When is the best time to cruise New Zealand?
Figure out the best time to visit beautiful New Zealand based on weather conditions, peak season and prices.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Take to the waters around New Zealand for one of the best ways to see the incredible coastline’s beaches and fjords.
Best time to cruise New Zealand
We recommend visiting from November to March.
Why should I go then?
Being summer, November through March are the warmest months in New Zealand, meaning it is best for those nature-based shore excursions. Cruise options are also much more limited during the winter months.
Latest New Zealand cruise deals
Up to 71% off holiday cruises
Available on select cruises in 2021 and 2022 with Royal Caribbean, Carnival Cruises, MSC cruises and more. Destinations include Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Singapore, Caribbean, Bahamas and more. T&Cs apply.
Australia and New Zealand cruises from USD$228
Available on select dates in 2021-2022 with Royal Caribbean, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America Line and more. Sample rate is for a 3-night cruise with Carnival Cruises.
New Zealand is a popular cruise destination due to its beautiful scenery and the summer months are usually the busiest and most expensive.
It can be a good idea to travel in the shoulder months of October–November and March–April, to make your trip a little less expensive and not as crowded.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit New Zealand, weather-wise: December through to March is the best time to visit New Zealand for a cruise, as they are the warmer months.
Cheapest time to cruise New Zealand: October, November and April are good options to cruise New Zealand on a budget, as they are out of the peak season but the weather will still be relatively warm. If you're concerned about poor weather affecting your cruise but are tempted by the bargains that can be had during the off season, cruise travel insurance can help compensate you for changes to your itinerary and give you peace of mind for your sailing.
Best time to take shore excursions in New Zealand to...
- Fiordland: December to February will be the warmest time to be on the water in New Zealand’s far south, and will be the most pleasant to experience the World Heritage Sites – Milford and Doubtful Sounds – as this destination is amazing for trekking and kayaking. Many cruises in the area will sail right into these fjords.
- Rotorua (from Tauranga): November to May are the warmest and driest months to see the area’s hot thermal springs, bubbling mud and the famous Pohutu Geyser.
- Auckland: December to April should grant you days at 20 degrees or more and are the drier months to visit New Zealand’s largest city.
- Hobbiton (from Tauranga): November to May are the warmest and driest months to take an excursion to Hobbiton, which is mostly outdoors.
- Marlborough: While any time of year is ideal for visiting the area’s famed cellar doors, summer in Marlborough brings long, sunny days and perfect weather for exploring the area’s walking tracks and waterways.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert