Best time to visit Bangkok
Beat the crowds in Bangkok by using our tips on the ideal time to travel for weather and prices.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We found the best time to visit Bangkok for your favourite activities.
Know what times to avoid for peak season, extreme heat, humidity and Thai holidays.
Best time to visit Bangkok
It's May and November.
Bangkok can be visited any time with its hot and humid temperatures consistent year-round. May and November are the shoulder months of the wet season so rain won’t impact a trip significantly as showers are often short.
Temperatures range from 23°C to 34°C with mid-high levels of humidity. May and November are considered to be in the low season, meaning less crowds and lower prices on flights and accommodation.
Latest Bangkok travel deals
Up to 30% off things to do in Bangkok
Available on select dates. Activities include Siam Niramit show, Ladyboy show, dinner cruise, SEA LIFE Ocean World, Bicycle rides and more.
Even though Bangkok can be visited year-round, its claim as one of the hottest cities in the world has visitors avoiding the city streets from March to June when temperatures frequently reach above 30°C. The wet monsoon season runs from July to October. The best weather of the year is also the peak tourist season from November to February. Expect high humidity from April to October.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit Bangkok, weather-wise: December–February are the coldest months of the year with the lowest humidity.
Cheapest time to visit Bangkok: May–October when it is hotter, humidity peaks and heavier rainfalls begin.
Best time to visit Bangkok to...
- Honeymoon: Mid-November to mid-December is the best time to avoid the high tourist prices, crowds, holidays and celebrations. The temperatures and humidity drop in November and though prices may begin to rise because it’s the beginning of the tourist season, it is ideal because of the nicer weather.
- Temple-hop: December to February are the Thai winter months and the coolest months of the year. Humidity is low making walking around the congested city more pleasurable. Crowds peak at this point so to avoid them, travel in the shoulder months of May and November.
- Beach: The beach can be enjoyed any time of the year. May–October brings the least amount of crowds. March–May are the hottest months when waters are the warmest.
- Snorkel and dive: Diving can be done in Thailand year-round. The best time to see whale sharks and manta rays is February–May. November–April is the best diving season. February to May is best for the west coast islands while the opposite season of May–October is ideal for the east coast islands.
- Surf: June–August brings the best waves for surfers. They are considered small but are suitable for beginners. The water temperature is warm.
- Shopping: Any time of the year is great for shopping in Bangkok. Malls are plentiful and open seven days a week. Some of the best malls to visit are CentralWorld, MBK Centre and the Platinum Fashion Mall. Chatuchak Market is Bangkok’s biggest market and is open on Sundays.
Best time to visit Bangkok and Phuket:
Phuket is affected by a monsoon season so the best time to visit is from January to March. This works well for travel in Bangkok as well when temperatures and humidity are lower. It is peak season for both Phuket and Bangkok so crowds and higher prices are expected. Early December before the Christmas festivities begin is the best time for lower prices, minimal rainfall and fewer crowds.
Best time to visit Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya:
The peak tourist season of November–February brings the best weather for all three destinations. To avoid the crowds and higher prices travel during the shoulder season of November and late February to avoid the Christmas holidays and Chinese New Year celebrations.
More guides on Finder
Canberra road trip itineraries
You’ll have the car packed up in no time with these Canberra road trip must-sees.
Best Chromebooks in Australia
Work, learn and play with one of the best Chromebooks you can get your hands on in Australia right now.
November’s best balance transfer credit card offers: Cut your debt with 0% deals
Get your credit card debt sorted before the holiday season and save on interest for up to 30 months with one of these credit card offers.
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
AirAsia BIG sale discounts 6 million seats with flights from $80
EXPIRED: Set your 2021 travel plans in motion.
Best places to cruise in March
With the change of weather, March is often the last chance for many popular cruise destinations or the start of the warmer, dry season for others.
Best time to visit Nepal for sunny skies and optimal trekking conditions
Uncover the best times to visit Nepal for clear weather, good trekking conditions, cultural exploration, wildlife spotting and more.
Where to travel in March in Australia
Say hello to autumn, dry season and harvest time in these five hot destinations around the world.
Score flights to Tokyo from $689 with Virgin Australia
EXPIRED: Watch the cherry blossoms bloom, visit Mount Fuji or experience a sumo wrestle for yourself.
Ask an Expert