Best time to go to London
When to visit chic London without the rain and the crowds.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
We took your holiday factors into consideration and came up with the best time to visit London for weather and price.
Best time to go to London
September to November.
In autumn, the weather is mild and the crowds from peak tourist season disappear. All of the main attractions are still available to visit as weather doesn’t affect London much. Many festivals and annual events also occur in autumn.
London has four distinct seasons, all of which are opposite of Australia’s. The summers can get hot (18-30℃) and the winters are quite cold (2-6℃). Spring brings rainfall and the air warms to 11-15℃. Autumn turns the leaves red with mild temperatures that are similar to spring. December is the wettest month of the year and July is the driest.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit London, weather wise. June to August will let you take advantage of the hot weather.
Cheapest time to visit London. September to October is when you’ll find the cheapest flights and accommodation.
Cheapest time to visit over Christmas. It might have markets and snow over the Christmas season but London doesn't get too pricey between November and January with HotelsCombined bookings for 3-star hotels averaging $136.05 per night between 22 December and 5 January. This drops to $110 per night on average, when staying between 16 February and 2 March and to $112 when staying between 10 and 24 November. So while there is a price difference, it's not by much.
Best time to visit London for...
- Sightseeing. You can go sightseeing year round depending on your preference for heat or cold. The ideal time to see the parks and the main attractions is during the summer months of June to August.
- Shopping. Again, it depends on personal preference as you can go shopping any time of the year. If you plan to hit the high streets, then shopping would be ideal in the summer months of June and August. The best time of year for sales is post-Christmas in January.
- Festivals. Annual events like Halloween and the Totally Thames festival are on mostly in autumn between the months of September and November. But if you’re looking for music festivals like the Meltdown festival or the Summertime Ball, then visit in the summer months of June to August.
- Riding the London Eye. Summer (June to August) has the longest days to enjoy London’s attractions. However, autumn (September to November) has smaller crowds. For the best experience, avoid spring (March to May) when there is the most rainfall.
- Visiting Madame Tussauds. You can visit Madame Tussauds any time of the year because it is indoors. It’s least busy in the morning when it opens at 10am.
Best time to go to London and Paris
For the best weather, both cities are excellent in summer from June to August. However, this is peak tourist season so if you’d like to steer clear of the crowds and be more budget-friendly, then autumn (September to November) is best. In September, kids go back to school so there will be no competition with locals traveling either.
Hot travel deals to London
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|23 Oct 2020||Extra $50 off Sydney and NSW stays||NSW****|
|21 Oct 2020||Northern Territory activities from $36 + and extra $10 off off with code||FDR****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
|20 Oct 2020||Extra 10% off Australia activities with code||RBF****|
Find out the best time to go to...
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Europe 2021 anyone? This Qatar Airways sale has dropped global fares from $1,159
EXPIRED: Book a flexible ticket now with the option to travel when you're ready. The streets of Spain, Italy, Greece, England and Turkey await with these flexible tickets that can be used for up to 24 months.
Jetstar slashes prices from $89 on Gold Coast to Hobart route
EXPIRED: Consider your summer holiday plans sorted.
Sydney date ideas: Art events in October 2020
Fill your October agenda with these artistic dates around the city.
The best gin in Australia for 2020
Treat your taste buds with our round-up of the best gins in Australia.
10 most popular travel destinations for Australians in 2021
Naturally, Bali made the cut, but so did Kuala Lumpur, Broome and New Delhi. See the full list here.
Holiday homes in Adelaide | Where to book and where to stay
From beachfront homes to penthouses in the heart of the city, get ready to discover your dream holiday home in Adelaide.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2020
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Northern Territory travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Everything you need to know about accommodation, attractions, national parks and transport to safely travel around the NT.
Ask an Expert