When is the best time to travel to Europe?
For those of us who aren’t making the trip for a festival or a white Christmas, these dates will give you great weather for a fraction of the cost.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Holidaymakers with a penchant for warm, sunny days and streets that aren’t packed to the hilt with tourists, take note: these months will give you all that and more when you travel to Europe.
The best time to travel to Europe
March to June and September to October.
Spring and autumn offer warm to hot days and are just outside of the peak holiday periods, ie, the European summer and Christmas break. Being shoulder months, they offer less crowds and less expensive flights and accommodation.
Compare hostel prices in 170+ countries around the world for the best rate from Hostelworld
Find the perfect hostel in destinations across Europe including London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam and more. Why use Hostelworld?
- Choose from more than 36,000 properties worldwide
- Free cancellation within 7 days or arrival
- 24/7 customer service available
Europe experiences four seasons. Summers are warm to hot with countries such as Spain, Greece and Italy enjoying some of the highest temperatures of 30℃+. Winters are cold and can be harsh in some of the northernmost countries such as Russia, Belarus and the Baltics.Europe is a popular destination for holidaymakers worldwide, especially during the summer, so unless you’re attending a summer festival, it’s best to steer clear during July and August.
Weather and prices
The best time to visit, weatherwise: July and August provide the best weather, however, to avoid the summer breakers, travel during the shoulder months of May and June and September and October.
The cheapest time to visit: Search for flight deals during the low-season months of March to June and September to October.
The best time to visit Europe for…
- To avoid crowds: Summer and winter are the busiest months of the year for Europe so you'll find travelling in spring or autumn less crowded.
- On a budget: Search for flights and hotel deals at the end of season, from August to September or during winter (excluding the Christmas and New Year's holiday week).
- Eastern Europe: Eastern Europe can be visited all year round as it has warm to hot summers and snow-filled winters. As winters can be harsh, you might like to travel in shoulder months when outdoor activities such as hiking are open.
- Central Europe: Central Europe can be visited all year round and, similar to Eastern Europe, it has hot summers and snow-filled winters. Spring and autumn are ideal months to visit as they offer pleasant weather.
- Mediterranean: Peak season is when the resorts in the Mediterranean open their doors to visitors. To avoid paying peak prices, travel during the beginning or end of season.
- Northern Europe: The best time to visit Europe's north depends on your travel intent. During summer, you'll enjoy long days and the midnight sun in certain destinations. During winter, you'll have a few short hours of daylight each day but you'll also likely have a white Christmas and may even see the Northern Lights in certain locations. For general sightseeing, spring and autumn feature mild to warm temperatures and are best for outdoor activities.
Hot Europe travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|19 Jan 2021||Up to 15% off Australia rentals||HOL****|
|18 Jan 2021||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|18 Jan 2021||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|2 Dec 2020||Up to 10% off international flights with code||MAS****|
Find out the best time to go to...
More guides on Finder
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or 4WDing, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Best swags in Australia
These are the 7 best swags you can buy right now in Australia.
Best reusable water bottles in Australia
Check out the 8 best reusable water bottles available in Australia.
This Jetstar sale gets you to the Northern Territory from $107
EXPIRED: Isn't it time you paid the Top End a visit?
Europe 2021 anyone? This Qatar Airways sale has dropped global fares from $1,159
EXPIRED: Book a flexible ticket now with the option to travel when you're ready. The streets of Spain, Italy, Greece, England and Turkey await with these flexible tickets that can be used for up to 24 months.
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
11 ideas for romantic getaways in Tasmania that will sweep you off your feet
From glass cabins that overlook forests to luxurious seaside escapes, these Tasmanian getaways offer the perfect romantic adventure.
How to plan a road trip for two | A couple of travel makers
Our personal tips and tricks on how to map out your road trip and what to pack for one smooth ride.
The Click Frenzy™ Julove 2020 travel deals to snap up
Score up to 40% off hotel stays, 30% off flights, 25% off holiday parks, 20% off attraction passes and so much more in the 2020 Julove sale.
Ask an Expert