We took your holiday factors into consideration and came up with the best time to visit London for weather and price.
Best time to go to London
September to November.
In autumn, the weather is mild and the crowds from peak tourist season disappear. All of the main attractions are still available to visit as weather doesn’t affect London much. Many festivals and annual events also occur in autumn.
London has four distinct seasons, all of which are opposite of Australia’s. The summers can get hot (18-30℃) and the winters are quite cold (2-6℃). Spring brings rainfall and the air warms to 11-15℃. Autumn turns the leaves red with mild temperatures that are similar to spring. December is the wettest month of the year and July is the driest.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit London, weather wise. June to August will let you take advantage of the hot weather.
Cheapest time to visit London. September to October is when you’ll find the cheapest flights and accommodation.
Cheapest time to visit over Christmas. It might have markets and snow over the Christmas season but London doesn't get too pricey between November and January with HotelsCombined bookings for 3-star hotels averaging $136.05 per night between 22 December and 5 January. This drops to $110 per night on average, when staying between 16 February and 2 March and to $112 when staying between 10 and 24 November. So while there is a price difference, it's not by much.
Best time to visit London for...
- Sightseeing. You can go sightseeing year round depending on your preference for heat or cold. The ideal time to see the parks and the main attractions is during the summer months of June to August.
- Shopping. Again, it depends on personal preference as you can go shopping any time of the year. If you plan to hit the high streets, then shopping would be ideal in the summer months of June and August. The best time of year for sales is post-Christmas in January.
- Festivals. Annual events like Halloween and the Totally Thames festival are on mostly in autumn between the months of September and November. But if you’re looking for music festivals like the Meltdown festival or the Summertime Ball, then visit in the summer months of June to August.
- Riding the London Eye. Summer (June to August) has the longest days to enjoy London’s attractions. However, autumn (September to November) has smaller crowds. For the best experience, avoid spring (March to May) when there is the most rainfall.
- Visiting Madame Tussauds. You can visit Madame Tussauds any time of the year because it is indoors. It’s least busy in the morning when it opens at 10am.
Best time to go to London and Paris
For the best weather, both cities are excellent in summer from June to August. However, this is peak tourist season so if you’d like to steer clear of the crowds and be more budget-friendly, then autumn (September to November) is best. In September, kids go back to school so there will be no competition with locals traveling either.
Hot travel deals to London
Popular Travel coupon codes
|16 Jan 2020
||Up to 40% off worldwide hotels + Extra 8% off with code
|10 Jan 2020
||Extra 8% off hotels
|9 Jan 2020
||Up to 75% off worldwide hotels + extra 5% off with code
|4 Nov 2019
||Get $20 credit
|28 Oct 2019
||Extra 9% off hotel bookings
Find out the best time to go to...