If seeing the Northern Lights is one of the things you're hoping to tick off your bucket list, you're in luck.
From Iceland to Sweden to Alaska and Norway, there are a handful of countries you can visit to catch the aurora borealis AKA the Northern Lights, and Canada is right up there with some of the best.
Hit the back country of Yukon Territory, Yellowknife, Whitehorse, Calgary or Manitoba with a jeep and a prayer and you could see yourself blessed with a view of this natural light show as it dances across the skies.
If you're searching for the best times to see the Northern Lights in Canada, we've sussed out the answer. Read on for our tips and tricks and then prepare to get your camera out, you're not going to want to miss a moment of the action.
The best time to see the Northern Lights in Canada
December to March.
December through March offers the longest hours of darkness in Canada and the Northern Lights are best seen at the darkest time of night.
Canada's northern provinces extend deep into the Arctic Circle and offer some of the most amazing locations from which to see the Northern Lights. Visiting towns that are furthest away from major cities will ensure the least amount of light pollution and the best view of the Lights.
Although it's ideal to visit during the darkest months, planning your holiday for the beginning or the end of winter will mean cheaper accommodation and tour prices.
Northern Lights Eco Escape
Canadian Rockies and Northern Lights
5-Day Active Winter adventure in Yukon
Weather and prices
The best time to see the Northern Lights, weather-wise: Travelling between September and November and between February and March will mean that you avoid the coldest winter months.
The cheapest time to see the Northern Lights: Travelling during the shoulder months, such as in early September or late March, will mean cheaper hotels and tour prices though reduces your chance of catching the lights. Alternatively, try searching for package deals during December and January.
The best time to see the Northern Lights in...
- The Northwest Territories: Located in Canada's far north, visitors have a higher chance of seeing the Northern Lights in this sparsely populated province during the late autumn and winter months when the days are the shortest - in late December, the sun sets at about 3pm.
- Alberta: Once outside of the city, you can view the lights at anytime from September through to May in Alberta. Combine a northern lights trip with a visit to Banff National Park for a truly magical experience.
- Manitoba: The town of Churchill in Manitoba has one of the heaviest concentrations of aurora activity and it’s best to visit between January and February. In Manitoba you can also see incredible wildlife such as beluga whales and polar bears.
- Ontario: Although one of Canada's more southerly provinces, there is still a chance to see the lights here, with the greatest odds in the depth of winter from January to February at the darkest time of the night in the hours around midnight.
- British Columbia: British Columbia offers a range of places to see the Northern Lights, especially when travelling during the darker months from December to March. British Columbia also offers some of the world’s best skiing, which can be done in the colder seasons.
- Yukon: Travellers visiting Yukon between December and March are likely to see the Northern Lights more than once. Like the Northwest Territories, the days are short during the winter. Yukon also offers a great range of activities during the winter months, with a huge selection of day tours and nature-based activities.
Search for a flight to Canada:
To get closest to the lights, we'd recommend searching for flights to places like Yellowknife in the Northwest Territory, Edmonton or Calgary in Alberta or Whitehorse in the Yukon.
Latest travel deals to Canada:
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|20 May 2019||Extra 8% off hotel bookings||8OF****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 30% off Groupon purchase||HUG****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 58% off Vivid Sydney cruises + Extra 10% off with code||FIN****|
|20 May 2019||10% off domestic flights with code||GPR****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 10% off international flights with code||HNV****|