Best time to see whales in Sydney in 2021
Find out the best time to spot the majestic humpback migration near the city.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you’re a tourist looking to catch your first glimpse of a whale, or even if you’re a Sydney local looking for an exciting new activity, we have researched the best times to spot these beautiful animals in Sydney.
Best time to see whales in Sydney
From April to November you'll have the best chance of spotting whales off the coast of Sydney.
- Best time to see whales in Sydney, weather-wise: The warmest times to go will be during the beginning and end of the season, as they're not in the deepest part of winter, but a sunny day in winter is also ideal as temperatures average in the mid teens.
- Best time of day to see whales in Sydney: While whales can pass by at any time, the water is generally calmer in the morning, which can make it easier to spot whales in the distance as they can easily blend in with the swell, and it's better if you're prone to sea sickness.
- Cheapest time to see whales in Sydney: If you're looking for the cheapest time to go whale watching on a cruise, you're best to stick to the start and end of the season, meaning early April and late November when there are often cruise deals available on group buying sites like Groupon and Scoopon. However, this does decrease your chances of seeing whales.
Our top picks for whale watching experiences in Sydney
Sydney whale watching
Whale watching cruise
When is whale watching season in Sydney?
Beginning in April, humpback whales migrate from the cold Antarctic waters up to the warm South Pacific each year to give birth, as the warmer water is more suitable to newborn calves. Southern right whales are also commonly seen in Australian waters. They make their return journey as late as November.
During the 5,000 kilometre journey, whales pass along Australia's coasts - including the New South Wales coast near Sydney.
Best vantage points for whale watching in Sydney
Getting out onto the water is the best way to see whales in Sydney, as the ship can more easily move to different locations along the coast and travel offshore and you'll have the expertise of onboard guides.
However, if you're not keen on a boat tour, there is the chance to see whales from the shore.
These spots are free to visit and are high above the water, offering a better view into the distance.
- Bondi: Ben Buckler
- Botany Bay National Park: Cape Solander
- Collaroy: Long Reef Point
- Maroubra: Magic Point
- La Perouse: Cape Banks
Looking for the best options for whale watching in Sydney? Check out our page with the latest offers and coupons that can help you save on your tour.
Hot deals on whale watching in Sydney
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 78% off Electric Treadmills, Xbox Series X, 75% off Shiraz wine packs.
How to watch 2021 Charity Shield: South Sydney Rabbitohs vs St. George Illawarra Dragons live and free
South Sydney Rabbitohs take on St. George Illawarra Dragons in the annual NRL Charity Shield match.
Best massage guns in Australia for 2021
Looking to buy a massage gun? We’ve rounded up the best ones to try.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Best caravan parks in Port Hughes
Here are the caravan parks worth staying at along the Copper Coast.
Port Stephens hotels | Where to stay in the sandy beaches north of Sydney
Compare Port Stephens hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Kiama hotels | Where to stay in the coastal town south of Sydney
Compare Kiama hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Best caravan parks in Mannum
Find the best caravan parks in Mannum and explore the heart of the Murray River.
Ask an Expert