get inside is outside, the ideal time to visit is autumn. In autumn, spring and summer, the museum is not as busy early in the morning when it opens at 9am and after 6pm.
- City sightseeing. Autumn (September to October) has smaller crowds but still has mild weather. You can go sightseeing outdoors easily as lines drop significantly in size.
- Red light district. You can visit the red light district any time of the year, but it is best to experience the district at night when it’s more alive. This is typically between 5pm and 1am from Thursday to Sunday.
- Cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest. May to June offers less crowds without the summer heat. A late November cruise can show you the European Christmas markets.
- Coffee shops. You can enjoy weed year round at coffee shops in Amsterdam. The smallest crowds will be in winter (November to February).
Hot travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|17 Jun 2019||Extra 15% off with code||FIN****|
|13 Jun 2019||Up to 50% off hotels + extra 10% off with code||FIN****|
|13 Jun 2019||Up to 75% off + Extra 5% off hotels worldwide||FIN****|
|30 May 2019||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 15% off airport parking across Australia||AWA****|